Honda Class Action suit update...

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
I didn't see anything new in this Scotty Kilmer video -- other than, in his opinion, it's a crappy settlement. And by that he means crappy for owners, which by extension could mean a good settlement for Honda, I suppose. IMHO it's just a ridiculously weak lawsuit.

If interested I encourage reading the 3 scenarios, if you haven't already done so. Pages 6-12 in the pdf of the complaint that's posted at the settlement website listed in the notice sent to members of the class. (For reference, here's the link: https://www.settlement-claims.com/OilDilution/CourtDocuments.html)

tldr:
#1 is in Minnesota, a 6-month old car with 5K miles that threw warning lights and went into limp mode. Towed to dealer who found the oil level was "excessively high". After 2 weeks at the dealer they replaced the oil and filter. No mention of the code(s) that would have presented with a MIL, and that's a shame. I've read a number of posts on this forum where people have stated their oil level was way up -- in some cases by 1 quart, which sure would be a lot of gasoline -- but I have yet to see anyone here connecting a MIL to high oil levels. Granted, civicx is a small population and not representative of the whole but wouldn't we see someone reporting a MIL due to oil being too high? Especially with so many here having this engine much longer than 6 months.

#2 is a car in Southern Calif with 14K miles that suddenly presented loud ticking, stalled and presented MILs. Towed to dealer who diagnosed the issue as contaminated fuel. (Read that again: not contaminated/diluted oil.) Owner refused the recommended gas tank removal and cleaning and towed the car to another dealer. After 6 weeks, that dealer diagnosed a broken intake camshaft.
"Reeves Honda, with assistance of Defendant’s technical hotline, determined that plastic debris at
the head gasket area of Plaintiff’s vehicle had caused the camshaft failure."
Wait, what about that contaminated fuel?

#3 is a car in Atlanta GA with 10K miles that has an elevated oil level. His beef is perceived diminished value.

I stated in another thread that a lawsuit is not going to determine the ground truth to what is a technical/engineering situation -- only time will tell. But as I'm not tuned I plan to change my oil regularly and run 0W-20 until my extended warranty expires.