tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Honda could've put the 2.0ltr turbo into an awd version of the Honda Fit. There is already an AWD version on the fit in South America. I loved my Honda Fit.
The GR Yaris has a reason to exist, it's a WRC homologation vehicle. I don't see any reason why Honda would want to put the R&D into developing the 2.0T into an AWD Fit.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
This video was making some rounds yesterday. Apparently the GR Yaris has two variants, a performance model with an LSD and stickier rubber and the standard. They really should be testing the performance model against the CTR, it'll probably be closer in price though.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The GR Yaris has a reason to exist, it's a WRC homologation vehicle. I don't see any reason why Honda would want to put the R&D into developing the 2.0T into an AWD Fit.
I wasn't being reasonable. It would just be a cool concept. As for reason, it would've made sense (to me) for Toyota to have made a Corolla GR since the Corolla is the Civic's direct competitor. Why the Yaris? Yaris competed with the Fit. Since the Yaris 'went there' with this monster, Honda could to with their Fit.....despite Fit sales diminishing in the U.S.

I'd rather have a 1.5ltr turbo Honda Fit as that hatch was perfect for me. I simply traded it in so my wife would have smaller car payments on her first car (2018 Honda Civic 1.5T). Loved that car, despite the little power it had. I didn't care for my Honda Civic for whatever reason but it has grown on me. The Fit hatches size and lightweight (Mine was 2350lbs after I reduced some weight) had me ? all over it.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I wasn't being reasonable. It would just be a cool concept. As for reason, it would've made sense (to me) for Toyota to have made a Corolla GR since the Corolla is the Civic's direct competitor. Why the Yaris? Yaris competed with the Fit. Since the Yaris 'went there' with this monster, Honda could to with their Fit.....despite Fit sales diminishing in the U.S.

I'd rather have a 1.5ltr turbo Honda Fit as that hatch was perfect for me. I simply traded it in so my wife would have smaller car payments on her first car (2018 Honda Civic 1.5T). Loved that car, despite the little power it had. I didn't care for my Honda Civic for whatever reason but it has grown on me. The Fit hatches size and lightweight (Mine was 2350lbs after I reduced some weight) had me ? all over it.
I'm not sure why Toyota chose the Yaris, but it does have a shorter wheel base than the Corolla which would be advantageous for rally racing. If there was any reason for Toyota to choose the Fit over the Corolla it would be that. Keep in mind that Toyota wasn't building a car to rival the Golf R, Focus RS, or Civic Type R. They were building a car to compete in rally, the production model just came because of rules.

The thing to keep in mind is that Toyota wasn't building a production car, they were building a rally car, the production car was only built because rules. I do agree a performance oriented Fit would be dope. Honda could build it to compete with the Fit, but then it might pull sales away from the Si and Type R lines.

Janssen098

First Name
Janssen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
I had to look up the Yaris gr because to me Yaris is like 110 hp so was curious what was going up against the type r. That little thing is 268hp and only a 3 cylinder engine? Jesus that’s impressive I wonder if it will ever come to the us.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I had to look up the Yaris gr because to me Yaris is like 110 hp so was curious what was going up against the type r. That little thing is 268hp and only a 3 cylinder engine? Jesus that’s impressive I wonder if it will ever come to the us.
Toyota has been reading a hot hatch for the US. Rumors point to it being a Corolla, but they’re rumors.

Janssen098

First Name
Janssen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
Toyota has been reading a hot hatch for the US. Rumors point to it being a Corolla, but they’re rumors.
I looked it up last night and the article does say the smart choice would be a Corolla hatch since the Toyota website says the Yaris will not be in the us. So that leaves Corolla or what the Prius? And I highly doubt Prius would get the gr treatment. I current have a 20 si so not looking for a car at the moment but If it is a Corolla hatch will be on my list of next cars.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I looked it up last night and the article does say the smart choice would be a Corolla hatch since the Toyota website says the Yaris will not be in the us. So that leaves Corolla or what the Prius? And I highly doubt Prius would get the gr treatment. I current have a 20 si so not looking for a car at the moment but If it is a Corolla hatch will be on my list of next cars.
Doubt the Prius will get the treatment... Though there is a Prius GT300 race car that uses the hybrid drivetrain paired with a V8 motor :p I don't remember if that car is retired yet...

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's the Corolla it'll probably need a few extra ponies to compensate for it being heavier than the Prius.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If it's the Corolla it'll probably need a few extra ponies to compensate for it being heavier than the Prius.
The Corolla hatchback has a curb weight of 3060 lbs while the Prius is 3010-3220 lbs according to Google. It'll need some extra ponies since it weighs more than the Yaris GR which is 2822 lbs.

Though it might be argued that the 1.5L 3 cylinder engine weighs less than the 2.0L 4 cylinder that's in the outgoing Corolla, that might help out the weight issue. Though most wouldn't like the option, they could also switch to a front wheel drive powertrain (using the same motor) to get upwards of a 10% gain of power at the wheels.

But even then, Toyota hasn't even confirmed the motor being used. For all we know they could be sprucing up the 2.0L in the Corolla for forced induction and AWD. Think in the 300 HP range. Realistically, Toyota could then use this motor combination in many vehicles as they currently don't have an ICE AWD setup that offers that 300-ish HP. Like an AWD Camry with 300 HP. Granted they already have the RAV4 Prime powertrain that exists too that sort of filled this niche in hybrid form.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Yaris GR is a homologation special for the World Rally Cahampionship, Toyota have released it to comply with rules as set down by the FIA. However things have changed at Toyota for some reason and they are keeping their current WRC Yaris but decided to make 25000 GR's. There are 2 variants see link below

https://www.toyota.co.uk/world-of-t...mhelcHyMhyXcDkCHCZhoCb6wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm looking at ordering the circuit pack.

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
If I hadn't bought my Civic and only had it for a short time, I would have loved the Yaris. It sold for 40K (AU$) compared to the Type R 52K (AU$). The circuit pack would have knocked the Civic out of the park.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Yep 4 whel drive, LSD's and a kerb weight of 1280kg is a pretty potent weapon. From the videos I have seen when pitched against the Type R the GR kicks it arse, however the cars are different, one is a hot hatch and the other a 4wd WRC homologation special. The Type R will no doubt be more comfortable and practical but for a B road blast here in the UK the Type R wouldn't stand a chance against it.

I was going to buy a new Type R at the beginning of next year when I retire, but having seen this I may now well be placing a deposit this year on the GR, IMHO there has not been a car like it since the Imprezas and Evo's that came before it, they have cult status and following here in the UK, they too were developed from the WRC. Looks like my money could well be destined for Toyota which is a pity as Honda has produced some fine machinery over the years but I feel as though they have lost their way a little and become a little too sensible.

In the mad world that we have at the moment petrol heads here in Europe have been crying out for this type of car for years, well done Toyota for growing a set of balls and delivering a car which will no doubt go down in history like the Impreza and Evo have.

Last edited:

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Here's some more videos comparing the two. Don't think either really beats one or the other in straight specs so much as each has their separate strengths. The Yaris will be better on a rally course and if you're the type that needs AWD for the weather. The Type R is a more focused track car and will be more rewarding to drive going to the store or around a track.

The Yaris is a better bargain if it's 12k cheaper though so there's that. The question is how hard is to get the Circuit pack? Without it there's terrible body roll, if that's going to be a rare package the Yaris GR isn't nearly as tasty a choice- look at the body roll in the other video ☠
Sponsored