Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
I can't say that the body roll was bad when I drove one, it turned in beautifully. It wasn't as comfortable as the Civic, but it certainly didn't wallow, and the handling was tight. The Yaris has already hit Aussie race tracks... it's more than just a WRC homologation, it's a solid package all round. Normally I would agree that the Civic is the better car, and the zero-100 is not a good tool for measuring a Civic... but on the track, Toyota really has it together, the Yaris is just a solid piece of kit. I'd love to see the 2 go round a track together in both wet and dry, to really get some better data.
Sponsored

magshell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST
Country flag
So AP4 rally cars can only have up to 1.6L engine and a minimum of ~2700lb.

I wonder how much a rally Fit would cost without Honda Racing footing the development costs like Toyota did.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't say that the body roll was bad when I drove one, it turned in beautifully. It wasn't as comfortable as the Civic, but it certainly didn't wallow, and the handling was tight. The Yaris has already hit Aussie race tracks... it's more than just a WRC homologation, it's a solid package all round. Normally I would agree that the Civic is the better car, and the zero-100 is not a good tool for measuring a Civic... but on the track, Toyota really has it together, the Yaris is just a solid piece of kit. I'd love to see the 2 go round a track together in both wet and dry, to really get some better data.
You probably drove the Circuit Pack, which is definitely the one to have. It probably should have been the only trim, just like how the R has the same suspension across the lineup and everything else is outside the LE are cosmetic/convenience features. In the one video from Motor posted earlier in the channel you can see that the base model without the LSD and upgraded suspension is all over in a turn whereas the Type R is flat when they run a screencap. The other videos were most of what I could find, the Type R looks to have much better acceleration and handling. There was the one video from Motor where it lost but then the CTR also kept up in the wet in the CarWow vid so not sure what happened there.

Here's a track video on a damp circuit:

Track times end up at:

Civic Type R - 00:47:10
Toyota Yaris GR - 00:47:90
Ford Fiesta ST Edition - 00:48:50
VW Golf GTI - 00:48:80

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
The boss of toyota Akio Toyoda is a real petrol head and racer, he apparently wouldn't allow the GR to go in sale until he had driven it and was completely satisfied with it, not sure if Honda's boss has had the same input?

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely the stock pack. The upgrade didn't release in the first batch to hit our shores.

I really would like both in the driveway, and I say this as someone whose last Toyota was a '72 TA22 Celica that I owned in the 1980s.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Presume you mean comfort pack when you say stock pack? I will have to drive them both to decide which one I would consider buying, some of the reviews I have seen have said that unless you track the car dont bother with the circuit pack I.e. lsd's, forged alloys etc

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No comfort pack. There is the base, which is the performance pack, and then there is the Rallye edition, limited to 250, which comes with all the additional goodies.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I think is still have the Type-R over the Yaris but the GR is the first Toyota I've lusted over for a very long time.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was going new 11G Type R but have decided to just going to keep my 1.5 and run it too death. Had an Aston a few years back which was great and have been looking at some other things including GTR's, 911's etc but wold have to be used or I could get a new GR and save the cash.

No comfort pack. There is the base, which is the performance pack, and then there is the Rallye edition, limited to 250, which comes with all the additional goodies.
Rallee edition not heard of that one, will have to make enquiries in case we are getting the same.

chazzer96

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord, 2021 CTR CW
Country flag
I think as someone said before that the Corolla GR would be in the middle of the Si and Type R. With that being said it also varies on the price and whether they decide to stay with the AWD or make it FWD. As of right now they are estimating $30k but we will also have to see what kind of mark ups it will have. Either way I think I’m actually excited to have a choice between the used 10/new 11gen civic or this new Corolla if it’s similar to the Yaris.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Here's another comparison, also goes in livability etc and brings in an A45.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No tuner here in the U.S. can tune the Yaris (or Corolla for that matter). Even if it did hit the U.S.

OrangeVirusTuning I doubt it. R9K would probably be able to modify their wide open throttle air/fuel ratios and ignition timing but that's about it.

Bobnitro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 type r
Country flag
There are many videos comparing the FK8 Type R to the GR yaris. Both are highly capable, although drag races seem to be the flavour of reporting these days, and the GR Yaris trumps the Civic with 4WD.

In the real world?

GR yaris is a little hooligan, and is more fun at lower speeds. Its so punchy and instantly pulls like hell as you punch through the gears. Handling is excellent, and you can feel the 4WD grip and fire you ot of corners, brakes are mega with instant bite. The Grin factor is Huge.

The FK8 Type R is such a weapons grade hot hatch, that at lower speeds you enjoy the sublime seats, gearbox, engine, handling, brakes, etc etc, safe in the knowledge that when things really ramp up, it's ready for action. The slower stuff is just a walk in the park, you need to be really pushing things on for the “bloody hell this thing is absolute brilliance " grins.

Conclusion : both utterly fantastic cars. Both massively capable. Both put huge grins on your face.

They keyboard warriors can talk stats and facts all day long about how one is" better than the other " but they are both amazing bits of kit, and either is a joy to own.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Civic Type R vs Toyota Yaris GR IMG_05072021_191435_(1080_x_1080_pixel)

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Perfect way of summing this up. Both great cars, and having driven both, I'd like a Yaris too please. They complement each other beautifully.
There are many videos comparing the FK8 Type R to the GR yaris. Both are highly capable, although drag races seem to be the flavour of reporting these days, and the GR Yaris trumps the Civic with 4WD.

In the real world?

GR yaris is a little hooligan, and is more fun at lower speeds. Its so punchy and instantly pulls like hell as you punch through the gears. Handling is excellent, and you can feel the 4WD grip and fire you ot of corners, brakes are mega with instant bite. The Grin factor is Huge.

The FK8 Type R is such a weapons grade hot hatch, that at lower speeds you enjoy the sublime seats, gearbox, engine, handling, brakes, etc etc, safe in the knowledge that when things really ramp up, it's ready for action. The slower stuff is just a walk in the park, you need to be really pushing things on for the “bloody hell this thing is absolute brilliance " grins.

Conclusion : both utterly fantastic cars. Both massively capable. Both put huge grins on your face.

They keyboard warriors can talk stats and facts all day long about how one is" better than the other " but they are both amazing bits of kit, and either is a joy to own.

IMG_05072021_191435_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg