Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Like someone mentioned earlier that the new gen CTR should be coming out soon; so if that is the case - how many of you are looking at waiting it out for the next gen to see what they offer as well the differences in performance and looks will be etc?

I know speaking for myself - I have been halfway serious about trading in the Z - ONLY if i found/find a good deal (meaning MSRP with no markup) but after seeing what dealers are adding onto the price for their ADM and the accessory add-ons as well - I just think it's time to move on and see this as a sign to keep the Z and mod it pretty much - maybe look at an older 'daily' to seriously mod the Z or look at a different option such as a Hyundai VN (if I did this - I would keep the Z for sure). The CTR was something I was willing to trade in my Z for. Since the performance would be basically the same with more potential with the turbo on the CTR and having a backseat....so kinda of the best 'overall value' for a car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like someone mentioned earlier that the new gen CTR should be coming out soon; so if that is the case - how many of you are looking at waiting it out for the next gen to see what they offer as well the differences in performance and looks will be etc?

I know speaking for myself - I have been halfway serious about trading in the Z - ONLY if i found/find a good deal (meaning MSRP with no markup) but after seeing what dealers are adding onto the price for their ADM and the accessory add-ons as well - I just think it's time to move on and see this as a sign to keep the Z and mod it pretty much - maybe look at an older 'daily' to seriously mod the Z or look at a different option such as a Hyundai VN (if I did this - I would keep the Z for sure). The CTR was something I was willing to trade in my Z for. Since the performance would be basically the same with more potential with the turbo on the CTR and having a backseat....so kinda of the best 'overall value' for a car.
I know TWO people thinking about this....

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
As you get closer to the East Coast, the markup starts rising again, and so does the shipping cost. States closer to the West and East Coast states raise their markup due to folks like us, who are running away from our own state's greedy dealers.
This is not true. Several dealers here on the east coast sell at MSRP as long as they have one incoming or already on the lot not accounted for.

Give me the $5K and I'll find you one ? just be patient, this car should cost you no more than MSRP + shipping. Lots of good advice on this thread on how to track one down.

You may feel otherwise coming from an ancient platform like the Z but if you don't value all the new tech and numbness being engineered into many of these modern cars, I honestly feel the FK8 CTR is about as far as I'd want to go for now. Even this feels too modern for me lol have little interest in the new one unless it somehow blows our minds while maintaining its character.

The new civic also looks boring imo, like a wannabe jetta for the people complaining how silly this gen looked. Not a good indicator on how the R is going to turn out. Feel like the rebound effect from the criticism they received on this gens styling is going to go too far.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
You may feel otherwise coming from an ancient platform like the Z but if you don't value all the new tech and numbness being engineered into many of these modern cars, I honestly feel the FK8 CTR is about as far as I'd want to go for now. Even this feels too modern for me lol have little interest in the new one unless it somehow blows our minds while maintaining its character.

The new civic also looks boring imo, like a wannabe jetta for the people complaining how silly this gen looked. Not a good indicator on how the R is going to turn out. Feel like the rebound effect from the criticism they received on this gens styling is going to go too far.
I agree with you about all the new 'nannies' that they are adding to all vehicles. That is the reason why I am fighting with myself about trading in the Z. Simply put - while it might be old, it doesn't have a lot of nannies adding to the weight and driving experience. The current CTR is a nice car and seems like a nice upgrade although not worth the ADM especially if a new CTR is out within the next couple of years. Add in the new Subie STI as well as the new 400z - there will be other options out there for sure.

Deleted member 44810

I tried hard, unsuccessfully, to get a better deal with very low to no markup from out of state dealers, even with some of those that are on the "nice list" thread—well, they weren't so nice after all. May be its the color I'm after (CW). It's an emotionally draining rollercoaster and takes a toll. Some of them play games. They give you false hope and then when you're about to make a down payment, they sneak in last-minute charges.

Since I'm in CA, I was exploring states in increasing distance as I have to balance between the markup and shipping cost. Here's a non-exhaustive sample of my quest:
  • Auto Nation Las Vegas, Nevada. Will not budge below $7K markup, plus my own shipping.
  • Findlay Honda Las Vegas, Nevada. Will not budge below $5K markup, plus my own shipping, plus he wants to charge me about $600 doc fee, which is complete BS because I'm registering the car myself in CA.
  • Showcase Honda, Phoenix, Arizona (supposed to be on the nice list). They will not take my offer of $5K markup plus $350 for shipping. Some dude outbid me and paid them $6K markup.
  • Swickard Honda, Portland, Oregon. They want to charge me destination charge in addition to markup. Total combined markup is $5.5K, and they won't budge below that.
  • Lute Riley Honda, Dallas, Texas. Will not budge below $5K markup plus shipping.
  • Gillman Honda, Houston, Texas. Will not budge below $5K markup plus shipping.
  • Battison Honda, Oklahoma. Will not budge bellow $45K price and wants $1200 for shipping.
  • Etc etc etc....
As you get closer to the East Coast, the markup starts rising again, and so does the shipping cost. States closer to the West and East Coast states raise their markup due to folks like us, who are running away from our own state's greedy dealers.
I'm not sure how much you are willing to purchase but a FYI..Stockton Honda has a CW and initial markup is 9995. Then they went down to 4995. Now 3995.
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Civic Type-R  Over sticker dealer naughty list. 1606076886888

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ADM isn’t just a CTR thing.

Shopping the then fairly new Toyota RAV4 release each one on the local NW FL Z-motors lot had a ‘market adjustment’ addendum of at least $3k over MSRP. Next town discounted.

In a Facebook post someone bought a very unusual new Lotus model and got over $20k discount.

This to me truly defines market demand driven vs. dealer greed driven pricing.

Good luck all.

Next opportunity for me to do this probably won’t be until year 2 or 3 of Acura TLX Type S.
??

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
East coast (and a few dealers in the Midwest like Michigan and Wisconsin) were selling their CTRs at MSRP. I think I contacted a dealership where the dealer himself stated they never charge anything over MSRP on any of their vehicles including Type R. I deleted old emails and that message sadly may have found the trash bin and emptied already after I had sealed the deal on my car.

Places to stay away that charge excessive markup per my experience (WA, OR, TX, NV, FL, CA).

Places to try and land one at MSRP (AZ, WI, MI, MA, NY, CT and where I bought mine- VT).

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look at my message history. I was on the hunt for BB for MSRP for months. I finally found it. You can too. Be willing to hunt for months. I remember talking with Spreen months ago for a 2020 BB. I offered 3k+ but they were begging me to go to 6k+. Apparently they think they can get 10k+ now. I bought mine from Bobby Rahal in PA. That chain sells at MSRP. It's a secret that slowly is becoming not so secret anymore and they sold a yellow for msrp also.
They sold one of the LE's for that? Jeesh. Already seen it sell for $70k. That's fantastic!

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Duval Honda in Jacksonville FL is asking $45,835 + $899 dealer fee for their Boost Blue 2021 CTR.

Out the door on that number you're looking at being just short of $50k for it, what a joke. I knew there was a reason they've had it on their lot for 3 weeks.

I'm not serious about upgrading to a 2021, but I thought, given the length of time its been on their lot and their opportunity to take on a flawless 2019 in return with trade in, would they give me an offer I couldn't refuse? No they couldn't, but I guess I can't really blame them, someone will probably pay mark up

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
For those that might be looking - I found this one at Johnson Honda of Stuart - Boost Blue - while NOT MSRP - the ADM is really not that much when considering what others are adding to the price.

Was told by the salesperson the following via email:
Unfortunately our internet price has not updated to the current market value of the car. Some dealers are selling $5,000 above MSRP because of demand. We are selling it for $40,890 + tax, tag, and doc fees etc..

LINK:
https://johnsonhondaofstuart.com/vi...4/2021-honda-civic-type-r-hatchback?type=cash

I was thinking about asking for the OTD price but the more I think about it the more I think I would rather wait to see what the used market has especially once the supply starts to meet demand. I don't know - if I found a GREAT deal - I would consider it but kinda hard to go back to car payments (the forever struggle of listening to financial advice from Dave Ramsey, Andre Jikh and Graham Stephan vs my WANTS haha)

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
For those that might be looking - I found this one at Johnson Honda of Stuart - Boost Blue - while NOT MSRP - the ADM is really not that much when considering what others are adding to the price.

Unfortunately our internet price has not updated to the current market value of the car. Some dealers are selling $5,000 above MSRP because of demand. We are selling it for $40,890 + tax, tag, and doc fees etc..

LINK:
https://johnsonhondaofstuart.com/vi...4/2021-honda-civic-type-r-hatchback?type=cash

I was thinking about asking for the OTD price but the more I think about it the more I think I would rather wait to see what the used market has especially once the supply starts to meet demand. I don't know - if I found a GREAT deal - I would consider it but kinda hard to go back to car payments (the forever struggle of listening to financial advice from Dave Ramsey, Andre Jikh and Graham Stephan vs my WANTS haha)
Dave Ramsey gives great advice but he didn't sway me from changing my mind about getting a Type R. He really hates credit cards.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Dave Ramsey gives great advice but he didn't sway me from changing my mind about getting a Type R. He really hates credit cards.
Haha....I get the ‘psychology’ of hating credit cards - but overall they just offer too much of a benefit in particular when it comes to fraud and disputing charges. And the cash back is a nice added bonus but yeah, I get it but don’t at the same time when it comes to his CC rant.

As I respond to this post - I am currently watching TV and checking out CTRs online haha - I guess it’s inevitable once I make my mind up on wanting something but its still a struggle haha.

timtzotz

First Name
timtzotz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R (SGP); 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Country flag
For those that might be looking - I found this one at Johnson Honda of Stuart <snip>...

Blah blah blah. As I noted elsewhere, I purchased my lightly used 2020 from this dealership. They weren't too bad to deal with. Mine had 5K miles on it, they originally asked about $39 IIRC. I politely sent an email, told them I needed to be under MSRP not over for a used one. They dropped the price minimally. I waited, just as many of the forum have suggested. Contacted them a couple of times over the next couple of weeks. Finally agreed when offer was $37 and the first owner added window tint, ceramic coat.

I liked the dealership, thought they were fair in the end. I would deal with them again. If no one pays the upcharge in a week or two, I think a better chance of an offer around MSRP may be possible.

In fairness, i do use 2 separate emails, phone numbers when getting quotes etc (different names too). When my alter ego got a a better offer than the real me I knew "We're in business" (SGT Horvath).

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All this hunting for msrp is crazy.
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Civic Type-R  Over sticker dealer naughty list. 1606497212609
Sponsored