Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Can we bay area netizens get away with summer tires year round?
I switched the stock tires on my 2011 Civic Si to Michelin Pilot SS ultra-high performance (summer) tires 3 years ago and they’ve been awesome. They’re not low-profile like the CTR’s tires but they’ve been super sticky in dry & wet weather. They’re actually better in wet weather than the stock tires, but may not be great to go to Tahoe in the winter.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Sharing my experience with Spreen Honda of Corona (Southern CA). I’m masking names and showing only first letter, but those higher ups at the dealership and at Honda corporate who can fix things should know whom am I’m talking about.

For context, I fell in love with the handling and agility of the Civic SI, and I want to upgrade to its ultimate sibling, the Type R. However, I’m well aware that the 11th gen Type R will most likely be released in the fall of next year (2021) as MY2022 (based on Motor Trend and other articles), and the current 10th gen will take a significant depreciation hit. Therefore, I do not want to pay big markup.

I called the dealership today and H* (salesman) answered. I explained to him that I already have an out-of-state offer for a Type R for $43K delivered to my door. But I’m willing to pay an extra $1000 to pick it up from a local dealer. I told him that this is my max budget. He talked to his sales manager (P*) and asked me to come to the dealership. I told him it’s about an hour drive for me and I don’t want to waste my time and his time if they’re not Ok with my offer, which is $44K plus tax and license (that’s $6K markup!). He asked me to come because my offer is “within the range”. When I arrived, he asked me for a copy of my current out-of-state offer. I gave him a redacted copy that masks the VIN and the dealership name. He went and talked with P* for a while and came back and said P* wants to know the name of the out-of-state dealership. I said Ok, I’ll give P* the un-redacted version of the quote if he gives me his word that he’ll take my offer. Otherwise, why should I?

Then H* told me they want to know the name of the dealer because Honda mandates that all dealers mark up their cars by $10K (implying that the out-of-state dealership violated Honda’s rules by giving me less than $10K markup). I told him this is BS! Honda would never ask dealers to mark up above MSRP; that dealers are independent contractors and it’s up to them to set their prices. He went and talked further with P* and came back and said I should take the out-of-state offer, and that their price is the same as my current leased Honda (another model), which is $50K. Folks, that’s $12K markup on a soon to be outgoing model that’s been out there since 2017. I told him why didn’t you tell me this over the phone? This is not even in the range. I asked to talk to P*, who offered no apology and refused to give me his last name. I told H* and P* that I’m recovering from a back injury (they can see my back brace) and they misled me and falsely promised to drive all the way for nothing. It’s a shameless and dirty bait-and-switch tactic with ZERO respect for the time and wellbeing of their customers. Check Google reviews, they already have negative reviews because of their bait-and-switch tactics.

I called Honda corporate customer support (800-999-1009) and asked them if it’s true what the Spreen Honda Corona is claiming, that Honda is asking dealers to mark up the Type R by $10K, and the rep categorically denied it. I gave her the dealership info and I told her they are price gouging customers and blaming Honda for it.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
? just wow with this idiotic dealership. This infuriate all my senses and I’m not even buying. All I can tell you is you are always at there mercy unless you have a written agreement. Do not believe a word they say no matter what. If you play there game try to be smarter. Everything in writing my friend. Dealerships already have a bad reputation and all they worry about is green green green and could care less what we say.

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag
Sharing my experience with Spreen Honda of Corona (Southern CA). I’m masking names and showing only first letter, but those higher ups at the dealership and at Honda corporate who can fix things should know whom am I’m talking about.

For context, I fell in love with the handling and agility of the Civic SI, and I want to upgrade to its ultimate sibling, the Type R. However, I’m well aware that the 11th gen Type R will most likely be released in the fall of next year (2021) as MY2022 (based on Motor Trend and other articles), and the current 10th gen will take a significant depreciation hit. Therefore, I do not want to pay big markup.

I called the dealership today and H* (salesman) answered. I explained to him that I already have an out-of-state offer for a Type R for $43K delivered to my door. But I’m willing to pay an extra $1000 to pick it up from a local dealer. I told him that this is my max budget. He talked to his sales manager (P*) and asked me to come to the dealership. I told him it’s about an hour drive for me and I don’t want to waste my time and his time if they’re not Ok with my offer, which is $44K plus tax and license (that’s $6K markup!). He asked me to come because my offer is “within the range”. When I arrived, he asked me for a copy of my current out-of-state offer. I gave him a redacted copy that masks the VIN and the dealership name. He went and talked with P* for a while and came back and said P* wants to know the name of the out-of-state dealership. I said Ok, I’ll give P* the un-redacted version of the quote if he gives me his word that he’ll take my offer. Otherwise, why should I?

Then H* told me they want to know the name of the dealer because Honda mandates that all dealers mark up their cars by $10K (implying that the out-of-state dealership violated Honda’s rules by giving me less than $10K markup). I told him this is BS! Honda would never ask dealers to mark up above MSRP; that dealers are independent contractors and it’s up to them to set their prices. He went and talked further with P* and came back and said I should take the out-of-state offer, and that their price is the same as my current leased Honda (another model), which is $50K. Folks, that’s $12K markup on a soon to be outgoing model that’s been out there since 2017. I told him why didn’t you tell me this over the phone? This is not even in the range. I asked to talk to P*, who offered no apology and refused to give me his last name. I told H* and P* that I’m recovering from a back injury (they can see my back brace) and they misled me and falsely promised to drive all the way for nothing. It’s a shameless and dirty bait-and-switch tactic with ZERO respect for the time and wellbeing of their customers. Check Google reviews, they already have negative reviews because of their bait-and-switch tactics.

I called Honda corporate customer support (800-999-1009) and asked them if it’s true what the Spreen Honda Corona is claiming, that Honda is asking dealers to mark up the Type R by $10K, and the rep categorically denied it. I gave her the dealership info and I told her they are price gouging customers and blaming Honda for it.
Look at my message history. I was on the hunt for BB for MSRP for months. I finally found it. You can too. Be willing to hunt for months. I remember talking with Spreen months ago for a 2020 BB. I offered 3k+ but they were begging me to go to 6k+. Apparently they think they can get 10k+ now. I bought mine from Bobby Rahal in PA. That chain sells at MSRP. It's a secret that slowly is becoming not so secret anymore and they sold a yellow for msrp also.

MeetThePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2005 S2000, 1985 Corolla GTS
Country flag
California is definitely one of the worst places to buy a car new or used. I remember asking around many SoCal dealers last year including Spreen. Very similar and unpleasant experience as stated here. Unfortunately, they were not the exception. With so many CTRs in California, I wonder if Californians just eat the ADM and deal with the poor customer service. I doubt the majority of them are buying out-of-state and shipping like savvy members here.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag

I think you wasted your valuable time entertaining those fools. Those people have been marking up their vehicles since Feb and they won't stop. There's no way they're going to change their mind and have a change of heart when they know they're in it for the markup.

I'm glad you contacted corporate to report this dealership and the lies they throw at potential buyers and giving Honda a bad rap. Honda should denounce then and have there licenses revoked.

Who's to say that they're not already marking up their other Honda models in stock and not just their Type Rs.

Obviously the management of the dealership are a bunch of idiots. If they had any right sense in their mind they would know that a successful business is based on return customers and word of mouth. Having a little markup is okay but going beyond that fine line is just nothing but greed.

Last edited:

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag

Wait, you told a salesman over the phone that you were willing to pay $6k over and they told you to come on down and make a deal. That’s a shocker. They don’t need to see your out of state offer. You don’t need to drive an hour to the dealership to negotiate. If you are willing to pay $6k over (or what ever your offer is), make the offer over the phone and offer to provide a deposit via cc upon acceptance of the offer. Also require a buyers contract upon providing the deposit. If they don’t want to negotiate over the phone (or via text, email, etc) or give you the run around, move on.

Or... There are many great dealerships and just as many unscrupulous ones. Find a great out of state dealership who sells at MSRP (many listed in the good dealership thread), ship the car to CA and save $5k.

Deleted member 44810

I've reached out to this dealership as well. I told them many times that I will not come in without settling on a price. They kept giving me some "we can't do that" BS.

TBH if you're willing to spend up to 6k mark up you can DEFINITELY find a CTR for that in CA.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag

Save your time and trouble- buy out of state at or close to MSRP and have the car delivered to you. Go back to my earlier postings on how I shared my experiences going this route.

Less hassle on the negotiating end- you'll have to do your part in hiring a shipping company and doing the DMV legwork as well as other requirements when the vehicle arrives to CA. All of that effort you put into that work will be far better than giving your money away for nothing in return. @jincheol experience paid off in dividends and he was patient enough to wait for the right deal and right situation and it worked out for him in the end.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
I tried hard, unsuccessfully, to get a better deal with very low to no markup from out of state dealers, even with some of those that are on the "nice list" thread—well, they weren't so nice after all. May be its the color I'm after (CW). It's an emotionally draining rollercoaster and takes a toll. Some of them play games. They give you false hope and then when you're about to make a down payment, they sneak in last-minute charges.

Since I'm in CA, I was exploring states in increasing distance as I have to balance between the markup and shipping cost. Here's a non-exhaustive sample of my quest:
  • Auto Nation Las Vegas, Nevada. Will not budge below $7K markup, plus my own shipping.
  • Findlay Honda Las Vegas, Nevada. Will not budge below $5K markup, plus my own shipping, plus he wants to charge me about $600 doc fee, which is complete BS because I'm registering the car myself in CA.
  • Showcase Honda, Phoenix, Arizona (supposed to be on the nice list). They will not take my offer of $5K markup plus $350 for shipping. Some dude outbid me and paid them $6K markup.
  • Swickard Honda, Portland, Oregon. They want to charge me destination charge in addition to markup. Total combined markup is $5.5K, and they won't budge below that.
  • Lute Riley Honda, Dallas, Texas. Will not budge below $5K markup plus shipping.
  • Gillman Honda, Houston, Texas. Will not budge below $5K markup plus shipping.
  • Battison Honda, Oklahoma. Will not budge bellow $45K price and wants $1200 for shipping.
  • Etc etc etc....
As you get closer to the East Coast, the markup starts rising again, and so does the shipping cost. States closer to the West and East Coast states raise their markup due to folks like us, who are running away from our own state's greedy dealers.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I tried hard, unsuccessfully, to get a better deal with very low to no markup from out of state dealers, even with some of those that are on the "nice list" thread—well, they weren't so nice after all. May be its the color I'm after (CW). It's an emotionally draining rollercoaster and takes a toll. Some of them play games. They give you false hope and then when you're about to make a down payment, they sneak in last-minute charges.

Since I'm in CA, I was exploring states in increasing distance as I have to balance between the markup and shipping cost. Here's a non-exhaustive sample of my quest:
  • Auto Nation Las Vegas, Nevada. Will not budge below $7K markup, plus my own shipping.
  • Findlay Honda Las Vegas, Nevada. Will not budge below $5K markup, plus my own shipping, plus he wants to charge me about $600 doc fee, which is complete BS because I'm registering the car myself in CA.
  • Showcase Honda, Phoenix, Arizona (supposed to be on the nice list). They will not take my offer of $5K markup plus $350 for shipping. Some dude outbid me and paid them $6K markup.
  • Swickard Honda, Portland, Oregon. They want to charge me destination charge in addition to markup. Total combined markup is $5.5K, and they won't budge below that.
  • Lute Riley Honda, Dallas, Texas. Will not budge below $5K markup plus shipping.
  • Gillman Honda, Houston, Texas. Will not budge below $5K markup plus shipping.
  • Battison Honda, Oklahoma. Will not budge bellow $45K price and wants $1200 for shipping.
  • Etc etc etc....
As you get closer to the East Coast, the markup starts rising again, and so does the shipping cost. States closer to the West and East Coast states raise their markup due to folks like us, who are running away from our own state's greedy dealers.
Shipping is your responsibility. Destination and handling is part of the cost of the car. It’s typically included when referencing MSRP. It would be unusual for a dealer to charge a destination fee above whats already included by Honda.

Dealers charge doc fees to cover their admin costs (really just adds to their profit but they all do it).

Keep looking, you’ll find your deal. And offers buy cars.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Wait till the end of the month NOV and end of DEC into next year

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I live in AZ,

Bell Honda is not even giving prices for their 2021 Sonic Grey, it’s who can offer the most

Showcase Honda is 7K over MSRP and tried to tell me how rare the Type R is and that not one dealership will ever sell for MSRP.....
Sponsored