Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Wait a bit longer and you'll probably find them below MSRP. Not sure how real this is but this 2020 is selling for 35.2k.
How much longer should someone wait when a car has been out for over 3 years and they still sell for markup?

Also, the sale price online is bogus almost 100% of the time. The only way to know if that sale price is legit is to see something through email, in writing. I had dozens of dealers advertise below MSRP when I bought my CTR. When I spoke to them regarding a quote, they were right, the vehicle sale price was below MSRP, you just had to buy $5-10k worth of dealer installed options

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
How much longer should someone wait when a car has been out for over 3 years and they still sell for markup?

Also, the sale price online is bogus almost 100% of the time. The only way to know if that sale price is legit is to see something through email, in writing. I had dozens of dealers advertise below MSRP when I bought my CTR. When I spoke to them regarding a quote, they were right, the vehicle sale price was below MSRP, you just had to buy $5-10k worth of dealer installed options
Dealers will continue MSRP + pricing as long as customers continuing buying at that pricing.

The Civic Type R is not a rare car by any means... ~40,000 made at this point. All it is an expensive variation of a Honda Civic.

Myself, family, friends have never bought a brand new car above invoice (we're talking dozens of cars across numerous manufacturers). Going outside of the state or region has given us this purchasing ability.

You're buying a brand new car... they 'should' all be the same with respect to fit/finish/quality. Go outside of your local market and get one the cheapest available, in the color you want. Have it shipped to your home

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
The Civic Type R is not a rare car by any means... ~40,000 made at this point. All it is an expensive variation of a Honda Civic.
40,000 units for the global market in 3 years is limited from my perspective, but agree not "rare" to the likes of vehicles like the TLX PMC edition

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
40,000 units for the global market in 3 years is limited from my perspective, but agree not "rare" to the likes of vehicles like the TLX PMC edition
If there's prior model years left over, sitting along side cars of the next production year... the cars are not limited. They're plentiful, IMO

The market determines the demand... if the cars were truly in demand... there wouldn't be 80 news 2019's remaining on Autotrader, currently. There's 190 new listing of 2020's in comparison

Fair example of market demand... in 2015 GM made only 1292 2015 Camaro Z/28's. Only 1801 in total for the 2014-2015 production run. They still had new 2015's for sale well into the 2016 calendar year even with car being discounted at 20% or more. $75-$76k window sticker and they still had trouble selling them for $55k. The demand wasn't there

Last edited:

Mach ENT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger Scat Pack 392 Hemi
Country flag
I agree to disagree. 270 new units nationwide, 2019 and 2020, isn't plentiful from my perspective
All depends on demand. If there are so many 2019s still available that suggests that supply is more than demand and that prices over MSRP are ridiculous.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Dealers will continue MSRP + pricing as long as customers continuing buying at that pricing.

Myself, family, friends have never bought a brand new car above invoice (we're talking dozens of cars across numerous manufacturers). Going outside of the state or region has given us this purchasing ability.

You're buying a brand new car... they 'should' all be the same with respect to fit/finish/quality. Go outside of your local market and get one the cheapest available, in the color you want. Have it shipped to your home
Agree that 40k WW certainly is not rare. But Honda has clearly made a great product and has managed the supply to the point that many dealers have been able to sell at msrp or above for the past three years.

Shopping nation wide certainly helps (my CTR came from FL) but that doesn't always work. Check out the Porsche GT car market for the past 5 years...

If there's prior model years left over, sitting along side cars of the next production year... the cars are not limited. They're plentiful, IMO

The market determines the demand... if the cars were truly in demand... there wouldn't be 80 news 2019's remaining on Autotrader, currently. There's 190 new listing of 2020's in comparison

Fair example of market demand... in 2015 GM made only 1292 2015 Camaro Z/28's. Only 1801 in total for the 2014-2015 production run. They still had new 2015's for sale well into the 2016 calendar year even with car being discounted at 20% or more. $75-$76k window sticker and they still had trouble selling them for $55k. The demand wasn't there
80 leftover previous model year when the new model year is just arriving is a nit, tiny. That's got to be certainly > 2% of the annual US sales for the CTR.

Your point re the Z/28 seems to conflict with your CTR point. the 2020 CTR just came out but there are >100 new 2019s and in the US CTR sells at, what, 5k units per year? Demand for the CTR has been solid for three years plus. No need to fire sale (like the Z/28), even apparently during a pandemic (although this could certainly change).

Last edited:

drledford93

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 C43 AMG, Either 2018 M2 or 2019 CTR...hmm
Country flag
Pensacola Honda, Billion Honda (Iowa City, IA), Superior Honda (Cincy) all are over MSRP for 2019s! Virtually NO ONE I've spoken with today has been willing to go below MSRP. WTF?

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
@drledford93 mongenast Honda in stl area ..msrp price or with whatever accessories added. They have any extra BB coming soon, last i heard..no deposit on it yet.

dokidoki78

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Wesley Chapel Honda Fl asking ADM $3495 + other deal installed accessories + dealer fees for a Championship White 2020 CTR.

Winter Haven Honda Fl asking ADM $4050 for a Boost Blue 2020 CTR.

Holler Honda Fl asking ADM $2500 for a Boost Blue 2020 CTR.

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
Pensacola Honda, Billion Honda (Iowa City, IA), Superior Honda (Cincy) all are over MSRP for 2019s! Virtually NO ONE I've spoken with today has been willing to go below MSRP. WTF?
Crazy thing about Pensacola Honda as well , they just got three 20 CTRs .... maybe because Pensacola is home of a Naval Air Station where all the fighter pilots go to train .... think Top Gun , a lot of young guys buying fast cars there . My wife and I have a best friend who is based there , and let’s just say , you could put on a nice cars and coffee with just what’s on base .

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
My dealer I just bought my car from.....
(AutoNation Honda Mobile ) just got a boost blue . I went by yesterday morning to check it out .

It was like 7:30 in the morning, door was locked , but a nice Saleslady let me in as it was already on the show room floor , I went immediately to the sticker $ 4000 ADM . She offered to work me some numbers , but I told her I just bought a car there and my wife would kill me . I have the feeling , based on the deal I got , if I said “ I’ll pay sticker , and not a penny more “ I think they would take it .

Broin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW Type R, '19 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I contacted every Honda dealer within 45 miles of Seattle. About 10 dealerships. Not a single one would budge from their $4-5k adm. Lynnwood Honda got two CW and one BB. They said they were already pre-sold and they’re charging 10% ADM, $3795

Melvinspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2015 Ford Flex
Country flag
Try Performance Honda. I don't know if they'll go below MSRP; but I bought my 2019 a year ago at MSRP.

https://www.performancekingshonda.com
Sponsored