Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
i
Got mine for MSRP :) Glad I did.
Cool
why pay over msrp so dumb, id rather putting that money towards a bmw or something lol
the CTR is not a limited edition porche . Honda will turn out as many as they can
even trump says honda better get off their ass to build more cars in the USA lol

slimboogie

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Odyssey, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
First of all Happy Veteran's Day! What better way to spend the day off then popping into my local dealerships for a looksy since 2018 models are starting to hit the lots.

TLDR: For those that are still looking in the VA/MD/DC area, ADM is still alive and real.

The search continues...

First stop this morning was Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge. This is where I got my Odyssey a couple of years ago - let's try the repeat customer angle first. White was just sold yesterday and it's still on the lot (better get it home before it drops to 25F tonight!) They have a blue inbound with VIN and are asking $42K OTD. I'm assuming the white probably sold for that same amount. The one positive is that they don't do a mark up. No... just $5K worth of accessories (including mudflaps for $249). Salesperson told me that the accessories were ordered with the car and that's why it's priced the way it is. I replied "I paid $5K less than MSRP for my Odyssey and it came with zero accessories." No response. I said thanks but no thanks, gathered my small children and off to our next adventure. Next stop was Fairfax Honda. They have a blue on the lot (also just sold a white one). I asked them if can they beat $42K, they told me good luck with my search. I'm guessing whoever picked up the white one probably paid more than $42K - congrats to you my friend, enjoy. Alright, we got one more dealership close to here, and they have a white in stock - let's check it out! On to Bill Page Honda in Falls Church. Lo and behold, front and center in the showroom we have a 2018 Championship White Civic Type R. So far, I'm impressed. No front license plate holder installed - check. No stupid pinstripes - check (who actually wants pinstripes?). Did a quick walk around and noticed no other accessories - check. Last stop - sticker. What's this I see: $15K ADM? Seriously?!? You had to see it to believe it but you guys probably believe me. At least it wasn't $25K over MSRP like Sheehy Honda from a couple of months ago. Left my phone in the van with my kids so no proof but it was there, clear as day. I thought about running back to get it to take a picture but the fact that they were asking for that much over, I didn't want to come back in.

Bottom line: If you want a Type R in this area, you are going pay a wee bit more than MSRP (depending on who you go to). I honestly do not see ADM going down any time soon as long as folks are dropping boo koo bucks. I can't and won't pay more than $38.5K for the Type R (if any dealers are reading). That new Accord does look nice. Praying to the Honda gods for no ADM on the Accord 2.0T Sport with manual...

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
First of all Happy Veteran's Day! What better way to spend the day off then popping into my local dealerships for a looksy since 2018 models are starting to hit the lots.

TLDR: For those that are still looking in the VA/MD/DC area, ADM is still alive and real.

The search continues...

First stop this morning was Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge. This is where I got my Odyssey a couple of years ago - let's try the repeat customer angle first. White was just sold yesterday and it's still on the lot (better get it home before it drops to 25F tonight!) They have a blue inbound with VIN and are asking $42K OTD. I'm assuming the white probably sold for that same amount. The one positive is that they don't do a mark up. No... just $5K worth of accessories (including mudflaps for $249). Salesperson told me that the accessories were ordered with the car and that's why it's priced the way it is. I replied "I paid $5K less than MSRP for my Odyssey and it came with zero accessories." No response. I said thanks but no thanks, gathered my small children and off to our next adventure. Next stop was Fairfax Honda. They have a blue on the lot (also just sold a white one). I asked them if can they beat $42K, they told me good luck with my search. I'm guessing whoever picked up the white one probably paid more than $42K - congrats to you my friend, enjoy. Alright, we got one more dealership close to here, and they have a white in stock - let's check it out! On to Bill Page Honda in Falls Church. Lo and behold, front and center in the showroom we have a 2018 Championship White Civic Type R. So far, I'm impressed. No front license plate holder installed - check. No stupid pinstripes - check (who actually wants pinstripes?). Did a quick walk around and noticed no other accessories - check. Last stop - sticker. What's this I see: $15K ADM? Seriously?!? You had to see it to believe it but you guys probably believe me. At least it wasn't $25K over MSRP like Sheehy Honda from a couple of months ago. Left my phone in the van with my kids so no proof but it was there, clear as day. I thought about running back to get it to take a picture but the fact that they were asking for that much over, I didn't want to come back in.

Bottom line: If you want a Type R in this area, you are going pay a wee bit more than MSRP (depending on who you go to). I honestly do not see ADM going down any time soon as long as folks are dropping boo koo bucks. I can't and won't pay more than $38.5K for the Type R (if any dealers are reading). That new Accord does look nice. Praying to the Honda gods for no ADM on the Accord 2.0T Sport with manual...
If you dont mind traveling theres a white one at Terry Lee Honda in Avon, Indiana for $38,300 with misc accessories ask for Jerry

Last edited:

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
At MSRP the dealer is making approx $2,700 on the vehicle and that includes hold-back since the car typically doesn't stay on the dealer lot more than a few days. So that's 8% markup on a car that sells itself, the dealer does practically nothing to sell the car. Most buyers would be happy to pay that and not squawk about it on the forums, as many of us do. A dealer would need to sell about 5 of anything else to make $2,700, but nope that's still not enough, they put on ADM and overpriced accessories. I will purchase a Type R, just not anytime soon.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
At MSRP the dealer is making approx $2,700 on the vehicle and that includes hold-back since the car typically doesn't stay on the dealer lot more than a few days. So that's 8% markup on a car that sells itself, the dealer does practically nothing to sell the car. Most buyers would be happy to pay that and not squawk about it on the forums, as many of us do. A dealer would need to sell about 5 of anything else to make $2,700, but nope that's still not enough, they put on ADM and overpriced accessories. I will purchase a Type R, just not anytime soon.
Yes, it would still be very profitable for them at 1500 under MSRP.

SpooRk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR LE
Country flag
Yes, it would still be very profitable for them at 1500 under MSRP.
But honestly, would you want to make $1,500 or $6,500 when you know there are people out there willing to pay? People are still paying that at this point and I kinda don't blame the dealers. ADM will stay until the cars start piling up as supply catches up and demand at the inflated price point decreases. Even when the people willing to pay $5,000 over run out, you'll have guys who say they'd never pay over MSRP negotiate a couple thousand over cause think it might be their only chance. In order for us to get MSRP, we really have to just sit. Plenty more cars to come.

Or people will just keep coming out of the woodwork who are willing to drop 5-10k over MSRP. We'll all be left fighting over the few being sold at MSRP and the rest will never get one! Lol...

slimboogie

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Odyssey, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Agree 100%. If I was the dealer and I knew people were going to pay that, why wouldn't I charge that much. I think your last statement sums it up.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
But honestly, would you want to make $1,500 or $6,500 when you know there are people out there willing to pay? People are still paying that at this point and I kinda don't blame the dealers. ADM will stay until the cars start piling up as supply catches up and demand at the inflated price point decreases. Even when the people willing to pay $5,000 over run out, you'll have guys who say they'd never pay over MSRP negotiate a couple thousand over cause think it might be their only chance. In order for us to get MSRP, we really have to just sit. Plenty more cars to come.

Or people will just keep coming out of the woodwork who are willing to drop 5-10k over MSRP. We'll all be left fighting over the few being sold at MSRP and the rest will never get one! Lol...
Just informing other potential buyers what the dealers are making when they charge ADM. Don't fall for the, "we gotta keep the doors open" BS that the salesman tells you.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Even if dealers would sell a Type R for $30,000, Honda still can’t/won’t produce any more than they already are. Rest assured that EVERY Type R will eventually sell to someone as does every vehicle made. It’s funny watching people get ANGRY at dealers for refusing to take their money. It’s their vehicle and their choice. All you can do is walk away. If you don’t buy it, someone else will - sooner or later. :)

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
Even if dealers would sell a Type R for $30,000, Honda still can’t/won’t produce any more than they already are. Rest assured that EVERY Type R will eventually sell to someone as does every vehicle made. It’s funny watching people get ANGRY at dealers for refusing to take their money. It’s their vehicle and their choice. All you can do is walk away. If you don’t buy it, someone else will - sooner or later. :)
That’s when you write a nasty review on google reviews for every car dealer who performs these type of business practices
Eventually this will cost them thousands when consumers inform them they are selling up priced accessories , dealer and handling fees . As an example I know one dealer who charged 32k for a civic si.

Crooked
Sponsored