Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

Robbolee80

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GLE 350, 2020 civic SI
Country flag
Northeast area:

Planet Honda and Metro Honda - 10K mark up,.. cars been sitting there for weeks.
Honda Bridgewater - refuses to tell me mark up over the phone. The lady was extremely rude, it was quite hilarious.
Empire Honda Manhasset - 15k Mark up LOL

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
Northeast area:

Planet Honda and Metro Honda - 10K mark up,.. cars been sitting there for weeks.
Honda Bridgewater - refuses to tell me mark up over the phone. The lady was extremely rude, it was quite hilarious.
Empire Honda Manhasset - 15k Mark up LOL
Honda of Bridgewater is 15k over I was in the area and stopped in.

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
everyone keeps saying someone will pay it and yet all these dealers still have cars. I cant deny some are paying way over but I personally think because we all like the car we tend to create "super super demand" giving the dealer the power. I have yet to hear anyone say they cant find the car they want. it seems almost every dealer has one or two. during my search I found more than 100 CW CTR and I looked at most of the dealers I spoke to. THEY STILL HAVE THE CAR FOR SALE!!!! I really enjoy my car I have zero complaints but if I were shopping for it today I would contact each dealer again offer MSRP just move to the next dealer. I think paying over msrp is more justified when I cant find the car. just my 2 cents

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
everyone keeps saying someone will pay it and yet all these dealers still have cars. I cant deny some are paying way over but I personally think because we all like the car we tend to create "super super demand" giving the dealer the power. I have yet to hear anyone say they cant find the car they want. it seems almost every dealer has one or two. during my search I found more than 100 CW CTR and I looked at most of the dealers I spoke to. THEY STILL HAVE THE CAR FOR SALE!!!! I really enjoy my car I have zero complaints but if I were shopping for it today I would contact each dealer again offer MSRP just move to the next dealer. I think paying over msrp is more justified when I cant find the car. just my 2 cents
agreed but.....since (correct me if I am wrong) there will be a gap year without the new CTR - these dealers can hold onto those cars through 2022. And since the car market is crazy right now ingeneral bc of supply/demand (chip shortage is going to stay for awhile longer) - normal cars are having ADM added to it. My niece recently got a new car - a Mazda CX-3 and they added on $2500 worth of ADM bc of the limited amount of cars available. Regardless - it is what it is - you just either have to call a lot of dealers hoping one will give you a fair buy or.....pay a little more over (since most are getting more for their used cars - one COULD rationalize that it is a wash).

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yep, this is market price discovery at work. If every CTR were sold at MSRP, they probably would have been long gone at this point. The good thing about supply/demand pricing is that shortages are mitigated and more people have a shot to get one (even though paying more sucks I agree). If they keep lingering on dealer lots, they will be forced to lower the prices.

Robbolee80

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GLE 350, 2020 civic SI
Country flag
Agreed 100%. There are pages and pages of new/used cars on Autotrader. The inventory is clearly there, it is simply the spread is too wide between the bid and ask. it is hard to argue it is a shortage issue when there are all these CTR listed for sale. It is hard to imagine paying over 50K or 55K for civic (excluding LE).. I would think , or I would hope we are at the top of the price range. I will call back some of these dealers in a few weeks or months , i have a feeling a lot of the inventory will still be sitting there.

CTR is a great car for the performance you get for the value. Go 50K+ range used or new. you are pretty much in a different class of vehicles.

Wazman11

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Lx
Country flag
The most absurd part of the whole thing is the dealers trying to sell 2017 CTR's with some as high as 70k miles for still 2K under MSRP of a BRAND NEW one.. I just don't get where these peoples heads are at. I recently test drove a 2020 with 700 miles on it and sold 1 day later for 48K. How is this even allowed ?‍♂

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
agreed but.....since (correct me if I am wrong) there will be a gap year without the new CTR - these dealers can hold onto those cars through 2022. And since the car market is crazy right now ingeneral bc of supply/demand (chip shortage is going to stay for awhile longer) - normal cars are having ADM added to it. My niece recently got a new car - a Mazda CX-3 and they added on $2500 worth of ADM bc of the limited amount of cars available. Regardless - it is what it is - you just either have to call a lot of dealers hoping one will give you a fair buy or.....pay a little more over (since most are getting more for their used cars - one COULD rationalize that it is a wash).
I agree but I just bought a 2021 Honda hrv for my daughter. I got 800 off and an additional 1 k rebate. The local dealer told me chip shortage ,inventory blah blah blah. The very next dealer I called said we’ll take 800 off if you take it by the end of the month. So if I was selling cars I would create a demand as well. It just puts more money in my pocket. But as the consumer I personally believe the demand is not what they say it is. And it’s mainly us bidding against ourselves creating a market. Let’s be honest this far is not appealing to the “masses” the 20 something year olds that would die for them just can’t afford them. So I see mainly guys like myself (48) zipping around in them like toys. Lol. By the way. It’s the best (non high end ) car I’ve owned. It’s a blast to drive.

AWS8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX CVT, 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Airport Marina Honda in LA has a CTR LE for the low low price of $80,000.

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mahwah Honda in New Jersey just calle eme and said they have a black one just came in. Wouldn’t confirm price over the phone.

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
I have been looking around and the lowest ADM I can find in the midwest is $10K -- I am ready to buy, but zero chance I pay over sticker, it is a great car, but becomes much less great at $50K (or $70K for LE's).

What is the point of an affordable enthusiast car if you can't buy it for an affordable price?
I live in jersey and I've noticed the least desirable colors go for close to MSRP, such as anything beside boost blue, white and red. Grey and black are almost always around 41k

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
Mathews Honda in Marion, OH. trying to get 5k over MSRP for their boost blue '21 R. Its been there for a few weeks now...salesman told me 2 weeks ago they expected it to sell immediately, LOL on that. I told him maybe so, there are a lot of dumb suckers flush with cash these days...his friendliness level dropped like a rock after I said that to him.
Honestly I paid 47k for a boost blue. The color is extremely rare less than 100, thats also only if you care about that sort of thing like holding value. Used boost blues are now selling for 50k around me and all dealers are charging 60k plus. You can say it doesn't matter but color keeps your value depending on rarity, my Si traded in for higher than I purchased it when I got my CTR