Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

civicstyle2003

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW FK8 , 2011 TW FA5
Country flag
Hardin Honda in SoCal reached out to me saying they "have a deal on a few 2021 Civic Type R models." Called them and the salesman said, "Yes, they're MSRP -" my heart stopped for a split second. He continued, "MSRP plus some add-ons."

Price after add-ons? $78,000. Add-ons include every useless item you could possibly think of, including (but not limited to) black roof wrap and "high end carbon fiber everywhere."
They have 4 sitting on their lot.

Clowns!
Sponsored

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My daughter was looking at buying, and said, well my Telluride is worth a lot, and I could buy another blank for the same price or less!
I told her all those "Retail Sales Prices" on their websites DO NOT include the "ADM" they tack on due to short supply. Poor thing thought they were nice guys. Now she knows.
And, in the fine print for most all new cars says "When allocation arrives at dealer"....in other words they're selling something they don't even have.
Crooked crooked business. It's a den of thieves I tells ya!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Supply and demand.

When demand > supply, prices rise. When supply > demand, prices fall.

That's economics 101.

Automakers and dealers are bringing in record profits. Automakers don't have to offer incentives. Dealers can sell at or above MSRP (which, by the way, stands for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). It's just a suggestion.

How about Honda raises the MSRP of a CTR to $100,000 and the dealer offers to sell it for $20,000 below MSRP? If dealers shouldn't exceed MSRP, how about complaining when they sell below MSRP? :)

The purchase price of every automobile is agreed to by the buyer. No one is forced to buy an automobile. If you don't like the price, don't make the purchase - it really is that simple.

Automakers and car dealers aren't charities - they exist to make as much money as they can for their owners. If you want to place blame for MSRP+ pricing, blame the buyers who keep paying it.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Supply and demand.

When demand > supply, prices rise. When supply > demand, prices fall.

That's economics 101.

Automakers and dealers are bringing in record profits. Automakers don't have to offer incentives. Dealers can sell at or above MSRP (which, by the way, stands for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). It's just a suggestion.

How about Honda raises the MSRP of a CTR to $100,000 and the dealer offers to sell it for $20,000 below MSRP? If dealers shouldn't exceed MSRP, how about complaining when they sell below MSRP? :)

The purchase price of every automobile is agreed to by the buyer. No one is forced to buy an automobile. If you don't like the price, don't make the purchase - it really is that simple.

Automakers and car dealers aren't charities - they exist to make as much money as they can for their owners. If you want to place blame for MSRP+ pricing, blame the buyers who keep paying it.
Except nobody is paying even close to what all these dealers are asking for CTRs, evident by how many marked up examples have been collecting dust waiting to be sold this past year........which makes all of this that much more strange and silly.

People don't get upset because of supply and demand, prices aren't only crazy cuz the supply of some of these special cars is low. Prices have been crazy for this car cuz dealers think they have some rare unicorn that will sell for insane money just like a GT3.......except it's a Honda and Honda people aren't paying crazy markups like Porsche people may.

All of this is bad because when these dealers get too greedy and new cars actually start sitting unsold in mass, the message received by corporate is that there is little interest in this model and a future model is not worth the investment. Everyone loses there.

MSRP is not a good price, even for a CTR......but its at least tolerable. No one complains buying these cars even at that ripoff price, its silly markups that only a few village idiots might pay that piss people off and make the dealerships look retarded.

But let a dealer keep trying to sell that $80K R.......I'll bet my house they don't get even close to that insulting price when they actual unload it.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah there is no excuse for gutting someone on the price of an item that is a commodity like an ordinary pedestrian automobile. Special editions, first runs, I can see that. But gouging people over every sale is to me unconscionable. They will sell a car to someone for far more than it’s value and tack on thousands of dollars of unnecessary warranty, paint protection, etc., and look them on the eye and smile.
How do they sleep at night.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
" Got a Civic price drop email from Carvana. The markup on the car i sold in October has been cut in half and is now ~2.3%. "

Got another price drop email from Carvana today. Markup on the car i sold to them is now down to 1.9%.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
just wait for 11th Gen Type R comes out 10th gen will go down but 11th gen Type R price will go through the roof

Simmons572

First Name
Regi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 RR FK8 R-37732, 96 Civic LX
Country flag
Just made a drive up to Honda Bridgewater in NJ yesterday to check out the LE. Apparently when the sales rep states that the car is MSRP + Taxes on the phone, they don't include the $50,000 "market adjustment fee" that is plastered on the window. :rolleyes:

Also stopped by Hagerstown Honda in MD. We asked about their $20k markup and the guy straight-up said "I dunno, we're hoping some dumb sap will buy it". Compared to the bs at Bridgewater, I appreciated the brutal honesty lol

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
When that exact car (VIN) is entered into their "sell your car" page, the offer they make to purchase it is $36,600.
I just did this to the car i sold Carvana in October. They offered 14.8% less than they paid me back then. (But maybe this is a glitch from entering the VIN of a car they already own?)

They've lowered their selling price twice in the past couple of weeks.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just did this to the car i sold Carvana in October. They offered 14.8% less than they paid me back then. (But maybe this is a glitch from entering the VIN of a car they already own?)

They've lowered their selling price twice in the past couple of weeks.
Is there some government loss compensation/payback plan due to inflation ripples that pays them back? I’m not trying to be funny here but it’s entirely possible the myriad of Executive Orders include a plan like this not publicized by media. We’re all paying for it using borrowed tax money if there is. ?‍?
Note that even a meager loss based on shrinking lender funds (after 60 days floating) means money tied up in a depreciating car loss might be better used on another hotter seller that would bring in more interest to them. In other words, lose a little here, take in more on something else later as rates and loan backers tighten their belts and best rate criteria.

Last edited:

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
I just saw on the news that 85% of all new cars Sold in the US last month sold over MSRP

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I just saw on the news that 85% of all new cars Sold in the US last month sold over MSRP
Yep. Automakers and dealers have realized that they can make more money by selling fewer vehicles at higher prices. Expect leaner inventories and fewer discounts for the foreseeable future. I don't know if we'll ever see months' worth of inventory piled up on lots waiting for buyers and discounts of thousands of dollars below MSRP again.

Several Kia and Hyundai models are selling for 16-21% above MSRP including the Rio.

2022 Kia Rio S Sedan IVT
MSRP:
$16,890
Average spent over MSRP: $3,627
Average transaction price: $20,517

https://www.consumerreports.org/buying-a-car/worst-deals-on-new-cars-a3991316773/

Last edited:

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
We bought a new 2022 for MSRP last month....

Yep. Automakers and dealers have realized that they can make more money by selling fewer vehicles at higher prices. Expect leaner inventories and fewer discounts for the foreseeable future. I don't know if we'll ever see months' worth of inventory piled up on lots waiting for buyers and discounts of thousands of dollars below MSRP again.

Several Kia and Hyundai models are selling for 16-21% above MSRP including the Rio.

2022 Kia Rio S Sedan IVT
MSRP:
$16,890
Average spent over MSRP: $3,627
Average transaction price: $20,517

https://www.consumerreports.org/buying-a-car/worst-deals-on-new-cars-a3991316773/
Nope. Automakers are so operationally leveraged that they need to have higher production. The manufactures that produce crappy cars would love the current environment to continue...
Sponsored