Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Another bad experience at Pohanka Honda in Fredericksburg, VA. My wife and I are considering a CTR and wanted to test drive one before making a decision. I know most, if not all, dealers will not allow you to test drive a new one, but I figured we could find a used one for sale to drive. Pohanka Honda had 2 new Boost blue at $7500 over that we were interested in trying to make a deal on, but also had a used 2019 that had just come in. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to drive one and hopefully make a deal with a local dealer that we've had good experiences dealing with in the past. However after showing up and talking to the salesman, he told us that they would not allow us to test drive this niche vehicle without first coming to an agreement on numbers. I totally understand they probably get a lot of joyriders in there requesting test drives all the time, but not allowing a serious customer to test drive even a used model is absolutely ridiculous IMO.
I get your frustration. I refuse to buy a car I can't sit in and at least take around the block before dropping $40K......if anything, on principle alone. I did just that with a used one before buying mine.

Maybe find one for sale at like a carmax type place and do the test drive that way? Just don't expect much from these Honda dealers.

Most of these sales people know little to nothing about the actual car except "ahhhh raaaaare", as they're used to selling CRVs all day. They look at a widebody civic with a wing that their boss told them is special come off the truck the way a remote island indigenous native looks at the first helicopter approaching overhead......

Today I spoke with Lumberton Honda in NC. They would not immediately quote me a price over the phone but took my number and the GM called me back about 10 minutes later. The GM quoted me $44,235 for a 2021 CW. When I asked if they can go any lower they refused to say anything else over the phone and would only discuss further if I showed up in person.

https://www.lumbertonhonda.com/vehicle-details/new-2021-honda-civic-type-r-touring-SHHFK8G70MU203238
I wouldn't waste my time, move on to the next one. If they're letting you go that easy over the phone, they clearly don't sound interested in attracting you as a customer.

You'll probably just waste your time going in only for them to give you the "this is a unicorn" speech and barely come down on the price. Ask me how I know......
Sponsored

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I paid a little over sticker for my 2021 BBP CTR, but the dealer experience was still pretty good.
I found a dealer 75 miles from home who had both a CW and a BBP car on the lot. I made an appointment and drove there.
When I arrived, the sales manager was waiting for me. He had both cars parked side-by-side for me to look at.
I had a trade and a bottom line OTD number in mind for what I would accept.
I asked to drive one. He handed me the keys to the white car and told me a route that would include different types of roads. Nobody went with me for the drive. Other than getting lost on unfamiliar roads, that went well.
I had driven one before. My son has a 2019. He lives 1500 miles away, though, so I didn't drive it very much.
Back to negotiating a price. After about 15 minutes of low-key haggling we got to within $400 of my bottom line, so I agreed.
Dealing with the finance woman couldn't have been easier. She held up a list of things she was supposed to try to sell me and said, "I'm guessing you don't want any of this."
I had forgotten one of the keys on my trade and also the title, so they gave me an overnight UPS envelope to mail them back to the dealership.
We switched the plates and I drove the new CTR home.
One minor note. The handling felt strange on the way home. For one thing, LKAS was on. I turned that off and it still felt funny.
Then I checked the tire pressures - between 50 and 52 PSI all around. Fixed that and things were better. The TPMS light came on twice after that. Resetting worked the second time. It hasn't happened again.
So, yeah, I paid a little over MSRP, but I was happy with the final deal.

Sholzer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP CTR, 2021 Durango Hellcat, 2014 NC Miata
Country flag
I get your frustration. I refuse to buy a car I can't sit in and at least take around the block before dropping $40K......if anything, on principle alone. I did just that with a used one before buying mine.

Maybe find one for sale at like a carmax type place and do the test drive that way? Just don't expect much from these Honda dealers.

Most of these sales people know little to nothing about the actual car except "ahhhh raaaaare", as they're used to selling CRVs all day. They look at a widebody civic with a wing that their boss told them is special come off the truck the way a remote island indigenous native looks at the first helicopter approaching overhead......
Yep, they definitely treat them like they're some exotic car or something. I owned a Cayman GT4 and while shopping for it Porsche dealers just toss you keys to pretty much whatever you'd like. Dodge dealers are also known to treat the hellcats like they're gold, but we were pretty much forced to test drive our Durango Hellcat before buying lol.

We did end up finding one locally to test drive, although it had some pretty awful cosmetic modifications so I'm not exactly sure if it was 100% stock mechanically. The sales people were pretty clueless and had no idea if it was or not.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
Another bad experience at Pohanka Honda in Fredericksburg, VA. My wife and I are considering a CTR and wanted to test drive one before making a decision. I know most, if not all, dealers will not allow you to test drive a new one, but I figured we could find a used one for sale to drive. Pohanka Honda had 2 new Boost blue at $7500 over that we were interested in trying to make a deal on, but also had a used 2019 that had just come in. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to drive one and hopefully make a deal with a local dealer that we've had good experiences dealing with in the past. However after showing up and talking to the salesman, he told us that they would not allow us to test drive this niche vehicle without first coming to an agreement on numbers. I totally understand they probably get a lot of joyriders in there requesting test drives all the time, but not allowing a serious customer to test drive even a used model is absolutely ridiculous IMO.
Pohanka did the same thing to me too!
Pearson Honda in Midlothian, VA has a Sonic Gray Type-R that has a 3k ADM, but will probably take MSRP. Call Roberto Soto at 703-398-5369

Sholzer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pohanka did the same thing to me too!
Pearson Honda in Midlothian, VA has a Sonic Gray Type-R that has a 3k ADM, but will probably take MSRP. Call Roberto Soto at 703-398-5369
Thanks, I reached out to him this morning actually and right now they're sticking to the 3k over. He said he was going to check what he could do when he gets to the dealership this afternoon, so we will see.

The sales guy at Pohanka called me back today and was very apologetic over our experience yesterday, told me how they'd like to take care of me and make it right. Gave them a chance to give me some numbers on the blue one and guess what, stuck to their 7500 over lol what a joke.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, I reached out to him this morning actually and right now they're sticking to the 3k over. He said he was going to check what he could do when he gets to the dealership this afternoon, so we will see.

The sales guy at Pohanka called me back today and was very apologetic over our experience yesterday, told me how they'd like to take care of me and make it right. Gave them a chance to give me some numbers on the blue one and guess what, stuck to their 7500 over lol what a joke.
Pearson Honda has sold their CTRs at MSRP. Roberto told me he may be able to get it for you at MSRP if you are there and make the MSRP offer. He will try to get it for you. He is one of the good guys. The sales manager, not so much... let me know how it goes

Sholzer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pearson Honda has sold their CTRs at MSRP. Roberto told me he may be able to get it for you at MSRP if you are there and make the MSRP offer. He will try to get it for you. He is one of the good guys. The sales manager, not so much... let me know how it goes
Best they'd do is 1k over, tempting, but I'm not willing to pay any ADM. He mentioned he had another buyer too, so it might be gone here soon.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Best they'd do is 1k over, tempting, but I'm not willing to pay any ADM. He mentioned he had another buyer too, so it might be gone here soon.
Oh well we tried. I bet if he didn’t have another buyer they would have sold it to you for MSRP. Stick to your hope of MSRP!
Who knows, the other buyer could back out. Persistence and patience is key

Sholzer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh well we tried. I bet if he didn’t have another buyer they would have sold it to you for MSRP. Stick to your hope of MSRP!
Who knows, the other buyer could back out. Persistence and patience is key
Definitely! The hellcat durango was a similar battle, but with A LOT less inventory available, so I'm hopeful!

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely! The hellcat durango was a similar battle, but with A LOT less inventory available, so I'm hopeful!
Are you familiar with Dominion Raceway in Thornburg just south of Fredericksburg? I just took my Type-R there for their track attack event. If you get a Type-R and want to do it after your break in period PM me and we can meet up there. I am in Richmond

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Colonial Honda in Colonial Heights. Va sells their CTRs at MSRP.
Not sure if they have any now but worth a call

Sholzer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Colonial Honda in Colonial Heights. Va sells their CTRs at MSRP.
Not sure if they have any now but worth a call
Thanks, they do have one but require 1400 in accessories (wheel locks, nitrogen, and environmental paint protection crap)

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Impreza Sport
Country flag
Saratoga Honda and Mohawk Honda, both in the NY state Capital Region are both adding $5K ADM fees. Yet, I spoke to 3 other local dealerships all willing to do MSRP, which is what I got from one of them.
Sponsored