Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag
I few more months and I won't even need to finance the car and I can write the full amount on a personal check. My potential credit union wants to see the car contract because they want me to sign a promise note because the car is bought outside of CA. I was already approved for a loan with them. I don't know what the note is me promising? Promise to register the car at the DMV?
Sponsored

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
You are in a great condition to bargain now..since you can just pay the car off. For you it would be worth waiting. Hopefully they still have Boost blue available.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
You are in a great condition to bargain now..since you can just pay the car off. For you it would be worth waiting. Hopefully they still have Boost blue available.
I really don't think that matters in getting a good deal, which we'll call msrp for this car. It only puts you in a good position in the sense of not paying interest but dealers prefer you finance to make the kick back.

In fact, my CTR sales guy told me he'd appreciate it if I finance through them so they can at least get the finders fee and then I can either pay it off or finance somewhere else if I was planning to anyway. It was actually one of the first things he asked about over the phone. Unlike a house, cash isn't king anymore when buying a car.

I really think the best route is using hondas inventory tool (which isn't always up to date but a good start) in every major city in your state and checking it weekly. Don't assume "near your location" will catch everything near you in your state. I used a city zip code that was only 45 minutes from mine and it showed the car I ended up buying in transit, the same car that didn't show up when I input my own zip code. Just cross off any dealers you end up calling that charge any markup and keep checking in with the msrp ones.

It's doable to find one.....just have to be patient. Save the excitement for after you find the car you really want to spend your hard earned money on.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
It doesn't matter whether you pay cash or finance, dealerships get their money from either you or from loan provider.
Most dealerships actually prefer buyers to finance because they can take cut/bonus.

Getting one at MSRP requires effort, time, and sometimes luck. Some buyers get frustrated after extensive search, so they either stopped looking for one or ended up paying markup. Until we get MSRP laws like Canada has, the market adjustment bs would not go away.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Agree. Cash doesn't move the needle with dealerships - they want you to finance as they have an opportunity to make some money.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Academy honda & planet honda in nj has boost blue 2021 inbound and autosport honda has a champ white 2021.

going to do some leg work n see the damage on these

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree. Cash doesn't move the needle with dealerships - they want you to finance as they have an opportunity to make some money.
Agree.
Prior to flying to ATL to drive Type R home I had a credit union pre-approved loan (PAL) w/wife and I listed. Confirmed dealer would accept her pre-sig and not have to go too. They say AOK. I get there, GM (vs SM who ok’d) has issues, both must be present to sign. I say she’s not coming but if you want to pay $700 for her round trip short notice ticket, my lodging and meals plus taxi/Uber for about $1k, we can do this tomorrow, their error (she has bad back, won’t drive home w/me plus commits - kid, animals).?

Dealer offers to match/beat my PAL terms applying solo. I was hesitant on second credit pull (doesn’t matter anyway if via same system within 30 days). Honda pulls from diff sys so credit Score even higher (well over 800) so got lower rate than PAL. of 2.9 for 66 mo (PAL 2.99). ?

My R is owned by CU and at first I own the locking lugs (added N/C). Wife owns nada when paid off except can try for half equity once she finds out about her sister and I (I wish! She’s even hotter in dreams... TMI).?

B/L is beware of creative BS dealers try to snag percentage of any loan. Never leave until financing signed, sealed or something that favors them WILL happen. Dealers I talked to it’s less of a problem since you can’t get in (at some) or test drive a Type R until financing approved (not completed). ??

Last edited:

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Academy honda & planet honda in nj has boost blue 2021 inbound and autosport honda has a champ white 2021.

going to do some leg work n see the damage on these
I bet six more people are trying already now that you shared silly. Shhhh... get the deed done then tell us about it?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Planet Honda does MSRP i remember trying with them it was straight MSRP no games

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yonkers Honda in NY has a CW 2020 inbound according to the tracker. IIRC someone recently got one there at MSRP, worth a shot.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It doesn't matter whether you pay cash or finance, dealerships get their money from either you or from loan provider.
Most dealerships actually prefer buyers to finance because they can take cut/bonus.

Getting one at MSRP requires effort, time, and sometimes luck. Some buyers get frustrated after extensive search, so they either stopped looking for one or ended up paying markup. Until we get MSRP laws like Canada has, the market adjustment bs would not go away.
Not to get into a capitalism argument but msrp is exactly what it claims: a suggested retail price. The real problem is people who give in and do pay over msrp. If enough of those people exist, then Honda clearly underpriced the car and the market is truly above their msrp. If everyone refused to do business with some asshat dealer going above Honda's recommendation to squeeze out a few extra Ks, these places would have inventory collecting dust and the problem would be solved.

I can't see how msrp cap laws stop this versus just shifting the markup to the secondhand market for something truly rare and desireable, like you see with some of the Porsche GT cars. Probably doesn't happen with the CTR because most people really aren't willing to pay that much above msrp anymore for something that isn't really super rare or, if they are, its only a few thousand as an impatience tax on themselves.

I know I kept a detailed sheet when calling the dealers I talked to and marked any one that was selling over msrp for my records. I will never spend a dime at any of those dealers, ever, and will steer friends and family only to the ones that didn't try to scalp. I'm not upset at them, I just choose to take my business elsewhere indefinitely. As soon as markup was brought up, I replied with a giggle and prompt ending of the conversation.

To each their own but I wish more of the community was more willing to not give in and just walk away from some silly markup from the time this car came out. Or maybe it was priced too aggressively......

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Planet Honda does MSRP i remember trying with them it was straight MSRP no games
Thats different from my experience. I am certain when I tried in early 2018 they wanted $5K ADM for an ABM CTR.

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag
I only mentioned the ideal situation of paying the car full up front and not have to deal with an outside credit union to make things simple. I do not have to get anyone else involved or get their approval for anything.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When people say cars are in transit, are they getting the info from the CTR inventory search page on Honda's website? Because I punch in the zip of the dealers people mention, but I don't see anything.

I had placed an order for a Rallye Red at my dealer, checking every day for the "in transit" status and still nothing shows up on the search. Just wondering if there's another source to check.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When people say cars are in transit, are they getting the info from the CTR inventory search page on Honda's website? Because I punch in the zip of the dealers people mention, but I don't see anything.

I had placed an order for a Rallye Red at my dealer, checking every day for the "in transit" status and still nothing shows up on the search. Just wondering if there's another source to check.
I could be wrong but I suspect "in transit" is when the allocated car is actually on the way to the dealer. You probably have locked in an allocated car that hasn't been sent off yet. Only because of the ETAs I've been told for the few I've asked about in transit.

But that could also be complete fake news so ignore me.....
Sponsored