Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

seijitsu

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, BB; 2008 Civic Si Sedan, Fuji Blue
Country flag
Please don't take this the wrong way but it's hard to believe for a California dealership to match an out of state price for a brand new Type R. They would just say "go buy it there." They always go by the "local market prices." Besides are you really willing to buy an out of state Type R and at what cost to ship the car here or even drive it back to California. Also if you buy a car out of state and bring it to Cali. you have to get it smog to register it to our DMV as far as I know BUT Smog rule are always changing. Also you would have to do all the leg work of registration.
It is all good. Not taking it the worry way at all. Some of what you said is true. Some dealerships will say "go buy it there" but not in those exact words (usually the ones selling at 47K and above). However, I would try to see if they would match a price; you lose nothing by asking.

Some people here were able to negotiate great deals from California dealerships (some at MSRP). However, there are handful of people on this forum who purchased their type r out of state. For me, getting a 2020 type r in boost blue proved to be a cheaper purchase out of state (that is including shipping). Do not let the "leg work of registration" limiting your buying options. It does not take much time if any to research and verify. Just because we live here in California, does not mean we should restrict ourselves....
Sponsored

aceofny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stevensantiago.net
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well I had a trade in to 2015 civic si so I had to get a good trade in value to make the deal work for me. I got them to give me 12k for the trade in and i put 6k down payment. I was already approved for a loan through my bank USAA 3.5% interest. Which they couldn't beat through any of their banks, so last step for me and getting closer to the MSRP price as I could we took alot of back and fourth and possibly walking out after 6 plus hours at the dealership.

But Beverly hooked it up and was the nicest sales person I ever meet at a Honda dealership she made sure to make things work and the customer service was great. Norm Reeves honda were douchebags and the other dealers I went to.

Her info:

Beverly Telmo

Galpin Honda
11151 Laurel Canyon Boulevard
Mission Hills, CA 91340
818-321-0932

Can you please elaborate on ”fight” for those still hunting in So cal? Btw, awesome price.

seijitsu

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! That's what I would like to believe hahaha.

Because at the time I was searching, Grainger Honda had one at MSRP and an out the door price of around $42,472. Shipping to Cali was estimated to be $1,195.

I think it price is close enough, that I decided to just buy locally and get it now.

That is a solid deal!!!

seijitsu

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Before I forget.

As of 26 June 2020:
Spreen Honda: 2020 Boost Blue CTR asking for $58k plus TTL. I tried negotiating but according to the sales guy, his manager said no.

Lol. They increased the price substantially.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Well I had a trade in to 2015 civic si so I had to get a good trade in value to make the deal work for me. I got them to give me 12k for the trade in and i put 6k down payment. I was already approved for a loan through my bank USAA 3.5% interest. Which they couldn't beat through any of their banks, so last step for me and getting closer to the MSRP price as I could we took alot of back and fourth and possibly walking out after 6 plus hours at the dealership.

But Beverly hooked it up and was the nicest sales person I ever meet at a Honda dealership she made sure to make things work and the customer service was great. Norm Reeves honda were douchebags and the other dealers I went to.

Her info:

Beverly Telmo

Galpin Honda
11151 Laurel Canyon Boulevard
Mission Hills, CA 91340
818-321-0932
You gotta love those dealer games... good for you on standing your ground and not folding. Did you purchase your si from them or were they just on your shopping list?

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
You gotta love those dealer games... good for you on standing your ground and not folding. Did you purchase your si from them or were they just on your shopping list?
2.29 % navy federal , 72 months

VF1J-527

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Fiesta ST
Country flag
Recently purchased a 2020 CW CTR at Shottenkirk Honda in NorCal.

37,950 MSRP
+1,000 ADM
+3,747 Reg and Tax
=42,697 Out the door price

Hope this offers my fellow Californians some encouragement that there are reasonable deals out there. Stay in contact with the dealers, exercise persistence, and one of them will eventually bite.

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag

37,950 MSRP
+1,000 ADM
+3,747 Reg and Tax

Hope this offers my fellow Californians some encouragement that there are reasonable deals out there. Stay in contact with the dealers, exercise persistence, and one of them will eventually bite.
Congratulations. I am sure I negotiated for that specific car as well. I would remember it if I was able to negotiate them down to +1k; which I obviously did not.

lou430

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R BB, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2011 Honda CR-Z EX
Country flag

37,950 MSRP
+1,000 ADM
+3,747 Reg and Tax

Congrats and your ride. Excellent deal all things considered. Here in Florida you still have to pay a dealer fee on top of that. Every dealership here charges it and they vary from $499 to $899.

I'd rather pay that and drive home than ship it home or put miles on the car. I guess you have to pay to play so not complaining.

jasenkent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm giving up on the Type R for now!

The 8 dealers in my 40 mile radius have sold all 11 of their Type R's for around the same price of $45,000 with a couple of them going for $48,000.

I've done searches for dealers further away from me and in other states and most will still not give you an honest, upfront answer on what the true "out the door" price would be for their Type R.

As more and more are sold, the dealers have assumed this "Bully" type of attitude if you even try to deal on the price with them.

As the Coronavirus is expanding rapidly in my state of Texas (10,000 cases a day now) and we're locked in a heat wave,, I'm just not in the mood anymore to venture all over the state or country to find a good deal on a Type R.

My 2017 Civic Si is running just fine, so I'm not desperate. I can wait. Oddly enough, there aren't that many 2020 Civic Si's at these dealerships either. Most all of the dealers in my area seem to only have one or two 2020 Si's. Some of them have no 2020 Si's. What the hell?

HkDrummer

First Name
Tynan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Viper
Country flag
How and why are dealers still trying to ad markups to these cars? So ridiculous. I see them listed all over autotrader for msrp, then you inquire and they hit you with the 5k dollar markup. Fuck outta here.

jasenkent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How and why are dealers still trying to ad markups to these cars? So ridiculous. I see them listed all over autotrader for msrp, then you inquire and they hit you with the 5k dollar markup. Fuck outta here.
Exactly my point! Not only are they adding useless "add ons" like Nitrogen in the tires, etc., they also hit you with the "Dealer Market Adjustment Pricing".

I really feel that this Coronavirus is going to be with us for months and that we are slipping backwards towards another "shelter in place" or lockdown. I feel that this is going to affect the car industry, possibly in a major way.

At one point, where I live, there were more 2020 Type R's than 2020 Si's.

Last edited:

lou430

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Supply and demand. Shortage of R's means highest bidder.

Question is if asking price = perceived value

It already broke track records. It still gets high marks in every review even years later. I mean if that isn't a solid package what is?

I enjoy my R more than I ever did my Cayman S.

HkDrummer

First Name
Tynan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Viper
Country flag
Supply and demand. Shortage of R's means highest bidder.

Question is if asking price = perceived value

It already broke track records. It still gets high marks in every review even years later. I mean if that isn't a solid package what is?

I enjoy my R more than I ever did my Cayman S.
There are over 230 type Rs on autotrader alone. Hardly a supply issue. At this point there’s no issues locating them or obtaining one. They’re just playing stupid games. Some of these cars are sitting on dealer lots collecting dust. How can a dealer possibly justify adding a premium to a 2019 leftover when there are now new updated models. It’s friggan dumb.

lou430

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are over 230 type Rs on autotrader alone. Hardly a supply issue. At this point there’s no issues locating them or obtaining one. They’re just playing stupid games. Some of these cars are sitting on dealer lots collecting dust. How can a dealer possibly justify adding a premium to a 2019 leftover when there are now new updated models. It’s friggan dumb.
Shortage in the sense if dealership only has 1 or 2 compared to 11 EX or sport models. Some of these dealership only get 1 or 2 Type R a year unless special order. My wife works for Honda so I know a little about how it works.

and I still paid over MSRP and had to go to another dealership to buy the R
Sponsored

Last edited: