Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or wait 3 years and buy one $1000 below invoice. I've said it a million times. Best time to buy any new Honda is 3-4 years in a generation. 2019-2020 will be the sweet spot for the 10th Gen civic. ;)

I guess if you tell them you are in the car business as well they'll stop the BS right away.

Worked for Focus RS. 1K off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
erbee

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I'm still having a hard time believing that all you had to do to get a bigger discount than most was to just say "I'm in the car business too". Not that it really matters I suppose, I'm just not believing that lol.

Dude. You believe what you believe. Salespersons are really good at identifying a lie. They will ask you questions. You need to give them the right answer without thinking. If they find out. They will BS you back right away. Of course it takes more then a simple sentence and a business card get you that discount.

OP
OP
erbee

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Or wait 3 years and buy one $1000 below invoice. I've said it a million times. Best time to buy any new Honda is 3-4 years in a generation. 2019-2020 will be the sweet spot for the 10th Gen civic. ;)
I remember 3 months after 1.5t launch it's already 4K off from truecar. It takes some homework to get a deal. For example A Ghibli can be had over 20k off right now .

Mayberrymojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Si
All Utah Honda dealers I have contacted are adding some kind of markup. :mad:

Ken Garff Honda: MSRP + $5k
Larry H. Miller Honda: MSRP + $5-$8k (Salesman said they are not sure what the market will be yet)
Performance Honda: MSRP + $5k (Also not sure yet)

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
That's when I'm getting one ( 2-3 yrs ).....:thumbsup:

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
All Utah Honda dealers I have contacted are adding some kind of markup. :mad:

Ken Garff Honda: MSRP + $5k
Larry H. Miller Honda: MSRP + $5-$8k (Salesman said they are not sure what the market will be yet)
Performance Honda: MSRP + $5k (Also not sure yet)
They know most Mormons are very good with their money...

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
Well I suck because I bought a 2016 and a 2017. I couldn't hold out.. lol
I know the feeling, got about 23 payments to go on my ride and it will be time to sell and go find a Type R............................................:nixon:

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I remember 3 months after 1.5t launch it's already 4K off from truecar. It takes some homework to get a deal. For example A Ghibli can be had over 20k off right now .
Sept 2016 in Europe, a Honda dealer was offering me 1500k eur off FK2 Type R.

As they say in North America "cash is king". Whilst having the money in pockets you're in control of the situation. You can afford to wait, negotiate, no need to rush. You'll always find something of your money's worth.

Dealerships are businesses they want to get the most out of it. I don't like the markups either but if there is demand they'll take the money. I was reading the other day about a suit filed by GT350(advertised as a track capable car) owners about transmission/differential overheating after few track laps and car going into protection limp mode. Don't even want to think about long term implications. And I remembered the psychosis of getting GT350s at huge markups. I am for letting things cool down, assess the situation and go for it if makes sense.
I'm not being cheap. I like fine things and I have no problem to pay top $$$. But I need to know exactly what I'm spending the money on. I'll ask countless questions and take my time. I don't want to end up with something inappropriate for my needs and then take at least a 5k loss: initial depreciation, maintenance, tyres, accessories. Plus wasted time/stress.

Last edited:

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
They know most Mormons are very good with their money...
Not real good with facts though. Joseph smith being a prophet and and a type r ADM are two different things

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
At Faulkner Honda in Harrisburg, PA "After the meeting in DC last week, the other dealers were discussing up to $10k markup. That said, we don't know what we are doing yet. We have to make our money on these low volume units because the first s2000's were being bought here at MSRP and sold the next day on ebay for $5000 more"

I 'retorted' that paying up to $45k for this car wasn't going to happen. I'm happy to deposit at MSRP but not at MSRP plus unknown markup.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
At Faulkner Honda in Harrisburg, PA "After the meeting in DC last week, the other dealers were discussing up to $10k markup. That said, we don't know what we are doing yet. We have to make our money on these low volume units because the first s2000's were being bought here at MSRP and sold the next day on ebay for $5000 more"

I 'retorted' that paying up to $45k for this car wasn't going to happen. I'm happy to deposit at MSRP but not at MSRP plus unknown markup.
I talked with Conicelli Honda and they said that they will be marking the car up 5k, but mentioned that the surrounding dealers were going to be marking up 7.5k to 10k

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
Yeah I've tried to get information from my dealerships owner who went to the meeting in DC. He said that he signed a document promising that he wouldn't say anything. All he told me is "Good thing you put a deposit down when you did, because we might not even get another one this year", this was also coming from the same owner that made fun of me for putting a deposit down a year and a half ago when this TYPE R was a rumor. He typically makes fun of me for being a "Honda Nerd", but he was genuinely concerned about how few of these are going to be produced. Statements like, "It just sucks that Honda has finally made a badass car, but there might be dealerships that don't even get another one for the rest of the year after the initial ones get here".

He also mentioned that at the meeting Honda even recognized how few of these there will be (didn't give me any kind of number but I could tell he knew), that they were telling dealership principals to please not mark them much over MSRP when they know that they easily could.

I even told him how many I guessed would be produced (which some of the members here know I've stated I think we'd get around 2000-2500 per year), and he laughed at that. Not in a comical way as though I came painfully close, or assumed too little. He laughed as though we'd be lucky to get even that.

Once again, I really hope that I'm wrong about the availability of these cars. But i don't think that I am.

PS: I also had a friend of mine who works higher up in another dealership as a manager call me and ask me if we planned on marking them up over MSRP, "seeing that we now know how few there will be". So maybe he knows something that I don't. I'll keep asking for more information from him, because in his position he would surely know how many are planning to be made, but I'm starting to get to the point that I don't want to keep asking because I'm not liking the answers.
Sponsored

Last edited: