Honda Civic Hatchback prototype to debut at Geneva!

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Well that is disappointing. This is a lift back, not a hatchback. You can see looking at this that this is just like the camoed Tybe R design with the sloping rear end. The protrusions on the roof hinges can be seen in the camoed spy pics out there so we already know exactly what this will look like in basic shape at least. It is a hatch technically, but not what many are waiting for.

Ah well, maybe next time Honda.

Bubb2521

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i, TT RS
It's what I'm waiting for. Did anyone really think the overall styling of the hatch was going to differ from the type-r spy shots?

paterico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRX, RSX
There's no way that they take 8-12 months to release the hatchback. Frankly, I will be surprised if the Type R isn't out before the end of this year.

The "hot hatch" class is all the rage in the UK and there's a lot of competition. I can see why there was a lot of hype and a long concept-to-production time for the UK Type R.

The fact that the type R powerplant is already developed and that there is no FWD competition in the US for this car makes me think that Honda is probably promoting/teasing at it less because they don't have to attract and hold the attention of thousands of car buyers who could change their mind and buy another "hot hatch" or high-powered FWD car. They simply don't exist here, at least not in the ~300HP range.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Ok now somebody put this rear end on the prototype- in isometric type view... Maybe add it to the Christmas render... And go!

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let me start by saying that I'm COMPLETELY making this up...
A Prototype in March of a car that, supposedly, has been lapping the 'Ring for a few months, would lend itself to a 'possible' production version ready for SEMA.

Again, this is completely made up, but I believe realistic.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In terms of the hatch release, given that we know for a fact that the Euro 9th gen is reaching the end of it's lifespan by summer of this year, could mean the hatch will be out sooner than we think (at least in UK, release will probably be staggered for here until fall). So coupe in March, Si models in summer and finishing it off will be the base hatches this fall with the Type R possibly making it to production by end of 2016 first quarter of 2017.

We assume the release timeline between the concept/sedan debut/sedan production/coupe debut/coupe production is a 100% foreshadowing of the timeline for the hatch, but the fact that honda already has the engines sorted, the whole front end of the car remains the same there's not a whole lot of reason to assume the hatch will have quite as long a waiting period from debut to production. The thing that'll delay it here is the fact it has to be shipped over, but at least we'll be able to see what it looks like based on the UK spec with only minor differences in trims/engine options.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In terms of the hatch release, given that we know for a fact that the Euro 9th gen is reaching the end of it's lifespan by summer of this year, could mean the hatch will be out sooner than we think (at least in UK, release will probably be staggered for here until fall). So coupe in March, Si models in summer and finishing it off will be the base hatches this fall with the Type R possibly making it to production by end of 2016 first quarter of 2017.

We assume the release timeline between the concept/sedan debut/sedan production/coupe debut/coupe production is a 100% foreshadowing of the timeline for the hatch, but the fact that honda already has the engines sorted, the whole front end of the car remains the same there's not a whole lot of reason to assume the hatch will have quite as long a waiting period from debut to production. The thing that'll delay it here is the fact it has to be shipped over, but at least we'll be able to see what it looks like based on the UK spec with only minor differences in trims/engine options.
I thought they said (In LA Auto Show) to not expect an Si until 2017... either way they could be misinformed or deliberately misleading us. How many people buy the EX-T now because they are told they have to wait a year for an Si...vs how many people buy nothing now to wait for a few months for an Si...
I'm kinda thinking we'll see hatches before Si's. I don't think we'll see TypeR's before Si's, but who knows.
One thing that could delay launch - if there's any truth to the awd rumor...

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought they said (In LA Auto Show) to not expect an Si until 2017... either way they could be misinformed or deliberately misleading us. How many people buy the EX-T now because they are told they have to wait a year for an Si...vs how many people buy nothing now to wait for a few months for an Si...
I'm kinda thinking we'll see hatches before Si's. I don't think we'll see TypeR's before Si's, but who knows.
One thing that could delay launch - if there's any truth to the awd rumor...
I think alot of the talk of 2017 is referring more to model year 2017, more than actual 2017 year. It would make sense if the Si is launched as 2017 model year it'd be launched around late summer or so. Also, anything not coming directly from a honda executive is probably speculation as best anyway. I don't think we'll see hatches before Si models, only because they've already got the sedans on lots and coupes in another month or so. It's more the logical rollout to see the coupe/sedan Si models. The hatches might release in the UK around that time, but they've mentioned staggered release of the hatch in the US (obviously since we're only getting a fraction of hatches built in the UK) so late fall early winter makes sense and would put the hatch almost exactly a year after the sedan launched here. At latest first quarter 2017 for the hatches. As for the Type R? Not really sure... depends on how quickly they feel the Type R is needed. Like i said, the fact that the engine of the base cars and the front end build of the car is already figured out in whole speeds up the usual testing processes and therefore should speed up when we see them on lots compared to when they debut.

Honda mentioned an 18 month (i believe) rollout of the new civic. Lets assume the Type R will be the final model variant to roll out. Looking at an 18 month time span from the Sedans that released here this past november puts the final rollout squarely in Summer of 2017. Given that the Type R will be the most niche and lowest selling variant (by volume) it's pretty safe IMO to say the Si variants will come before that. My best bet would be a 2017 model year launch for the Si and the 1.5T manual variants this summer/fall which is roughly give or take the same time gap between the sedans and coupes.

BUT, this is just my observation/opinion and what i think is most logical. Goodness knows honda has been anything but logical with this rollout. Just trying to give some optimistic hope with a dash of logic. haha.

Last edited:

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Word - pretty much the same way the Green coupe was... btw when did we first see the Green coupe unveiled? March of last year? I forget... it would give a good idea how long between 'auto show concept' and 'on dealer lots.'
The green coupe was unveiled on April 1, 2015. Everybody thought it was an April Fool's joke.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
:agree: It's all reasonable! I do remember the 18 month rollout...hopefully that is indeed the case. That would put us at April 2017 for the final stage - presumably the TypeR. That would coincide with the release of Fast and Furious 8, so that's great!

On the topic of Hatches, am I the only one that thinks the GTi hatch, in 2dr or 4dr, is about the best execution of a hatch out there now? Maybe that or A3. Close behind is the STi hatch.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The green coupe was unveiled on April 1, 2015. Everybody thought it was an April Fool's joke.
Ahh yes that's right! So it took about 11 months to go from that to lot. That would line up well with what RobbJK said above.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:agree: It's all reasonable! I do remember the 18 month rollout...hopefully that is indeed the case. That would put us at April 2017 for the final stage - presumably the TypeR. That would coincide with the release of Fast and Furious 8, so that's great!

On the topic of Hatches, am I the only one that thinks the GTi hatch, in 2dr or 4dr, is about the best execution of a hatch out there now? Maybe that or A3. Close behind is the STi hatch.
IMO, the two best looking hatches on the market arent even sold here in the states. Those are the VW Scirocco and the Kia Pro'Ceed GT 3 door. Both are gorgeous hatches and all we get are their boring/frumpy cousins the golf and the forte.
Sponsored