aadaayy

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan LX 2017
Country flag
Hello everyone, for future note this might be a dumb question but, I was wondering if it’s possible swapping my Honda Civic 2017 LX 2.0 non liter motor, for a Honda Civic Si 10th gen or up (or type r), I was wondering because my car is an automatic and I know the engine has nothing to do with that and it’s mainly the transmission I just want to know for compatibility sakes. To the people that say I should’ve gotten an Si, I couldn’t because I got a steal on my LX an I had a massive hook up, and If the engine swap doesn’t work will a transmission and engine swap work? Thank you guys for the future comments!
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You'll be swapping engine, trans, ECU, and just about all the goodies attached. Like water pump, oil pump, ect. Doesn't matter if you're going to a 1.5t or 2.0T.

Unfortunately it would have to be one hell of a hookup to be cheaper then just getting the SI or R.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With enough money and time you can swap anything in. SBC, LS, 2JZ, RB26, SR20...

Is it worth the time and money? Depends on what those are worth to you

OP
OP
aadaayy

aadaayy

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You'll be swapping engine, trans, ECU, and just about all the goodies attached. Like water pump, oil pump, ect. Doesn't matter if you're going to a 1.5t or 2.0T.

Unfortunately it would have to be one hell of a hookup to be cheaper then just getting the SI or R.
So I would not be able to just put an Si or R in my civic and leave it automatic? I would need to swap everything including that? So in your opinion the 35k on the Type R is much cheaper??

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are a lot of unknown variables at play here to really give you a clear answer.

1.) Are you knowledgeable/skilled enough and have the tools to do this on your own? - Yes? you'll save a ton in labor and i mean a TON!
2.) How much of a deal did you actually get? - Ultimately that would decide if getting the LX was worth your savings.
3.) Is this your daily? - Yes? then can you afford to not have a car for X amount of time it will take for the swap?
4.) Will this swap cause more problems with longevity and how it runs? - If this is a project car then you're good, but i'd imagine (just speculating) an engine swap would cause more headaches in the long run since that engine wasn't meant for that car. Its now a custom build. You'd be on your own when it comes to any type car q's moving forward.

I'm sure there is a lot more that comes into play but those 4 are the main concern and most costly (to my knowledge) if you wanted this done.
Regarding the CTR, My pops just got his yesterday (sonic gray) and the car cost 42k (about 5g's in mark up... White would have been 7g's) and depending on your state, licensing and rego will be another few grand.

Good luck with your decision man but if it was my choice, id just ride out the civic you have. I'd upgrade your LX (wheels, wider tires, RSB, Coil overs, ktuner, exhaust, etc...) because HP isnt everything. Good thing is you have a 10th Gen platform and tbh these things handle very very well. Thats coming from a guy who had a 350z and finally drove a CTR lol Its shockling not that much of a downgrade. Granted i have the SI but these 10th Gens have a lot of interchangeable parts. plus its like the old saying goes...

"Whats more fun... Driving a fast car slow or a slow car fast?":drive:

OP
OP
aadaayy

aadaayy

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are a lot of unknown variables at play here to really give you a clear answer.

1.) Are you knowledgeable/skilled enough and have the tools to do this on your own? - Yes? you'll save a ton in labor and i mean a TON!
2.) How much of a deal did you actually get? - Ultimately that would decide if getting the LX was worth your savings.
3.) Is this your daily? - Yes? then can you afford to not have a car for X amount of time it will take for the swap?
4.) Will this swap cause more problems with longevity and how it runs? - If this is a project car then you're good, but i'd imagine (just speculating) an engine swap would cause more headaches in the long run since that engine wasn't meant for that car. Its now a custom build. You'd be on your own when it comes to any type car q's moving forward.

I'm sure there is a lot more that comes into play but those 4 are the main concern and most costly (to my knowledge) if you wanted this done.
Regarding the CTR, My pops just got his yesterday (sonic gray) and the car cost 42k (about 5g's in mark up... White would have been 7g's) and depending on your state, licensing and rego will be another few grand.

Good luck with your decision man but if it was my choice, id just ride out the civic you have. I'd upgrade your LX (wheels, wider tires, RSB, Coil overs, ktuner, exhaust, etc...) because HP isnt everything. Good thing is you have a 10th Gen platform and tbh these things handle very very well. Thats coming from a guy who had a 350z and finally drove a CTR lol Its shockling not that much of a downgrade. Granted i have the SI but these 10th Gens have a lot of interchangeable parts. plus its like the old saying goes...

"Whats more fun... Driving a fast car slow or a slow car fast?":drive:
Thanks your help and guidance and very descriptive message, my question would be the things to tune my car and make it run faster, you mentioned Ktuner but can I do that for a 2.0 non turbo car? And my grandpa is a mechanic and has been one for 25 years, we do all our work together, first thing that’s coming in is changing my seats, and I wanted to change the rims and the calibers and the breaks, but what would you recommend to make my car have a higher performance, keep in mind I’m not THAT knowledgeable, so if I can use a Ktuner on my car, which would you recommend and is there a video on how and what settings to put it on? Thank you for your reply

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Aaaaahhhh okay i didnt know there was non-turbo makes. I just assumed Honda switched to turbos on every model for the fuel efficiency. Yeah ktuner would be a no go then lol
Honestly it sounds like you may be able to pull it off given your situation but im less of a risk taker when it comes to cars. Delt with too many shitty cars since i was 15 and the peace of mind, driving a something i know will have no problems in the near future, out weighs power for me. Modding has a snowball effect in the sense that it is an action and reaction once something changed. May be small reaction and maybe unnoticeable but there is a reason cars take forever to R&D lol again, i'd go with handling mods and exterior looks first. who knows... you might fall in love with it during the process and feel a engine swap pointless.

Who knows, maybe you could just throw a turbo on it lol im no expert and dont know if its possible but that seems to be an easier/cheaper route IMO.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
There's a post on this forum where someone turbo'd there NA 2.0.

I don't believe it turned out well. He ran into alot of issues.

I don't believe you can keep the automatic transmission or the NA 2.0 ECU. But that's a @KTuner question.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely need to do an entire swap of the power train. No way you can reuse that weak CVT from the 2.0 for the 1.5T or 2.0T

OP
OP
aadaayy

aadaayy

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Aaaaahhhh okay i didnt know there was non-turbo makes. I just assumed Honda switched to turbos on every model for the fuel efficiency. Yeah ktuner would be a no go then lol
Honestly it sounds like you may be able to pull it off given your situation but im less of a risk taker when it comes to cars. Delt with too many shitty cars since i was 15 and the peace of mind, driving a something i know will have no problems in the near future, out weighs power for me. Modding has a snowball effect in the sense that it is an action and reaction once something changed. May be small reaction and maybe unnoticeable but there is a reason cars take forever to R&D lol again, i'd go with handling mods and exterior looks first. who knows... you might fall in love with it during the process and feel a engine swap pointless.

Who knows, maybe you could just throw a turbo on it lol im no expert and dont know if its possible but that seems to be an easier/cheaper route IMO.
Trust me I’m in love with my car I’m doing interior and exterior mods like swapping front seats to Type R look alikes and all that fun stuff I drive this car with a smile from ear to ear, but thanks for the info, and driving a fast car slow is the best

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Trust me I’m in love with my car I’m doing interior and exterior mods like swapping front seats to Type R look alikes and all that fun stuff I drive this car with a smile from ear to ear, but thanks for the info, and driving a fast car slow is the best
Keep in mind the front seats contain airbags. upon removal of said airbag, you will have an SRS Airbag error.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i think my main question is the ecu.
are you going to use the si ecu? if so will it throw errors about the lx suspension and brakes?
i know the trans ecu is separate but everything is so interconnected that you might have to go aftermarket ecu. $$$

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
This is not a smart idea. Sell the LX and get an Si.

Or just keep the LX, do your cosmetic mods and enjoy it for what it is. A great, reliable, fun daily driver.

Last edited:

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would not venture this route.

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
I don't advise you to do that.
You will only have problems and costs substantials.
If you want more power,maybe a good workshop
could modify your 2.0 L or change your car.
Sponsored