martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe 2005 yzfr1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
a c i d.f l y said:
I can't speak to the differences between the CVT's across various models, though looking at their components the CR-V 2WD, Civic 2dr and 4dr Turbo models look virtually identical, while the 2.0 CVT looks slightly different.

2017 CRV 2WD & C
at-transmission-case-components-3075443.png

2017 Civic 2.0
at-transmission-case-components-3075453.png

Lastly, Ktuner does not change the transmission at all. The ECU does not control the CVT, it has its own control unit independent of the ECU, and adjust automatically to changing power loads. Ktuner adjusts throttle response and lowers vtec activation, nothing to do with the CVT.
So I'm not 100% sure if Honda cvt works like the one in this video but it's saying all cvt's period. The part I'm video speaking about engine upgrades starts around 2:20 on video counter. CHECK IT OUT .
Sponsored

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
So I'm not 100% sure if Honda cvt works like the one in this video but it's saying all cvt's period. The part I'm video speaking about engine upgrades starts around 2:20 on video counter. CHECK IT OUT .
Honda CVT's are a bit smarter than everything before them. They adjust the power band automatically, based on power applied, and load (such as the CR-V towing something, or carrying additional passengers). The one thing it doesn't account for is a higher redline, so something like improved cams pushing the redline up would not be taken advantage of without a CVT computer flash. When I'm running WOT, it "false shifts" across the 4500-7000 range to ensure maximum power is being applied, continuously.

Nothing most of us have done has changed will affect where the primary power curve happens (which tends to be near redline for vtec motors). Some power has been added at the initial acceleration, though that's nowhere near the primary power curve. Most of the power that Ktuner has picked up is near redline. Just look at the dyno comparison, where the power curve falls off heavily on stock. The catless downpipe shifts also the curve up, and doesn't change where the power is ideal. Cams would shift the curve right.

Does that make sense? Something I hadn't considered, and a good call out.

Though I wonder...if the rev limiter on the engine was pushed higher, would the CVT account for that automagically? Since the engine ECU and CVT ECU operate independently...

Ktuner dyno vs stock
Honda Civic 10th gen HONDA CIVIC 2017 LX 2.0L MODS/QUESTIONS 20180508_093248

Last edited:

CCRIDER74

First Name
martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda CVT's are a bit smarter than everything before them. They adjust the power band automatically, based on power applied, and load (such as the CR-V towing something, or carrying additional passengers). The one thing it doesn't account for is a higher redline, so something like improved cams pushing the redline up would not be taken advantage of without a CVT computer flash. When I'm running WOT, it "false shifts" across the 4500-7000 range to ensure maximum power is being applied, continuously.

Nothing most of us have done has changed will affect where the primary power curve happens (which tends to be near redline for vtec motors). Some power has been added at the initial acceleration, though that's nowhere near the primary power curve. Most of the power that Ktuner has picked up is near redline. Just look at the dyno comparison, where the power curve falls off heavily on stock. The catless downpipe shifts also the curve up, and doesn't change where the power is ideal. Cams would shift the curve right.

Does that make sense? Something I hadn't considered, and a good call out.

Though I wonder...if the rev limiter on the engine was pushed higher, would the CVT account for that automagically? Since the engine ECU and CVT ECU operate independently...

Ktuner dyno vs stock
20180508_093248.jpg
Yes makes sense . So now my question : if reflash is required for wheel and tire comboes is answered. By electonical inputs witch control stepper and multiple other parts that in turn do the mechanical. Together they automatically find a sweet spot regardless of hrsepwr. Unless the power goes above red line on the motor. It's a ton more going on but ...

CCRIDER74

First Name
martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes makes sense . So now my question : if reflash is required for wheel and tire comboes is answered. By electonical inputs witch control stepper and multiple other parts that in turn do the mechanical. Together they automatically find a sweet spot regardless of hrsepwr. Unless the power goes above red line on the motor. It's a ton more going on but ...
Helps me a ton on if whether I was gonna do ktuner and pipes would love some decent coilovers but prob have to settle for Eiback pro springs. .If anyone knows better value for coupe ? I get that the 2.0 coupe isn't a Gtr or bmw. The car gots potential ! Look at kids in mid 1990's they were taking base models and dicking with them to get up to and over 800 hp where the Honda civic street legal horsepower number stops im not knowing ,but all the other models come with fricken bells and whistles a racer would chuck out the window but now they are systems needing to be dealt with ....

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Next time I'm on the Texas autobahn I'll record a video.

Once my warranty expires, I'll drop in cams, rockers, springs, new sleeves, pistons, throttle body, spacer, intake manifold....balls out, basically. The older 2.0 hitting 9000rpm with 14:1 compression ratio was insane. We'll see what kind of horses can be pushed while keeping the torque around 200. It was hinted that a lot of the K20/K24 parts are interchangeable, including the K20C2.

badmonbb

First Name
Amaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex 2.0
Country flag
Yes worth it ..
I have a rv6p downpipe, and a tune from ktuner ..
stock was 158 hp 138 ft-lbs
Now I’m at 175 hp 157 ft-lbs
( engine crank)
Are these gains done with the base map they provide? Such as increasing throttle response?

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
Do you know gains from a stock 2.0 Na using the base map?
Here’s a comparison of my first custom tune map compared to my most recent tune for the k20c2 6 speed with intake/catless downpipe ...

Although they both tunes peak at estimated 173hp You can see the biggest gains are in the redline areas where my final tune helps pull harder to its redline of 7200 rpm
Peak power was at 6750 rpms ...

115 hp at 7200 rpms to now 157hp at 7200rpm is huge ...
Ambient Conditions are roughly similar for both runs

Honda Civic 10th gen HONDA CIVIC 2017 LX 2.0L MODS/QUESTIONS C9E0E703-E4F2-4D3E-BC3A-A73873B69805

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Chalumpa

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe CVT 2.0
Country flag
whats up guys-

Im looking to see if it is worth getting either a ktuner tune or a hondata flash for my 2.0L CVT civic LX. I am also looking for other performance mods I can possibly do to my vehicle. There isn't alot of 2.0 love on this site lol but hopefully there is someone out there!!!

I already have:
-20% tint
-blacked out rims
-k&n drop in air filter
-LED headlights

Worth doing any performance mods to a 2.0L CVT?

Thanks!
howdy ! i have exact same car as you, mine is just about stock i want more speed but im not 100% if its even worth modding, id be more than satisfied with getting up to 200hp as thats my goal in this car but im not sure if its even possible but how is your civic holding up ? what did you start with ? what are your numbers looking like ?

Slippery Pickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Sedan 2020
Country flag
howdy ! i have exact same car as you, mine is just about stock i want more speed but im not 100% if its even worth modding, id be more than satisfied with getting up to 200hp as thats my goal in this car but im not sure if its even possible but how is your civic holding up ? what did you start with ? what are your numbers looking like ?
I have a 2020 Honda Civic Sport Sedan 2.0 and I am curious to know if it is worth to mod a Honda Civic Sport Sedan 2.0L. hope someone responds haha!
Sponsored

Last edited: