Honda Civic 2016 Oil leak repair under warranty .

jetixspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX
Country flag
Hello All,

I have a Civic 2016 and within five years of use and just over 60k of mileage, I had nothing but issues with the car.

I took my car to the dealership and this is the third time I had taken the car for diagnosis/repair for the same issue. There is an oil leak somewhere in the engine, they told me that there was oil residues but couldn't tell where the leak was. They think it is the front cam solenoid. However, they cleaned the residues and suggested to bring my car again in two weeks for a follow up inspection.

As I said this is not the first time:
First Repair: November 2019 - Oil leak complaint, Re-sealed chain cover case, under warranty
Second Repair: April 2020 - Oil leak complaint, Replaced crankshaft seal, under warranty
Third Repair: May 2020 - Unrelated issue, AC repair under warranty

The service advisor told me that they might need to charge me for the repair, since the warranty does not last forever but it all depends on what the technician finds and what Honda Corporate decides. I do understand this, but it is frustrating that I have to bring my car three or five times for an issue that should've been repaired the first time. For the first two visits, it seemed the technicians were just guessing what to replace and hoped that the leak would be fixed.

Can I call Honda Head Office and get a resolution for this or suggest what I can do? I just feel I was sold a defective car to begin with.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
If it's an oil leak the tech would have add dye to pinpoint a location, that takes 2 appointments. From the dye they can make the proper call and fix it at the same time. Could be a valve cover gasket, remain seal or crank seal leak. Hard to tell without adding the dye.

Normally it would be cover under comp or basic, 3/60 or 5/100 - after that there is no warranty. Best suggestion go to another dealership

OP
OP

jetixspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX
Country flag
I took it to the dealership again. They couldn't see any signs of oil leak. They said the area is still clean and the oil level is still good since the last visit. I don't know what is going on with this car and severity of this issue.

The warranty expires soon. I guess If it happens to leak again, I might just take it to my regular garage and pay out of my pocket. or maybe somebody has a suggestion?

I know it is hard to provide an estimate without knowing what is wrong, but does anybody knows how much in average it would cost to do the repair?

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took it to the dealership again. They couldn't see any signs of oil leak. They said the area is still clean and the oil level is still good since the last visit. I don't know what is going on with this car and severity of this issue.

The warranty expires soon. I guess If it happens to leak again, I might just take it to my regular garage and pay out of my pocket. or maybe somebody has a suggestion?

I know it is hard to provide an estimate without knowing what is wrong, but does anybody knows how much in average it would cost to do the repair?

You see oil under your car ?

OP
OP

jetixspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX
Country flag
You see oil under your car ?
No. Last time, my mechanic saw oil marks on the oil pan. According to the dealership invoice from previous visit, the technician noticed oil residues around the front of the engine below the cylinder head and near the front of timing chain cover.

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
-Agree with stockSi regards the dye. Inexpensive to buy and add yourself, the dye kits usually come with a UV torch too so you can trace the source of the leak. This would save you booking dealer visits.
Re: warranty, in the UK if the issue is pre-existing/on-going and the dealer can't fix the issue, the warranty repair holds beyond the warranty expiry regardless of the multitude of repair attempts. If the car is on finance and you've paid more than 50% you can reject the car and hand it back to the dealership and walk away.

OP
OP

jetixspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX
Country flag
-Agree with stockSi regards the dye. Inexpensive to buy and add yourself, the dye kits usually come with a UV torch too so you can trace the source of the leak. This would save you booking dealer visits.
Re: warranty, in the UK if the issue is pre-existing/on-going and the dealer can't fix the issue, the warranty repair holds beyond the warranty expiry regardless of the multitude of repair attempts. If the car is on finance and you've paid more than 50% you can reject the car and hand it back to the dealership and walk away.
I asked the service advisor about the dye, told me that they only add dye for A/C related issues. I am not sure if it just incompetence at this point. I am not an expert on cars and don't have the necessary tools for me to take a look under the car, so I might need to let mechanic deal with it on my next service.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No. Last time, my mechanic saw oil marks on the oil pan. According to the dealership invoice from previous visit, the technician noticed oil residues around the front of the engine below the cylinder head and near the front of timing chain cover.

Si oil leak is fixed !

OP
OP

jetixspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX
Country flag
Si oil leak is fixed !
That's odd. Fixed itself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230754744531?epid=1245046658&hash=item35ba0df8d3:g:e1MAAOSw44BYWmMp

If you aren't mechanically inclinded, it is easy enough to monitor oil useage. Keep an eye on your dipstick. No not that one, the engine dipstick :D
lol. That I can do. It is frustrating to attempt to fix an issue that can barely be seen. I just wanted to get it done under warranty, because it is a defect from the manufacturer. And the dealership can't do anything, if they can't see the problem.

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
It might be something that only leaks when under higher oil pressure when the oil is hot and also thinner, something as simple as a sensor gasket etc.
Try adding the dye, then get booked into a garage so they can investigate.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
I asked the service advisor about the dye, told me that they only add dye for A/C related issues.
The advisor is probably new. Technicians use 2 dyes, one for a/c and one for oil leaks. Two different colours

OP
OP

jetixspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX
Country flag
The advisor is probably new. Technicians use 2 dyes, one for a/c and one for oil leaks. Two different colours
Yeah. I don't know. I feel like I wasted my time going to the dealership. By the time I have the next service, the warranty will be expired. If my regular mechanic sees something, I guess I will let him fix it.

OP
OP

jetixspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX
Country flag
It might be something that only leaks when under higher oil pressure when the oil is hot and also thinner, something as simple as a sensor gasket etc.
Try adding the dye, then get booked into a garage so they can investigate.
They previously replaced the crankshaft seal and resealed the chain cover case, which I don't know how they came up with those assumptions.
Sponsored