Honda civic 2016 - noise over 70 mph

bluecivic2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue Honda civic 2016
Hello Gurus,

I bought a New Honda civic 2016 3 months go. Within a week, I noticed something sounding like a tire noise when I drove above 70 mph. This noise is consistent and does not go away. Took it to the dealer within 10 days and I was told that it will be due to a flat spot in the tires since it was parked for 10 days before I took possession. I was also told the noise will go away as I drive.

Here I am now after 3000 miles and 3 months and noise is still coming consistently. Took it to another mechanic who thinks it could be tire feathering.

I will be taking it back to the dealer since it should be covered under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or heard about it. I want to understand if this is a known issue and how it was resolved.

Thanks much.
Sponsored

heggejake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I'm having the same problem. Sounds more like a rattling problem? I can only hear it when I'm driving over 65 MPH. My car has 2000 miles on it. I'm taking it back to the dealer on Friday. Hoping it get's fixed.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Hello Gurus,

I bought a New Honda civic 2016 3 months go. Within a week, I noticed something sounding like a tire noise when I drove above 70 mph. This noise is consistent and does not go away. Took it to the dealer within 10 days and I was told that it will be due to a flat spot in the tires since it was parked for 10 days before I took possession. I was also told the noise will go away as I drive.

Here I am now after 3000 miles and 3 months and noise is still coming consistently. Took it to another mechanic who thinks it could be tire feathering.

I will be taking it back to the dealer since it should be covered under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or heard about it. I want to understand if this is a known issue and how it was resolved.

Thanks much.
Is it JUST noise? No weird steering, vibrations, car shimmying, etc?
Tire issues will most likely translate directly to the steering wheel, even with the Civic's vague electric power steering, especially at speeds.
10 days of parking should not give any new tire flat spots. My car was parked for a month while I was out of the country and it was fine when I came back.

Also you're going to have to be a bit more detailed with what kind of sound it is. Describing it as tire noise, will probably mean it's tire noise lol. The civic's tires aren't the best to begin with.

Maybe a sound clip/video, or something.

OP
OP

bluecivic2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm having the same problem. Sounds more like a rattling problem? I can only hear it when I'm driving over 65 MPH. My car has 2000 miles on it. I'm taking it back to the dealer on Friday. Hoping it get's fixed.
I hear the noise above 65 mph too but it does not sound like a rattling noise. Please let me know what your dealer diagnosis is. I am taking it to a dealer on thursday and will update this thread, all though I am not confident they will find the issue. Thanks

OP
OP

bluecivic2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it JUST noise? No weird steering, vibrations, car shimmying, etc?
Tire issues will most likely translate directly to the steering wheel, even with the Civic's vague electric power steering, especially at speeds.
10 days of parking should not give any new tire flat spots. My car was parked for a month while I was out of the country and it was fine when I came back.

Also you're going to have to be a bit more detailed with what kind of sound it is. Describing it as tire noise, will probably mean it's tire noise lol. The civic's tires aren't the best to begin with.

Maybe a sound clip/video, or something.
I do not feel any vibration or steering issues. I tried recording the sound through iphone voice memo but cannot hear anything when I play back. What is a good app or method to record this noise - so that I can post it.

Thanks

AegeanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring Aegean Blue Metalic
It's road debris (small pebbles and dirt) stuck inside the back bumper... Just pound your fist lightly on the back bumper (especially on the sides of the car) and you'll be amazed how much crap will fall out!

OP
OP

bluecivic2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear the noise above 65 mph too but it does not sound like a rattling noise. Please let me know what your dealer diagnosis is. I am taking it to a dealer on thursday and will update this thread, all though I am not confident they will find the issue. Thanks
@heggejake Did you get the problem fixed ? If so what was the issue and how was it resolved.
My dealer heard the noise but could not fix it. They just told me other new Civic 2016 EX give the same noise. I disagreed with them. But they have no idea what it is and how to fix it.

croozer2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
My issue seems to be along the same line as yours except I get a more of a rattling sound around 70-80MPH.

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
I had the same problem with a 2016 civic ex. But I only started to hear it recently when I am driving in the country over 75-80 mph.
I called the dealer, they said never mind. I try to decide is it a safety issue or just noise sometimes?

johnyant

First Name
Johny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 4d 1.5
Country flag
It's road debris (small pebbles and dirt) stuck inside the back bumper... Just pound your fist lightly on the back bumper (especially on the sides of the car) and you'll be amazed how much crap will fall out!
I really was amazed! You helped me solve the issue without disassambling parts of the car in order to check! Thanks!!
Sponsored