Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
Does anyone know if Honda care ever cover oil dilution?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Honda just released an update for the software of 2016 up to 2018 models for this. I don’t know if the 2019 and up are included since they updated the software of the newer ones.

And one more thing, oil dilution is common in DI engines.

OP
OP

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
Honda just released an update for the software of 2016 up to 2018 models for this. I don’t know if the 2019 and up are included since they updated the software of the newer ones.

And one more thing, oil dilution is common in DI engines.
Right I know it's common in GDI engines that's why about Honda care. However, I just got the literature confirmation mail today and nothing in there about internal parts just words like material failure. so I called the customer service line and the guy told me only if a Honda representative said it was a material failure would it be covered. so even if its abnormal oil delusion they will probably just say bad maintenance or something and not cover failures due to oil delusion because their motors are too small to high compression.

So I'm wondering if anyone's ever been able to get them to cover problems do to oil delusion?

Because I'm thinking about refunding my warranty because oil delusion was really the only reason why I bought it.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
As long as you do your change oil every 5k miles, you’ll be fine.

I did put an oil catch can which is really beneficial especially in cold winter months when you get more moisture that you don’t want to get into the engine that will even worsen the dilution.

Shifting to 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil will decrease oil dilution since the 0w-20 is too thin.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
For oil consumption/dilution issues we refer to Honda's standard:
1qt of oil consumption for every 1k miles, anything under that is "normal", anything over that is considered excessive. If this sounds like a crazy standard, BMW M models are allowed 2.5qts every 1k miles and are considered "okay". Oil dilution would eventually lead to piston ring wear, which would cause excessive consumption. In the past, this is all covered under powertrain warranty and HondaCare warranty.

So yes, any damage found caused by dilution would be covered. We would just throw a whole new bottom end on the engine and ship it. If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to see any engine failures caused by oil dilution come into the shop. Only one 1.5T that was running very rich, DI pump failure leaking fuel into the cylinder head diluting the oil mix. Car had like 190k on it.

OP
OP

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
For oil consumption/dilution issues we refer to Honda's standard:
1qt of oil consumption for every 1k miles, anything under that is "normal", anything over that is considered excessive. If this sounds like a crazy standard, BMW M models are allowed 2.5qts every 1k miles and are considered "okay". Oil dilution would eventually lead to piston ring wear, which would cause excessive consumption. In the past, this is all covered under powertrain warranty and HondaCare warranty.

So yes, any damage found caused by dilution would be covered. We would just throw a whole new bottom end on the engine and ship it. If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to see any engine failures caused by oil dilution come into the shop. Only one 1.5T that was running very rich, DI pump failure leaking fuel into the cylinder head diluting the oil mix. Car had like 190k on it.
[/QUOTE

What do you mean by we?
And throw a bottom and on the engine and ship it?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
"We" as in the Honda Service Department, the ones fixing your car.

"Throw a bottom end and ship it" implies that we would do an oil consumption test (top off oil, you drive for 1k miles and we compare levels) and if it failed we would pull the engine out and install a new short block assembly. Complete bottom end if it showed signs of cylinder wall scoring/scratches OR if Honda wanted to be a cheap ass we would just throw piston rings in it. Piston ring replacement is what they have done in the past regarding oil consumption/dilution. Previous vehicles with this issue (2008-2012 K series and J series) we would reflash the ecu with new software and install new piston rings.

With these past models that had oil consumption issues, Honda extended the warranty past the original limits to 8yrs from purchase date and either 125k miles or unlimited mile warranty depending on model.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
"We" as in the Honda Service Department, the ones fixing your car.

"Throw a bottom end and ship it" implies that we would do an oil consumption test (top off oil, you drive for 1k miles and we compare levels) and if it failed we would pull the engine out and install a new short block assembly. Complete bottom end if it showed signs of cylinder wall scoring/scratches OR if Honda wanted to be a cheap ass we would just throw piston rings in it. Piston ring replacement is what they have done in the past regarding oil consumption/dilution. Previous vehicles with this issue (2008-2012 K series and J series) we would reflash the ecu with new software and install new piston rings.
Thanks for the clarification man. How often does Honda honestly assess the situations?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification man. How often does Honda honestly assess the situations?
It's all based on failure rates and what is trending. If they only have a handful of issues, they consider it random failures. If they start seeing the demand for a ton of engines it throws a red flag or if someone decides to lawyer up and wins a lawsuit to extend the warranty. Honda is pretty good about warranty and taking care of their customers. Working behind the curtain, I can tell you that if you spend money with the dealerships, they will go above and beyond to keep you as a customer, even if you should fall out of the warranty limits. If you only buy oil changes or we haven't seen you since you purchased the car....eh...we aren't doing any favors if you are out of warranty. Just being honest.

Overall, I would not be concerned about this issue. If you want some peace of mind, change the oil every 3k miles regardless of the maintenance minder percentage. We have a saying in the shop: "oil is cheaper than metal".

OP
OP

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
Right on dude thanks for the heads up. I just wish dealerships weren’t so expensive

OP
OP

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
It's all based on failure rates and what is trending. If they only have a handful of issues, they consider it random failures. If they start seeing the demand for a ton of engines it throws a red flag or if someone decides to lawyer up and wins a lawsuit to extend the warranty. Honda is pretty good about warranty and taking care of their customers. Working behind the curtain, I can tell you that if you spend money with the dealerships, they will go above and beyond to keep you as a customer, even if you should fall out of the warranty limits. If you only buy oil changes or we haven't seen you since you purchased the car....eh...we aren't doing any favors if you are out of warranty. Just being honest.

Overall, I would not be concerned about this issue. If you want some peace of mind, change the oil every 3k miles regardless of the maintenance minder percentage. We have a saying in the shop: "oil is cheaper than metal".
Hey man since work service for Honda how would you go about cleaning the intake valves on a 2020 civic EX?
And how offten would you recommend cleaning them?

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
As long as you do your change oil every 5k miles, you’ll be fine.

I did put an oil catch can which is really beneficial especially in cold winter months when you get more moisture that you don’t want to get into the engine that will even worsen the dilution.

Shifting to 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil will decrease oil dilution since the 0w-20 is too thin.
@DRUSA
So one question;
I'll be driving 3 miles one way to work from home. What should I do for preventing oil dilution. I mean i'm trying to change my oil more often.
my concern mostly for winter season. Should I warm up my engine 5-10 minutes before go to work?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey man since work service for Honda how would you go about cleaning the intake valves on a 2020 civic EX?
And how offten would you recommend cleaning them?
I wouldn't. Having torn apart the new direct injection engines and replaced the direct injection injectors, I haven't seen the need to. The engines that I tear apart that are clean inside all have 3 things in common: top tier gas, frequent/early oil changes, and OEM oil/air intake filters. Clean fluids and air leads to clean and happy engines. I haven't seen any gunked up valve issues with these engines.

Honda doesn't recommend any additives. I don't like using them.
Sponsored