Honda American princple chemist talks about 0w-20 oil

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Came across this video and I think some of you might be interested in hondas decision on using 0W-20 oil. The guy been working at honda for over 25 years by now, graduated from Cal State Long beach with a degree in chemistry.

Sponsored

Last edited:

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
well I can guess he's some corporate zombie sent out to sell the swill..your link is broken btw.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well he went ahead and said it, the principal function is to save energy and concern about turbo applications.

OP
OP
xcoreflyup

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Link is not broken and I wont just assume that he would ignore everything and sell the product. I thought about moving to 0w-30 or even 0w-40 but I would stay with 0w-20 for now.

Last edited:

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Millions of Honda vehicles have been running this oil for a long time, and Honda was increasing use of the oil world wide in more and more vehicles when the video was being made. 20 weights were being used in countries without CAFE standards which shoots down the common argument against 20 weight oils being all about CAFE standards. If there was any concerns they would not have increased applications or made retroactive recommendations on older Honda vehicles, Honda has no benefit or interest in recommending 20 weight oils on older vehicles retroactively if there were any wear concerns as they don't need to meet fuel economy standards on older used vehicles.

I had my Jeep sitting in below freezing temps unused for about 4 weeks. I dreaded starting it up this week at -10 degrees Celsius, but it fired up and sounded just as good as a 70 degree day. I was amazed how smooth the engine sounded. This oil (ow-20) works wonders in cold starts I've never had engines on any vehicles sound so quiet and smooth in freezing temp start up conditions, this where you want to get the most wear protection. You don't need nearly as much protection driving down the highway at 70 mph with a fully warm engine and warm oil sump as you get almost zero engine wear in those conditions. I want the thinnest oil in cold temp starts to reduce the largest amount of wear.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millions of Honda vehicles have been running this oil for a long time, and Honda was increasing use of the oil world wide in more and more vehicles when the video was being made. 20 weights were being used in countries without CAFE standards which shoots down the common argument against 20 weight oils being all about CAFE standards. If there was any concerns they would not have increased applications or made retroactive recommendations on older Honda vehicles, Honda has no benefit or interest in recommending 20 weight oils on older vehicles retroactively if there were any wear concerns as they don't need to meet fuel economy standards on older used vehicles.

I had my Jeep sitting in below freezing temps unused for about 4 weeks. I dreaded starting it up this week at -10 degrees Celsius, but it fired up and sounded just as good as a 70 degree day. I was amazed how smooth the engine sounded. This oil (ow-20) works wonders in cold starts I've never had engines on any vehicles sound so quiet and smooth in freezing temp start up conditions, this where you want to get the most wear protection. You don't need nearly as much protection driving down the highway at 70 mph with a fully warm engine and warm oil sump as you get almost zero engine wear in those conditions. I want the thinnest oil in cold temp starts to reduce the largest amount of wear.

Well, you honestly seem like a nice person but your mixed-up on the super thin motor oil.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not driving my coupe in the snow last couple weeks -5F but the Highlander starts right up on 5/40 Delvac 1 with comprehensive protection through warm up.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
start up is the first second, warm up is the first 300 seconds, that's where the wear happens.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Well, you honestly seem like a nice person but your mixed-up on the super thin motor oil.
That's the beauty of oil arguments, no one is correct, you or I. People should just run what they want based on what they believe, that's why I never recommend oil to anyone, I'll just state what I want to run and my reasons for it. You know from posting on bobistheoilguy.com that the biggest oil nuts in the world still can't provide definitive proof on the thick vs. thin argument. There's no shortage of opinions, but no one can prove anything it seems.

In 2.5 years I should have 200,000 miles on my 2015 Jeep running 0w-20. I'm half way there already and I drive the crap out of my daily with lots of idling and copious use of my remote start with at least 4 cold starts per day. Pretty much all of the things self-professed oil experts say not to avoid. If the vehicle's engine makes it to 200,000 without issue then it and the oil owe me nothing. Even after that my anecdotal evidence won't prove anything and my opinions won't be right or wrong because there is no easy way to compare real world engine wear. Engine manufacturers and oil companies likely have the most reliable test data, but no person on internet forums likely does.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well with 0/20 you may have a slight advantage in #1 of 3 but lose in #2 & #3 of 3..and get a date on that vid, looks to be 40 yrs. old.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
well with 0/20 you may have a slight advantage in #1 of 3 but lose in #2 & #3 of 3..and get a date on that vid, looks to be 40 yrs. old.
21 years old, but the date doesn't matter. But seeing the 0w vs the 5w difference is enough for me because I actually see -35 or colder.
Sponsored