Honda AC Low Pressure Different Plug

fmcs

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2016
Has anyone tried to charge your AC using a redtek kit or any other kit?
Did you guys notice that the universal freon kits don't plug into the 2016 model?

Any adaptors known?

Thank you.
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Why are you attempting to add refrigerant to your A/C system? Is yours not cooling well and your warranty has expired?

The 2016-current Civic uses R-1234yf refrigerant which is far more expensive than the R-134a that was used from 1994-2015. R-1234yf is not commonly available and now requires a license to purchase in cylinders. If you look long enough, you can find cans of it for about $60 each compared to $6 a can for R-134a. R-1234yf systems use different fittings than R-134a systems.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Why are you attempting to add refrigerant to your A/C system? Is yours not cooling well and your warranty has expired?

The 2016-current Civic uses R-1234yf refrigerant which is far more expensive than the R-134a that was used from 1994-2015. R-1234yf is not commonly available and now requires a license to purchase in cylinders. If you look long enough, you can find cans of it for about $60 each compared to $6 a can for R-134a. R-1234yf systems use different fittings than R-134a systems.
refrigerant has shorter warranty terms IIRC. In the books

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
refrigerant has shorter warranty terms IIRC. In the books
My 2006 Honda Accord used R-134a. From its warranty booklet:

"This New Vehicle Limited Warranty Does Not Cover:

Air conditioner refrigerant charge after the first year, unless required as part of a warranty repair."

My 2018 Honda Accord uses R-1234yf. From its warranty booklet:

"Limited Warranty Coverage

Air conditioner refrigerant is covered for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, unless required as part of a warranty repair."

Obviously, Honda has increased the length of the refrigerant warranty over time whether or not it's due to the newer refrigerant.

Last edited:
OP
OP

fmcs

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2016

I was trying to do it myself, but now i understood that its requires a different system. I was used to those redtek jjits, do it yourself, I guess i am stuck to the dealer. Thank you.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Zrogers is correct.

The new refrigerates are expensive and require my EPA license to acquire. I really wish they'd made it illegal to sell these small kits too, stop all this confusion. They don't sell home top off kits for a reason.

I would not use those cheap kits from the parts store. You have no idea what is going on in the system or with pressures.

Need someone with a set of gauges and who can diagnosis. If Honda won't help anybody who can run an A/C machine can do it, damn near plug & play for a technician now a days.

We always use to warranty 3yr/36k any A/C work too. Is Honda really pulling back the warranty?

OP
OP

fmcs

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2016
Zrogers is correct.

The new refrigerates are expensive and require my EPA license to acquire. I really wish they'd made it illegal to sell these small kits too, stop all this confusion. They don't sell home top off kits for a reason.

I would not use those cheap kits from the parts store. You have no idea what is going on in the system or with pressures.

Need someone with a set of gauges and who can diagnosis. If Honda won't help anybody who can run an A/C machine can do it, damn near plug & play for a technician now a days.

We always use to warranty 3yr/36k any A/C work too. Is Honda really pulling back the warranty?
No.. they said it was a rock that hit the condenser.. not covered under warranty.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No.. they said it was a rock that hit the condenser.. not covered under warranty.
Yep.....any physical damage is?
Not Honda's fault, I was speaking to a failure or leak not caused by physical damage.
Honda use to be 3yr/36k on AC, why I asked if they are pulling even the mechanical/warrantable stuff back.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i was VERY happy when i found that my car is still using the good old R134a!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep.....any physical damage is?
Not Honda's fault, I was speaking to a failure or leak not caused by physical damage.
Honda use to be 3yr/36k on AC, why I asked if they are pulling even the mechanical/warrantable stuff back.
The physical components of the A/C system such as the compressor, evaporator, condensor, and lines are covered for 3/36, but the refrigerant itself is only covered for 2/24 unless refrigerant is required as part of a covered repair involving of the components covered for 3/36. In other words, if you had a very slow leak or a leak source that couldn't be identified, Honda will only pay for the cost of refrigerant for 2/24. However, if your engine had to be replaced under warranty and refrigerant had to be recovered and recharged as part of the process, it would be covered.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The physical components of the A/C system such as the compressor, evaporator, condensor, and lines are covered for 3/36, but the refrigerant itself is only covered for 2/24 unless refrigerant is required as part of a covered repair involving of the components covered for 3/36. In other words, if you had a very slow leak or a leak source that couldn't be identified, Honda will only pay for the cost of refrigerant for 2/24. However, if your engine had to be replaced under warranty and refrigerant had to be recovered and recharged as part of the process, it would be covered.
Gotcha!

Appreciate it sir!

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I’m guessing your AC isn’t blowing cold ? If so there can be other reasons for this, clogged condenser or evaporator, defective compressor, issue with the orfice tube, etc. I was a ASE AC tech back in the day, and we would get complaints from customers that their AC wasn’t blowing cold. A lot of times it had to do with the weather being hotter, a car that’s been sitting in the sun will take a much longer time to cool down, plus if you have a dark colored car and no tint on the windows it will take a while for the system to cool the cabin. Stick a thermometer in the cabin vent and set the AC to high with the recirculating on, if it’s blowing under 50 degrees than there’s nothing wrong with it.

R1234yf systems are a new beast, and you need proprietary service connections to fit the car, plus the new rule is R1234yf can’t just be “topped off”. If there’s a leak the leak needs to be repaired and the system needs to be evacuated and recharged.

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
DO NOT use Redtek. It will put hydrocarbons in your AC lines and you will need to get that all evacuated before any Honda dealership will even touch your AC system.
Sponsored