Honda A/C -- Use it or Lose it !!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I know there are already a multitude of threads about the Honda A/C failing, but a very likely reason for this failure is not being talked about very much, and since this may be KEY to the failures so many are having, it seems that it should warrant a new Thread.

It would seem that NOT USING your A/C regularly, is a major reason for seal leaks to develop.

Something to think about, especially during the Winter when you may not turn your A/C on that often, or if you are not using your car at all during the winter season ( R users -- take note)

I must admit I had never considered this, thinking that the less I used the A/C, the longer it would last for .. seems that is the WRONG way to think. :doh:

The most common source of lost refrigerant or oil in a functioning, leak-free system is at the compressor shaft seal.

This is typically the result of cars that aren’t driven on a daily basis and/or experience sporadic use. Shaft seal leaks have been known to develop with periods of inactivity as short as two weeks.

The common result is partial refrigerant loss and/or shaft seal oil leaks. It’s fairly common for someone to install a rebuilt or even new factory style compressor, only to find that the compressor shaft seal is leaking refrigerant or oil. A little-known fact about A/C compressors is that the shaft seal is kept lubricated the entire time the compressor is engaged and running.

Many factory a/c systems lose their charge when the a/c system is not being used.

This happens as an under-lubricated seal around the compressor’s crankshaft dries up and develops a leak that allows for refrigerant and/or oil to escape.
So, maybe a good habit to get into is to run your A/C for a few minutes, EVERY time you start the car, even if you don;t need to cool down the inside of the car.

Also, if not using your car for any length of time, start it and run the A/C every few weeks. Maybe as often as once a week !!

Not only will this help keep the A/C seals lubricated, it will also help keep lubricated many other seals within the engine /transmission system
Sponsored

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I know there are already a multitude of threads about the Honda A/C failing, but a very likely reason for this failure is not being talked about very much, and since this may be KEY to the failures so many are having, it seems that it should warrant a new Thread.

It would seem that NOT USING your A/C regularly, is a major reason for seal leaks to develop.

Something to think about, especially during the Winter when you may not turn your A/C on that often, or if you are not using your car at all during the winter season ( R users -- take note)

I must admit I had never considered this, thinking that the less I used the A/C, the longer it would last for .. seems that is the WRONG way to think. :doh:

So, maybe a good habit to get into is to run your A/C for a few minutes, EVERY time you start the car, even if you don;t need to cool down the inside of the car.

Also, if not using your car for any length of time, start it and run the A/C every few weeks. Maybe as often as once a week !!

Not only will this help keep the A/C seals lubricated, it will also help keep lubricated many other seals within the engine /transmission system
No, the AC is used whether or not the heat or cooling mode is used (on AUTO mode). The AC acts as a dehumidifier in the winter time.
And plus this is an old wives tale, whether its off for a year or not, it will make no difference other than traditional wear-and-tear.

Reactions: jks
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
No, the AC is used whether or not the heat or cooling mode is used (on AUTO mode). The AC acts as a dehumidifier in the winter time.
And plus this is an old wives tale, whether its off for a year or not, it will make no difference other than traditional wear-and-tear.
Well, that might explain why there are a lot of old wives driving around with good, working Air Conditioners, while a lot of the Cool Kids are tearing around in their Civics in cold climates, only to find when summer comes, their A/C is not working.

https://www.classicautoair.com/why-ac-compressor-is-leaking-oil-or-refrigerant/

Last edited:

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I have a 2002 Acura RSX with almost no HFC 134a loss in 17 years. I know this because I recently tried to recharge it and it was not low. Of those 17 years I rarely used the AC for 14 years because I lived in the central coast region of CA and just didn't need it. In Idaho I use AC two or three months of the year.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
You are right Scopesy, I often read that about A/C

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love when there's that one guy or engine that fails and everyone thinks their Civic is faulty all of a sudden.
It's the need to BELONG to a group and SHARE :grouphug:
(Been waiting for an excuse to use that emoji for months !!)

However, I have no doubt that a lot of people with the higher pressure R1234yf refrigerant A/Cs , are having issues with leaking seals, and loss of refrigerant.

The good news, unlike the old (lower Pressure) R12 that is now quite restricted (and EXPENSIVE) , you can easily a lot cost, get the Gauges and Refrigerant (in small quantities) to be able to keep your system "Topped up" with R1234yf ... just like you do with the tires !.

[RANT]

If you have read ANY of my posts here, you will know I am a firm believer in avoiding the Dealer's "UN-TRAINED" Techs at all cost.
( If you want a job done right, do it yourself etc etc )

I could compare them to drug dealers ( don't Hate me for that) -- once they get your car HOOKED on their service, it keeps wanting (NEEDING) to go back for more.

[/RANT]

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's the need to BELONG to a group and SHARE :grouphug:
(Been waiting for an excuse to use that emoji for months !!)

However, I have no doubt that a lot of people with the higher pressure R1234yf refrigerant A/Cs , are having issues with leaking seals, and loss of refrigerant.

The good news, unlike the old (lower Pressure) R12 that is now quite restricted (and EXPENSIVE) , you can easily a lot cost, get the Gauges and Refrigerant (in small quantities) to be able to keep your system "Topped up" with R1234yf ... just like you do with the tires !.

[RANT]

If you have read ANY of my posts here, you will know I am a firm believer in avoiding the Dealer's "UN-TRAINED" Techs at all cost.
( If you want a job done right, do it yourself etc etc )

I could compare them to drug dealers ( don't Hate me for that) -- once they get your car HOOKED on their service, it keeps wanting (NEEDING) to go back for more.

[/RANT]
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.
We bought our Sienna brand new at 0 miles and have been maintaining it only by the dealer for up until 120k miles. It is still running like a clock and has yet to have any major failures (fingers crossed), apart from--quite coincidentally--an AC leak. I have solved that problem by topping it with an AC topoff bottle mixed with a leak sealer which has not had any problem for the past 2 years. Very happy with that car.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
OK, correct me if I am wrong here. I leave it on all the time. In the winter it prevents the windows from fogging up. Running it with heat no issue. same as other cars. Turn on A/C and no fog. Still get plenty of heat. Is this wrong?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
OK, correct me if I am wrong here. I leave it on all the time. In the winter it prevents the windows from fogging up. Running it with heat no issue. same as other cars. Turn on A/C and no fog. Still get plenty of heat. Is this wrong?
No, you are not wrong. That is the way the engineers designed it to work. Unfortunately, the A/C compressor will "steal" power from your engine all the time. Most noticeably during sporty accelerations. So people turn the A/C compressor off to make sure all of the power goes to the launch. The question becomes if you leave it off except for summer cruising, does it shorten your A/C's life.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't be sorry -- of course you can disagree with me, and I really appreciate the fact you outlined in detail why, rather than t just saying BS.

You would appear to be lucky, you have found a decent Dealer who is doing good for you.

Amazed to hear that the "leak sealer" is working after 2 years, and has not cause any other issues. Good for you fixing that yourself. When it leaked refrigerant, did it leak any oil as well ? After topping back up, oil level may be low ???
It's the oil that keeps the seals happy and stops them drying out and wearing.

---------

I am very happy with the 2018 Si Car (#2), the first one had to go back to my Local Dealer because they tried to pull a fast one on us, and sell us a car that they knew had some major issues, that they tried to cover up.

I actually enjoy working on cars-- have done so all my life, and I know if I do work on my car, it is done correctly, and I only have myself to blame if it is not done correctly.

I despise the whole Dealer setup, where they try to convince you that unless they work on your car, there is no warranty, charge you ridiculous rates (If they can get away with it), and you never who is actually working on your car, if they have a clue what they are really doing, and if they are going to either mess up the service work, or damage your car is some way, that the dealer will then claim is not their responsibility.

Yes, If I have a major warranty issue, I will of course find an Authorized Honda service facility to do the warranty work, but for the day to day stuff, I just PREFER to do it myself, know it is done to my standards, and enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself.

In past years I have always maintained my cars myself. From simple oil changes, to major work, like Clutch replacements and Engine rebuilds.

I do appreciate that the modern car is highly complex, and especially the electronics may need specialized equipment and trained techs to work on it. In that case, I will be ready to let them work on my car.

My spring project is to find another Dealer of Auto shop to work on my Si if I need that, and to find someone I am happy with BEFORE I have an issue that needs immediate work.

I appreciate that some just do not want to get into car maintenance themselves, and choose just to pay someone else to take care of it. Each to their own :)

I must be doing something right, my other "OLDER" work car is a 1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon, which I had from new, and have always done all the service & maintenance work on it myself. With much simpler electronics & mechanicals, there is nothing I cannot service and maintain on that car, and it is still going strong .. not many still are about on the roads.. been YEARS since I last saw one !!

And the aftermarket Android Head Unit I fitted last year to the Maxima, and it's Audio system, is so superior to the Honda "Premium Audio" , plus I can install whatever APPS I want on it ..:thumbsup:

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, you are not wrong. That is the way the engineers designed it to work. Unfortunately, the A/C compressor will "steal" power from your engine all the time. Most noticeably during sporty accelerations. So people turn the A/C compressor off to make sure all of the power goes to the launch. The question becomes if you leave it off except for summer cruising, does it shorten your A/C's life.
More to the point, does NOT using it during the winter to clear the Windscreen, shorten the Life of both the Car & You, when you cannot see where you are going..:drive:

I also maintain, that using the AC regularly, so that the seals are kept lubricated and do not dry out, will make the Compressor last longer than non-use for long periods of time.

Unless you are at a track, if you are that worried about the Compressor stealing power from the engine (which it obviously does) maybe you just need a Bigger Engine, or a higher HP car ... but then you will still want more !!!

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
before i bought my 2018 civic i had an 05, i bought it brand new in 05, i live in cold climate and never turned the AC on all winter long,

the AC in that car was still working 100% fine when i sold the car 6 months ago, it had never once broke down or required any servicing
Maybe they don't build them now like they use to ???