Honda 2017 boot sequence changed by sales in developers mode. Service is a Joke! Incompetents is viral i guess through the whole service department.

EPODZ

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda accord exl
Country flag
my brother purchased us a vehicle for work that became my personal vehicle when he did the sales man said ill make the system sound awesome opened developers mode then went into another screen holding menu then on his way backing out he some how changed the boot sequence because now my system shows Honda then LCD screens go blank this happened two months ago.
1. I brought car in they said for 180.00 we can diagnose issue......I said dont bother I have already done that I brought vehicle to several places all with 3000.00 units that work on just honda they said they could see the the ios but everything is turned off blue tooth usb I mean everything no way to access they could reinstall ios for several hundred but I said no ill just bring it to honda they said they could not help. so I went outside and opened the roof a tech stopped and said oh that happens all the time just pull negitive and positive terminals and place them together for 5 min so i left it for 20 min ..nothing got fixed started car Honda symbol.
2. I called corporate they said they dont have techs that can fix these radio's and lcd screens and im SOL disconnected on me.
3. I have pulled fuses I have left the bat terms off all night now my alarm does not even work reconnected jumped in and stared car no problem turn cams work on top backup cam works thats it.
4.tried power button nothing ..pressed all buttons at same time nothing help please help...

closing ..I find it impossible that there is a self destruct button built in so my 25 years of IT experience comes into play what did he change the boot sequence am i going to have to uninstal the deck open it and pull the timex battery or fuse inside deck that has to hold the cache?????
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
This story is missing something. Why didn't you go back immediately when you noticed something was wrong with the radio...? From the sounds of it, the next time you started the car after driving off the lot it would have been dead.

Car could still be under the 3 yr/36k mile warranty. Does it have hondacare?

Might be too late now, but check your local laws. CA requires dealership used cars to be sold with a 30 day/1k mile warranty.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is the subforum for Civic Type R engines and bolt-ons. Should look here instead: https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/audio-nav-electronics.13/

That being said, you can't just change the boot sequence by enabling developer mode on the head unit. There's also no fuse or anything for you to pull to reset anything. Sounds like your headunit just flat out died.

It's a super old, shitty Android head unit that nobody at any Honda dealership can fix or knows the first thing about besides resetting TPMS. They pretty much just replace the whole unit if something goes wrong.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
This is the subforum for Civic Type R engines and bolt-ons. Should look here instead: https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/audio-nav-electronics.13/

That being said, you can't just change the boot sequence by enabling developer mode on the head unit. There's also no fuse or anything for you to pull to reset anything. Sounds like your headunit just flat out died.

It's a super old, shitty Android head unit that nobody at any Honda dealership can fix or knows the first thing about besides resetting TPMS. They pretty much just replace the whole unit if something goes wrong.
i looked into it and you can change the boot mode in Developer mode if you happen to navigate to that menu. There are a few posts about it on XDA. But there is no resolution that anyone has found. I suspect you'd have to open it up and reflash the firmware with JTAG or something but no one is going to go through that process.

I think OP or his bro did it accidentally because they would have noticed it being broken immediately and the first reasonable thing is to go back to the dealer..not go back and forth for 2 months with the dealer.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i looked into it and you can change the boot mode in Developer mode if you happen to navigate to that menu. There are a few posts about it on XDA. But there is no resolution that anyone has found. I suspect you'd have to open it up and reflash the firmware with JTAG or something but no one is going to go through that process.
Well I learnt something then. When I was navigating around all the hidden menus in the head unit I didn't ever find anything about the bootloader. Surprised they show that, but then again it's a super old version of Android.

If that's the case, OP is pretty much screwed. :(

I know a fair bit about Android and jailbreaking and have wanted to go down the rabbit hole of our head units, but I can't live without my music while driving. :p
Sponsored