FC1_BUILTBOOST

First Name
Reuben Zuev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
So what type of oil should I be running in my SI what you guys suggest with all these Honda Dilution issues ? Been Using Honda Motor Oil Just Did My Second Oil Change Last Night.
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
So what type of oil should I be running in my SI what you guys suggest with all these Honda Dilution issues ? Been Using Honda Motor Oil Just Did My Second Oil Change Last Night.
That’s a loaded question! Lol. Many, many, many threads on this topic.

I’m Currently running Amsoil SS 0w/20. I don’t however, nor did I ever have any issues with oil dilution , even before the recall, with Honda oil.

OP
OP
FC1_BUILTBOOST

FC1_BUILTBOOST

First Name
Reuben Zuev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
See maybe the problem is that I’ve always been a warm up your car all the way before you drive type of person lol I’ve never owned a newer car before so now for the first time I hear that warming up these DI Engines is a NoNo!!
That’s a loaded question! Lol. Many, many, many threads on this topic.

I’m Currently running Amsoil SS 0w/20. I don’t however, nor did I ever have any issues with oil dilution , even before the recall, with Honda oil.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
See maybe the problem is that I’ve always been a warm up your car all the way before you drive type of person lol I’ve never owned a newer car before so now for the first time I hear that warming up these DI Engines is a NoNo!!
Ya, no.... do not let the car sit idling to warm up. 30secs is enough and then gentle driving until ALL the fluids have some heat in them. A lot of folks don’t realize that the transmission, wheel bearings, etc need a warm up as well.

OP
OP
FC1_BUILTBOOST

FC1_BUILTBOOST

First Name
Reuben Zuev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Ya, no.... do not let the car sit idling to warm up. 30secs is enough and then gentle driving until ALL the fluids have some heat in them. A lot of folks don’t realize that the transmission, wheel bearings, etc need a warm up as well.
Sounds like this will be my new Habit of driving !

Last edited:

OP
OP
FC1_BUILTBOOST

FC1_BUILTBOOST

First Name
Reuben Zuev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Does this also pertain to cold frosty winter Seasons ?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Does this also pertain to cold frosty winter Seasons ?
Even more so. Gets pretty cold up here in the great white north... I’ve not had any issues.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Changing the oil when recommended, and checking the oil level regularly, is all you really need to do. For extra peace of mind, you can always step up to a full synthetic.

Contrary to popular opinion, oil dilution in DI powertrains is not a design flaw. It is a known and manageable side effect of direct injection technology. It is mitigated through improvements in oil technology, among other things.

Honda's issue in earlier iterations of its 1.5T is that it did not allow the oil to reach operating temps soon enough in the drive cycle, where excess fuel/condensation could simply be evaporated in the sump. In rare circumstances over time, in extremely cold climates, oil level could potentially rise outside of Honda's intended operational range. That is why a simple software fix, limiting operation of the heater and related accessories, was instrumental in correcting these fringe scenarios. A small rise in diluted oil, say 2-3 mm above the limit, has not shown to increase wear metal rates in the oil analysis readouts we've collected so far.

This video describes the condition perfectly. Start at 1:28:

Last edited:

Jt_theory

CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ABM Civic Type R
Country flag
:lol: I love the guy's accent when he's voicing the concerned user. Love the Aussies. I play PC games with them hehe. But an otherwise good and informative video :headbang:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
This is how much excess oil I just sucked out of my crankcase. This is a 1L bottle. The white on the surface of oil is just some odd looking reflection. The oil looks dark in the bottle, as Mobil 1 will, but it looks quite clear on the dipstick.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda’s Oil Dilution Issue B1C70FB8-21AC-4232-AB69-7411C89EE200

This is exactly a fortnight or 293 miles worth of oil dilution since the oil change. The exact corrected estimate (taking into account a slight difference between the original fill level and final level after sucking out), is just about 300 cc or almost 1/3 qt excess oil which is equivalent to about 6 mm oil level rise (each millimeter on the dipstick is roughly 50 cc of oil.)

So why so much in so litle time, during the hottest weather of the year with temperatures exceeding 90 F? And I don't do any trips that wouldn't allow the engine to fully warm up?

I have to assume it's because during these two weeks I had the compressor replaced by dealer. I imagine they idle the engine perhaps for hours as they refill and test it.

Also, the vapor pressure of the fuel in oil will increase with it's concentration. So the more diluted the oil, the faster it will evaporate, until the evaporation rate equals the dilution rate and the process should should stop at some level.

Last edited:

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
This is how much excess oil I just sucked out of my crankcase. This is a 1L bottle. The white on the surface of oil is just some odd looking reflection. The oil looks dark in the bottle, as Mobil 1 will, but it looks quite clear on the dipstick.

B1C70FB8-21AC-4232-AB69-7411C89EE200.jpeg

This is exactly a fortnight or 293 miles worth of oil dilution since the oil change. The exact corrected estimate (taking into account a slight difference between the original fill level and final level after sucking out), is just about 300 cc or almost 1/3 qt excess oil which is equivalent to about 6 mm oil level rise (each milimeter on the dipstick is roughly 50 cc of oil.)

So why so much in so litle time, during the hottest weather of the year with temperatures exceeding 90 F? And I don't do any trips that wouldn't allow the engine to fully warm up?

I have to assume it's because during these two weeks I had the compressor replaced by dealer. I imagine they idle the engine perhaps for hours as they refill and test it.

Also, the vapor pressure of the fuel in oil will increase with it's concentration. So the more diluted the oil, the faster it will evaporate, until the evaporation rate equals the dilution rate and the process should should stop at some level.
Who changed your oil?

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag

This is exactly a fortnight or 293 miles worth of oil dilution since the oil change. The exact corrected estimate (taking into account a slight difference between the original fill level and final level after sucking out), is just about 300 cc or almost 1/3 qt excess oil which is equivalent to about 6 mm oil level rise (each milimeter on the dipstick is roughly 50 cc of oil.)

But did you notice oild dilution before that too? That is just somehow way too much Idling or not.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I changed my oil.

Yes, I always had oil dilution, just not at this rate. This is quite fast.
I'm staring to think that there is some problem with the injectors too in these engines, spray pattern maybe under certain circumstances. Some injectors might not atomize the gasoline properly or spray more on the walls than intended.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
I changed my oil.

Yes, I always had oil dilution, just not at this rate. This is quite fast.
Do you have a picture of dipstick after changing and then before siphoning some out? Any oil analyses done?
Sponsored