Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
KTuner V2? Welcome to the dark side!!! Lol

Jokes aside, would be interested to know the reason for the potential switch? Had mulled over the two at the beginning and went with KTuner based on its overall popularity (at least here in the forums) and Vit's recommendation since I was after a custom tune from him.
I guess I'm frustrated that the Hondata CVT tunes don't have any quick adjustments for things like better throttle response, earlier spool and adjustable boost ramp. Those seem to give Ktuner an advantage in driveability.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
I guess I'm frustrated that the Hondata CVT tunes don't have any quick adjustments for things like better throttle response, earlier spool and adjustable boist ramp. Those give Ktuner an advantage in driveability.
Don't be frustrated. There's something you can do about it. Trade up. You will lose some $ in the process but if it is driveability you are after, you should get it by the boot loads with KTuner.

I don't believe Hondata Flashpro is a bad product, it's just different philosophies adopted by Hondata and KTuner for their products.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK... yes, the CARB Flashpro is limited but does allow you to adjust the boost and torque limits. So, I played around a bit today with a new custom tune. I upped the boost slightly by 2.5% at 2750rpm and 3000rpm and raised the torque limit there to 255nm. I raised it to 260nm at 3500 rpm. Those differences down low are really small but I wanted to see if it helped. I then upped the boost about 5% from 3500rpm up. I upped the torque limit to 272nm at 4000rpm and above.

I uploaded my new tune creation and drove it. I have to say even though I didn't tweak it much, I noticed a positive difference compared to the base +6. Because of the CVT, I really don't want to push the tune too much. My datalog showed me hitting around 22psi at WOT consistently and peaking as high as 23psi on one pull. That's on 93 octane with 10% ethanol. Compare that to the 20psi or so I get at WOT with the base +6.

I'm going to go with this new "+7.5" setup for a while on my everyday commutes and see how it does and see how it affects mpg too. So far I give it a thumbs up.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your +7.5 is a bargain... as you're getting 3 more pounds (23 vs 20) than the +6. I'm not sure how that math works out but hey... :thumbsup: (I guess it's the torque limit... I don't see that one on my Ktuner)

I do think the ramp up probably lets the car have a more linear feel of more and more power in the midrange, rather than a spike that then starts dropping which would otherwise make it feel a bit more flat in comparison.

We're getting into the hottest part of the year now. The rising IATs you had with K.control climbing on an extended run may not affect you once we hit the fall. When I hit the winter here in GA, I'm planning on doing some data logging and doing a 'cold tune' and putting more boost over 4000 RPM if IATs play nice. Our friends at Ktuner/Hondata had to give us year round good tunes... but I've been pretty surprised at how well even a 23# basemap does with regard to IATs and, in turn K.control. I was at ~85F when I did my runs and had to thrash it just to get it to move and then only got to .58.

I guess we could all get bigger intercoolers if we're aiming to max out our present turbos and not wanting to replace them... but I'd opt for a flex fuel kit first.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really like this tune I did. Drove on my normal commute today and knock control never got above 54. IAT's were barely 15 above ambient. And fuel trims were within + or - 4. And I got 45 mpg. It's a keeper.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to take advantage of Hondata mode and ran the stock tune with the Econ button. Averaged around 70mph on the highway with a few miles of city stop and go mixed in. Got a solid 45.8 mpg.

tiji12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex-t 2016
I made another map for my sedan ext and the result is a very smooth power delivery .
I adjust the boost number to keep 220 lb-ft as long as I can without going over that torque level.
I use the two dyno sheet from hondata for the +6 and +9 psi map and match the number of the +9 map where the +6 fall under 220 lb-ft.
I do some math to have the right boost where the +6 is under 220lb-ft ans the +9 over 220 lb-ft.
The result is a super linear power band.
I did not ajust the torque limit over 250 since the car will not reach it anyway.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a real world example of how well this tune works. I was doing 65mph on the highway and an older full size Mercury was tailgating me. Gave it a little gas and was doing 75 but he continued to tailgate me. So I said "f" it. Gave it about 3/4 throttle and I was doing 106 mph literally in a flash and he was just an embarrassed little speck in the distance. :) After that, I slowed down and let him play catch up.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So this happened this morning on an empty highway at 6 AM...

A newish GTI was tailgaiting me at 65mph. I mean right on my ass. I decided to gun it and I think I surprised him with how quick my car was. I slowed down and he caught up. Then he gunned it and I did the same. I was slightly ahead and then had to slow down for my exit. Pretty impressive that my "econocar" Civic sedan with a CVT was as fast or faster than a GTI that has nearly 260 lb/ft of torque.

Last edited:

KMui

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
@gtman could you upload your +7.5 v2.0 tune here? or whatever is your most updated one? I'd like to try it out. Currently on the +6 and it's great but I'm always on the prowl to see if I can get a little bit more power without killing my CVT!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I mentioned what I basically adjusted in an earlier post. Since it's pushing more than the +6, I think it's up to people to try their own version. It's all done at your own risk. I can't guarantee the safety of this tune although it's only a small bump above the +6.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While I'm no longer a big fan of Hondata due to lack of promised CVT updates and mediocre customer support, I can't complain about the MPG's when driving normally. Here's todays commute in 60/40 highway/city driving. Temps around 90 degrees... AC off.

Honda Civic 10th gen Homemade Hondata "+7.5" tune for the CVT rps20180806_134051

Higher number is my commute to work which is a bit downhill. Lower number is my going home uphill commute.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I feel ripped off by the never improved or updated CARB Flashpro, I like my tune. Today I stuck it in Hondata eco mode and got 45mpg with the A/C on. Too bad the CARB is so basic and limited though. It's not worth the money Hondata charges.
Sponsored