Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!

I am fanatical about detailing my car but every day it seems like I see a new defect or chip in the paint. The worst.
Sponsored

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!

I am fanatical about detailing my car but every day it seems like I see a new defect or chip in the paint. The worst.
Man ik how u feel I try not to pay to much attention because I always find more chips or dents it doesn’t stop ??‍♂

Amen111

First Name
MOhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 lx
Country flag
DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!

I'm planning to do full painting to recover my 2017 civic while my pilot 2009 is still great. There is something wrong of course.

Jmeix

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
The best thing you could do with these soft paints is skip the waxes and sealants. Constantly applying them will add friction which results in scratching your paint. Go with a ceramic coating and forget about it all. Still have to wash your car but maintenance will be a breeze.

Before I purchased my 2020 Si I had a 2017 lx where I ended up puting a ceramic coating on it and it helped a TON with washing and keeping the paint clean. The less we touch these cars the better off we are.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The best thing you could do with these soft paints is skip the waxes and sealants.

Constantly applying them will add friction which results in scratching your paint. Go with a ceramic coating and forget about it all. The less we touch these cars the better off we are.
Now ya tell me. :doh:

Seriously though, most manufacturers are using a softer paint these days for environmental reasons, right? Yet, this is by far the worst paint of any car I've owned. EVER. The paint on my Forte SX sedan and Elantra GT hatch were better by far, believe it or not.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
Don't try to polish that paint too hard or you will discover the next unpleasant surprise. The sheet metal, if you can call it that, is about as thick as tinfoil. My car dents if you look at it the wrong way.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't try to polish that paint too hard or you will discover the next unpleasant surprise. The sheet metal, if you can call it that, is about as thick as tinfoil. My car dents if you look at it the wrong way.
No doubt. The back middle part of hood flexes and makes loud popping sounds with just the light pressure of applying wax.

Let's be honest here. These cars look good, have decent power and handle very well. But the crap paint, thin sheet metal, rattles, lousy infotainment, weak halogen headlights, big panel gaps, easily chipped windshields etc. are annoying traits.

Last edited:

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The best thing you could do with these soft paints is skip the waxes and sealants. Constantly applying them will add friction which results in scratching your paint. Go with a ceramic coating and forget about it all. Still have to wash your car but maintenance will be a breeze.

Before I purchased my 2020 Si I had a 2017 lx where I ended up puting a ceramic coating on it and it helped a TON with washing and keeping the paint clean. The less we touch these cars the better off we are.
I've been saving up for a ceramic coating. Gonna run me $1000 (at a discount). My wife thinks I'm exaggerating when I tell her it's a necessary expense for this car. Hopefully this post will convince her.

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been saving up for a ceramic coating. Gonna run me $1000 (at a discount). My wife thinks I'm exaggerating when I tell her it's a necessary expense for this car. Hopefully this post will convince her.
My wife just read this thread. She's coming around. Thanks OP!

hobbydad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 fk8
Country flag
Our ‘21 CTR needed 3 step paint correction straight off the showroom floor. Scratches and swirls everywhere. Had that done along with ceramic coating for $2k+ out of pocket. Still not 100% but damn close. Some of the scratches where too deep to correct. Our dealer did reimburse us half the cost though.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a ceramic coating right out of the dealership. I did this to save my sanity because I am OCD with my paint. I also got a paint correction before and man, right from dealership these cars are full of scratches and blemishes.

My other family car is a 2018 RAV4. We are a major Toyota family and their paint has always been thick and beautiful. The 2020 paints though even for Toyota have decreased in quality.

My Si also has two dents that appeared all on their own on the passenger rear door. Very odd. I have come to terms with just accepting they are there.
The only think I can complain about my 2019 Si is the paint and thin metal. Otherwise I love my car.

sguler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Sport Plus
Country flag
I just got a 2018 model hatch with just 10K miles on it. oh man, you should see the scrathes, rock chips. you name it.

since I have a kid and we will use stroller and car seat. l`ll probably damage more. you can try to get clear coat, but they are expensive, I wonder it is worth on an economy car.

hobbydad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 fk8
Country flag
I will say that the Crystal Black Pearl is beautiful when it’s done right. Now that the car is polished and coated it looks amazing.

Jmeix

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
Uhh I don't know about not polishing these cars... as I have polished mine twice and had no issues at all. Car brite used to make this stuff called liquid 2000 which is 2000 sand paper but in liquid form and I have used that on some of the deeper scratches with no problems. Now the thin metal is a different story, this car does dent super easily.

Jmeix

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
1k for a ceramic coating? Nah man, I would do it my self. I did it my self on the last civic I owned and had no issues at all. Strip washed, clay bar, polished, IPA wipe, and then put the ceramic coating on. I used Avalon King ceramic coating and it was super easy to apply and remove. There are many good consumer grade ceramics that you can use. But 1k for someone to do it, it better be a 3 stage paint protection, and a professional ceramic coating like Crystal Serum Ultra.
Sponsored