Holy crap the paint on these cars SUCKS

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Accord 5MT; 2020 Civic Sport Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Was washing the car today and unfortunately the hose caught the car a bit. It didn’t even hit the car that hard and it immediately scratched the paint.

What kind of soft, crappy paint, is this!? I’ve had the hose accidentally catch other cars I’ve owned, including my Accord, and none of them have ever scratched that easily.

I guess no real point to this post other than to rant about the completely garbage paint.

Honda Civic 10th gen Holy crap the paint on these cars SUCKS 5D995C8B-794C-4884-A569-E01E0DD6EBDD
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Welcome to the club. You could probably polish it out a little bit, but it looks pretty deep. Don’t go too crazy with a polisher and heavy compound. You don’t want to burn through the already thin clear.

I would just live with whatever is left after 5 or 6 light passes. You’ll have way more chips scratches and dings to come. Hurts on a brand new car, but you’ll stop caring eventually.

Picture may be making it look worse than it actually is. Maybe it’ll clean up nicely

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When I was removing my roof spoiler, my hand slipped and my fingernail took a small chunk of paint off the edge of the roof. Worst paint ever.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I recently painted my front bumper with just rattle cans in my garage, and it came out better than the OEM. The paint from the factory doesn’t seem to have much clear coat at all. It’s almost as bad as the paint that was on my 2016 RAV4. You couldn’t look at that shit without it peeling off.

After 24k miles my hood looks like trash. Next year I plan to get the whole car wrapped. Anyone buying a Civic should probably get a clear wrap right after they drive it off the lot.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I recently painted my front bumper with just rattle cans in my garage, and it came out better than the OEM. The paint from the factory doesn’t seem to have much clear coat at all. It’s almost as bad as the paint that was on my 2016 RAV4. You couldn’t look at that shit without it peeling off.

After 24k miles my hood looks like trash. Next year I plan to get the whole car wrapped. Anyone buying a Civic should probably get a clear wrap right after they drive it off the lot.
Aint worth the cost unless you really love the car and intend to drive it forever.

If window tint didn’t make the car look better and save the interior from degrading long term, then that would be a hard pill to swallow as well. Good tint costs 400-500$ these days.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I wonder if this paint has a tendency to absorb water over time and soften from it, much more than non-water based paints would, in particular when the car is parked outside all the time.
Or is it because of errors in the (complex) painting process that happen on Mondays and Fridays at different plants. That certainly has been the case, at least when the paint is just peeling locally.

I'm just curious why I don't have any paint complaints or scratches or chips after almost 3 years (only 16 + kmiles though).

I washed my car a couple of times in a self-service wash where I use the brush that people wash muddy trucks with and I banged the car many times with the hose, still no problem.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just curious why I don't have any paint complaints or scratches or chips after almost 3 years (only 16 + kmiles though).
It's a miracle. Maybe you got one of the few cars with some clearcoat. :cool:

AzGRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep. The first week I went to wash it the paint came off around the rear "h" badge on my 2019 Took it into the dealer and the service manager stated that the last 5 years Honda's paint has been bad and the company is aware. Honda stands behind that it is not a "defect" of the paint, so in conclusion, working as intended. :mad: The other thing is that the white paint stains really bad from just typical road grime.

Liberal

First Name
Liberal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
My Civic has a bunch of spots where the paints been chipped by rocks ??‍♂ my brother told me that's one knock on Honda, cheap paint.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can only see that older hondas seem to be devoid of paint. Especially on the roof, hood, and trunk! I have an old Odyssey too and the paint peeled off that pretty badly.

Hoping the wrap and cc help keep the uv down to save my '20 genx!

My black '17 hatch picked up deep scratches from a microfiber cloth! A freaking cloth! Really??!!

Edit: And is a big reason why I didn't bother with the Type R... Same paint job...

Amen111

First Name
MOhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 lx
Country flag
I have many spot on my Civic 2017 . I'm living in Kuwait which is a hot country . I had reported it and still waiting for reply.

This picture after polishing. The spots are deep not on the surface.
Honda Civic 10th gen Holy crap the paint on these cars SUCKS 20201013_162445

RMR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport/2018 Honda Odyssey Elite/2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
It's a Honda thing. Paint is so thin. We've owned 10 Honda/Acura vehicles since 2005 and rock chips and small scratches accumulate on all of them far more than any other brands we've owned. It's got to be a way that Honda keeps costs down.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was a huge complaint when I had my Civic. My Mazda doesn’t seem to have that kind of paint. I’ve washed it and it seems more durable than the Civics. Unfortunately Honda seems to be among the worst when it comes to the paint on cars.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Yup that’s one of many things that suck about these cars