First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sorry, but it is. The datalogs don't have super high resolution and can easily miss the split second that the BOV causes the engine to go rich.

It's a really basic concept that doesn't even merit debate or need datalogs to prove/disprove. The ECU measures air at the intake. The BOV lets air out after the intake and before the cylinders. The ECU, not knowing any better, injects the amount of fuel into the cylinders that would match with the amount of air at the intake. You have now introduced richness, which the ECU will rapidly attempt to correct for, even potentially causing a lean scenario with how badly this ECU controls feedback.

Know that I'm not here to tell you you're wrong and your part is bad or you're dumb for running it or anything like that. Feel free to run the part all day, feel free to tell others to run it because it sounds awesome. But the fact of the matter is, by definition, this thing makes the air fuel ratio go rich. The long term effects of this are unknown and there are no short term effects, but it's still one way or the other, no matter how you slice or dice it, messing with the airflow metering on a MAF-tuned ECU that needs perfect airflow metering more than any other MAF-tuned ECU.
I have the logs and compared them to logs of my car without the bov and there was nothing different. It wasn’t running rich
Sponsored

Last edited:

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have the logs and compared them to logs of my car without the bov and there was nothing different. It wasn’t running rich
Even on throttle let off? That's where the AFR will nosedive. I wouldn't say it makes it "run" rich, just when you let off throttle the ECU will think the air is the same measurement coming from the MAF and give you more fuel than you need for a split second

I'D be interested in seeing a log of this

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even on throttle let off? That's where the AFR will nosedive. I wouldn't say it makes it "run" rich, just when you let off throttle the ECU will think the air is the same measurement coming from the MAF and give you more fuel than you need for a split second

I'D be interested in seeing a log of this
Yes even when I let the throttle off. Why would the ecu dump fuel when letting throttle off. I've posted the logs either here and/or in my other post about me making 400lbs of torque...once I posted it...people didn't have much to say.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes even when I let the throttle off. Why would the ecu dump fuel when letting throttle off. I've posted the logs either here and/or in my other post about me making 400lbs of torque...once I posted it...people didn't have much to say.
  1. ECU measures air at MAF
  2. BOV, after the MAF, removes air from the intake tract without telling ECU
  3. ECU tells injectors/pump to inject the amount of fuel that would match step #1
  4. There is now an improper air fuel ratio

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  3. ECU tells injectors/pump to inject the amount of fuel that would match step #1
is this an example of fuel being dumped/running rich upon shift?

Honda Civic 10th gen HKS SQIV BOV BOVsc

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
also, I'm not certain...but can you tell me where the MAF is at on this car?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
is this an example of fuel being dumped/running rich upon shift?

BOVsc.jpg
You don't have any of the fuel parameters showing except A/F. I'd need to see A/F CMD, S.TRIM, DIFP, DIFPCMD, INJ, and TPedal too to determine if something was actually off. Or you could just post the log.

the datalogs are not high enough resolution to see this most of the time anyways

also, I'm not certain...but can you tell me where the MAF is at on this car?
It's directly after the intake, before the inlet pipe and all the vacuum hoses.
Honda Civic 10th gen HKS SQIV BOV 1600349370752

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't have any of the fuel parameters showing except A/F. I'd need to see A/F CMD, S.TRIM, DIFP, DIFPCMD, INJ, and TPedal too to determine if something was actually off. Or you could just post the log.

the datalogs are not high enough resolution to see this most of the time anyways

It's directly after the intake, before the inlet pipe and all the vacuum hoses.
1600349370752.png
okay, I'll try later.

I have no reason to hide anything of course. If you're right, I'll admit it...I just haven't been able to reveal anything lol.

I'll try changing my settings and post another pic

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have no reason to hide anything of course. If you're right, I'll admit it...I just haven't been able to reveal anything lol.
I fully expect to see nothing in the datalogs. They don't have high enough resolution. If someone with a MoTeC with level 2 logging had a BOV, they'd be able to show it but they'd probably also be on a speed density tune at that point.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I fully expect to see nothing in the datalogs. They don't have high enough resolution. If someone with a MoTeC with level 2 logging had a BOV, they'd be able to show it but they'd probably also be on a speed density tune at that point.
Ah so its not worth it then lol. Well if I ever ow my motor or have issues I'll post up.

Also that screen cap was without a bov...I couldn't find my other data logs, must have deleted them. Taking these kiddos of mine to the bust stop...but from what you say not worth doing any data logs anyway since we can't see what we're looking for.

SpoolinFK8

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Bringing this back from the grave. I’ve read this entire thread and seems like no one would post their Datalog, so just for kicks and giggles i had the HKS BOV on my R when it first came out and removed it after tuning the car with Pheareble stage 2 tune. Threw on the BOV last weekend to datalog, will remove once you guys are content with the datalog.
I’m FBO, with Pheareble stage 2.5 advance throttle response tune, ran the datalog in Comfort Mode. I’ve attached two datalog Zip files if anyone wants to run it on their hondata app and chime in on what it looks like.
-After i remove it this weekend i’ll post another datalog without the HKS BOV for comparison. Cheers guys. This is done with the intension of learning and development not to bash each other.

Honda Civic 10th gen HKS SQIV BOV HKS BOV Comfort mode datalog.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bringing this back from the grave. I’ve read this entire thread and seems like no one would post their Datalog, so just for kicks and giggles i had the HKS BOV on my R when it first came out and removed it after tuning the car with Pheareble stage 2 tune. Threw on the BOV last weekend to datalog, will remove once you guys are content with the datalog.
I’m FBO, with Pheareble stage 2.5 advance throttle response tune, ran the datalog in Comfort Mode. I’ve attached two datalog Zip files if anyone wants to run it on their hondata app and chime in on what it looks like.
-After i remove it this weekend i’ll post another datalog without the HKS BOV for comparison. Cheers guys. This is done with the intension of learning and development not to bash each other.

HKS BOV Comfort mode datalog.JPG
I had posted some data logs but I guess they weren't what they wanted...looks pretty much like yours lol