First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2018 on the left, mine (2017) on the right...given, slightly different angle...but it looks like his connector is different?

Honda Civic 10th gen HKS SQIV BOV 2018and2017
Sponsored

SpoolinFK8

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve been running my HKS BOV for over a year now with no issue and hiccups, on another note from a tuner in Maryland NY who states, as long as its tuned properly it does not cause rich conditions to the engine.

Honda Civic 10th gen HKS SQIV BOV 4D74CA5E-68F1-4571-8EFA-591277971B23

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been running my HKS BOV for over a year now with no issue and hiccups, on another note from a tuner in Maryland NY who states, as long as its tuned properly it does not cause rich conditions to the engine.

4D74CA5E-68F1-4571-8EFA-591277971B23.png
mine ran fine prior to a tune, but I did use a hondata base map at the time.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nobody hates you for running it @02SilverSiHB, we just don't agree that it is without problems, however negligible. It's your car, do as you wish. Good to hear it still works for you.

Interesting that the connectors are different. I'll look up some part numbers later and see if it really is.

on another note from a tuner in Maryland NY who states, as long as its tuned properly it does not cause rich conditions to the engine.
The only way I can think of for it to be tuned properly on a MAF tune is by measuring how much air the BOV releases and communicating that to the ECU.. which isn't possible on the factory ECU. There's no way for the ECU to know that it needs to immediately inject less fuel (and exactly how much) when an aftermarket mechanical device right before the throttle body makes a boost leak. It'll correct pretty quickly, but there's no way to just tune this out.

Last edited:

SpoolinFK8

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I say the same thing about mine. Adding a BOV to a OEM base map tune to a MAF sure, i wont argue with anyone on that it causes a rich condition even if for a split second.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nobody hates you for running it @02SilverSiHB

Interesting that the connectors are different. I'll look up some part numbers later and see if it really is.
They are different for sure, there’s another post about it in here somewhere. It was Honda’s fix for issues with different sensors having issues with vibration

SpoolinFK8

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
2018 on the left, mine (2017) on the right...given, slightly different angle...but it looks like his connector is different?

2018and2017.png
Something seems off on his tubes. Nothing to do with that connector. I’ll post pictures of how i installed mine. From BOV to all the rubber tubes and how they are supposed to be connected. See if it helps your friend retrace his tracks and see whats different. I’ve installed 5 oHKS BOV plus my car and i have communicated with each of my friends that i have installed and they all haven’t had any issues with their cars drivability and BOV.

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I'm past the 1-year mark with my SQIV BOV. I haven't had any issues with it at all. To the BOV Haters out there, sorry but my engine did NOT blow up to validate your point. Time has proven my original posts correct.

Tuning is important. There's no doubt about that. However, if any of you run the HKS SQIV BOV, I would tell you that it should be the last piece of your build you should install.

You want to penny-pinch, try to ice-skate uphill. It doesn't work. Get the full HKS build, ( Intercooler, Intake, Exhaust, and finally the BOV ). If you don't go Hondata, then get the AFR Controller.

Again, the BOV haters are going to continue to hate. Even in the face of FACTS, they will put it down. Don't listen to that and do your thing.
If your build is a dog's breakfast of parts from different manufacturers, then you can expect imbalance. Not the way to go. If you are in for an inch, you are in for a pound. Build for efficient smooth balance and NOT overpower! Let the other guy blow his engine up trying to get to the finish line.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm past the 1-year mark with my SQIV BOV. I haven't had any issues with it at all. To the BOV Haters out there, sorry but my engine did NOT blow up to validate your point. Time has proven my original posts correct.
Nobody ever said your engine was going to blow up. It's running rich, not lean. Nothing really blows up these engines except antilag, methanol systems failing, and really bad tuning. We said that the BOV would cause the air fuel ratio to go rich and out of the ECUs precise control, which is 100% undisputable. The effects of this we do not know, probably no more than washing the oil off the cylinder walls a little, but the richness is most certainly happening and undesirable.

People here don't hate the BOV. We hate that the manufacturer made a part that makes no sense with our ECU and then several people act like it has positive benefits to performance or has absolutely no downside.

The only 'FACTS' you have is that your engine hasn't blown yet, which means absolutely nothing. I lightly use antilag daily on my stock block, knowing full well what might happen. Nothing has happened after well over a year. Does that mean everyone should start enabling antilag? No. One should always be educated on the downsides of a modification and that's all anyone is doing here.

Go wild with your tutututu sounds. I love hearing my turbo and all the noises my engine makes. I think turbo noises are the coolest noises and I love a good BOV. Just drop the illusion that it's a part in perfect harmony with everything else because HKS made it.

Last edited:

NinjaDog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just picked up a 2017 FK8 used and this BOV is the only mod installed. It really doesn't make much sound, I was concerned it was going to annoy me but I really have to push the car to get any noise out of it.
Is it adjustable? Its not something I would ever bother installing but now that I have it I may as well enjoy it lol

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nobody ever said your engine was going to blow up. It's running rich, not lean. Nothing really blows up these engines except antilag, methanol systems failing, and really bad tuning. We said that the BOV would cause the air fuel ratio to go rich and out of the ECUs precise control, which is 100% undisputable. The effects of this we do not know, probably no more than washing the oil off the cylinder walls a little, but the richness is most certainly happening and undesirable.

People here don't hate the BOV. We hate that the manufacturer made a part that makes no sense with our ECU and then several people act like it has positive benefits to performance or has absolutely no downside.

The only 'FACTS' you have is that your engine hasn't blown yet, which means absolutely nothing. I lightly use antilag daily on my stock block, knowing full well what might happen. Nothing has happened after well over a year. Does that mean everyone should start enabling antilag? No. One should always be educated on the downsides of a modification and that's all anyone is doing here.

Go wild with your tutututu sounds. I love hearing my turbo and all the noises my engine makes. I think turbo noises are the coolest noises and I love a good BOV. Just drop the illusion that it's a part in perfect harmony with everything else because HKS made it.
It’s not running rich. I have shown screenshots of datalogs

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just picked up a 2017 FK8 used and this BOV is the only mod installed. It really doesn't make much sound, I was concerned it was going to annoy me but I really have to push the car to get any noise out of it.
Is it adjustable? Its not something I would ever bother installing but now that I have it I may as well enjoy it lol
There’s different inserts. I’m running an insert that makes a deeper sounding “woosh”

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Something seems off on his tubes. Nothing to do with that connector. I’ll post pictures of how i installed mine. From BOV to all the rubber tubes and how they are supposed to be connected. See if it helps your friend retrace his tracks and see whats different. I’ve installed 5 oHKS BOV plus my car and i have communicated with each of my friends that i have installed and they all haven’t had any issues with their cars drivability and BOV.
Same thing I thought. Something looked strange about how his is

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It’s not running rich. I have shown screenshots of datalogs
I'm sorry, but it is. The datalogs don't have super high resolution and can easily miss the split second that the BOV causes the engine to go rich.

It's a really basic concept that doesn't even merit debate or need datalogs to prove/disprove. The ECU measures air at the intake. The BOV lets air out after the intake and before the cylinders. The ECU, not knowing any better, injects the amount of fuel into the cylinders that would match with the amount of air at the intake. You have now introduced richness, which the ECU will rapidly attempt to correct for, even potentially causing a lean scenario with how badly this ECU controls feedback.

Know that I'm not here to tell you you're wrong and your part is bad or you're dumb for running it or anything like that. Feel free to run the part all day, feel free to tell others to run it because it sounds awesome. But the fact of the matter is, by definition, this thing makes the air fuel ratio go rich. The long term effects of this are unknown and there are no short term effects, but it's still one way or the other, no matter how you slice or dice it, messing with the airflow metering on a MAF-tuned ECU that needs perfect airflow metering more than any other MAF-tuned ECU.
Sponsored

Last edited: