Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hondata themselves have said it is not a good idea.

You cannot use BOV that vents to atmosphere on a mass flow engine (using an air flow meter). The un-metered air loss will make the engine run very rich at times.
There's no questioning the fact that running a BOV that isn't controlled by the ECU ultimately means that the air going into the engine is unmeasured and is effectively a boost leak. Our ECU operates entirely around how much air is supposed to be in the cylinder.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
there is no "conditionals".
I'm not hating. This isn't the first car people used a VTA bov on a maf car.
the AFR controller they have is just to fix the voltage reading difference you get from a different sized pipe. It has nothing to do with the bov venting to the atmosphere.

Not sure what living in japan has to do with how a vta bov runs on a maf car. Engine works the same no matter the area you live.
Go talk to anyone who knows how an engine works, any tuner, or google search vta bov on a maf car or something lol.
Funny, I didn’t mention you at all. Why are you speaking up?

All I did I the above post was tell that man my truth. Had my car setup at HKS technical factory. They worked directly with the people at Honda.

I spoke with the R & D tech who helped designed the car in Tokyo. Now the question is simple. Do I believe first hand information about the HKS BOV or do I believe your boys that you may or may not know personally?

Stop spreading fear and give the man firsthand factual information. I just had my annual check. ALL CLEAR buddy.

You are only right about one thing. Nobody needs a BOV. If you want it make sure you get all components and do it right. But don’t start spreading claims that his car will blow up like an episode of Wacky Races. Delete your post or I will share with some people who might feel defamed by your comments.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There is a lot of bad information on this forum. I was part of that group until I discovered the truth.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Funny, I didn’t mention you at all. Why are you speaking up?

All I did I the above post was tell that man my truth. Had my car setup at HKS technical factory. They worked directly with the people at Honda.

I spoke with the R & D tech who helped designed the car in Tokyo. Now the question is simple. Do I believe first hand information about the HKS BOV or do I believe your boys that you may or may not know personally?

Stop spreading fear and give the man firsthand factual information. I just had my annual check. ALL CLEAR buddy.

You are only right about one thing. Nobody needs a BOV. If you want it make sure you get all components and do it right. But don’t start spreading claims that his car will blow up like an episode of Wacky Races. Delete your post or I will share with some people who might feel defamed by your comments.
This is a public forum. I didn't realize i required your approval to post.
These guys are not my "boys" and your right i don't know them personally but clearly everyone who is anti bov is a hater to your eyes.
all i said are facts. it's how engines that are tuned with a MAF acts. Just because it's on a bosch ecu it is not going to change the way it behaves. You don't have to believe me lol, i'm not going to lose sleep just because you don't believe me.
Please look for a post where i said it's going to blow up when you run a BOV. I have never once said that. If you want to run one go ahead lol.

I'm curious...what will happen if you did lol.

He was only sharing what he's experienced. Nothing wrong with that imo
it's just how maf tuned engines behaves with a vta bov. nothing new.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So we do know that simply due to how the car's motor runs, the car will run richer with a BOV, the question is how much and will it affect the longevity of the motor. For this, two things come to mind, magnitude and duration.

Magnitude refers to much richer will the motor run? Say that an air-fuel ratio of 14.7:1 is optimal, in theory an air-fuel ratio of 14.5:1 is technically running "rich", it's not very rich and probably won't cause much harm to a motor. On the contrary an air-fuel ratio of 13:1 would be considered very rich and could cause damage to the motor in the long run. So that's one number we definitely don't have, is what is the air-fuel ratio while the BOV is active?

Duration refers to how much time will the motor be in this "rich" state? If the only time the motor enters the "rich" state is when the air pressure must be dumped and it only happens for a half a second, it's arguably a lot better than if the motor is simply just running rich 24/7.

Logs would answer both of these questions (you'd want with and without BOV, preferably on the same vehicle). You'd see exactly when the motor enters the rich state and how rich the motor is during said state. In theory, if the air-fuel ratio gets bad enough, it could cause... More NoX emissions to result and worse fuel economy? Unburnt fuel can coat the spark plugs and a less-clean burning motor in general (your cat won't like you, gunk could form on cylinders/walls/etc.).

But if the motor is generally always at a "good" but sometimes rich state, then the unburnt fuel might just leave the cylinder during the "good" state since more crap exits than stays vs a motor that is always rich might have buildup on the plugs since more crap stays in the cylinder vs leaving it.

But as it stands, we don't know if it's doing too much harm to affect the longevity of the motor or if the harm being done is negligible. It's like downshifting to a stop, if you rev match you still technically wear down the clutch quicker, but the wear is negligible; if you clutch brake while down shifting then the wear probably won't be negligible though. We don't know whether the BOV is like downshifting while rev matching or clutch braking in terms of damage to the motor. One party says one way, the other says the other.

saint365

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I drive my R daily running with HKS Bov but haven't faced any minor/major issues related running BOV.
It's arguable topic since we don't really have data.
I've seen owners with HKS BOV doing track or driving daily, but no signs of issue yet.
I'm just type of person believe company like HKS wouldn't develop the product that will damage the car.
I mean its aftermarket parts. Any aftermarket parts are do it at your own risk. :)
Sponsored