First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
Let’s begin!
Car: Honda Civic Type R FK8 ( ECU Normal )
Concern: MAF system with BOV
Related: HKS Intercooler, HKS L-Spec Exhaust Eventuri Air Intake
Goal: Cool Whoosh Sound

24 hours of reading and I still could not find what I’m looking for. I was trying to find a diagram or flowchart that shows the airflow throughout the engine in relation to the airbox intake, the intercooler, the recirc valve and where the BOV will be.

So I know what the MAF system is, where it’s located and what it does exactly for the ECU. My understanding is that the K20C favors the internal recirc airflow, keeping most of the air intake internal. I was advised to keep the stock recirc valve and connect the HKS SQIV blow off valve to that.

I’ve also heard stories that I should absolutely at all costs avoid the Booomba recirc valve and their BOV as they are relatively new to the game. So I guess I need to focus my question on the HKS SQIV BOV only.

Apparently, the HKS BOV is sequential. The kit I purchased is car specific FK8. It is not clear to me how well it works with the stock recirc valve. Can I assume that the BOV is a slave to the stock recirc valve and has essentially become the whistle that I wanted? Or does this device force the recirc valve to let off more? I mostly have interplay questions on my mind.

The plan I came up with so far is to first install the HKS Intercooler, Spoon Radiator, and Eventuri Air intake. I plan to live with those items for while to see if I’m happy with the audible sounds I get when open throttle and shifting. I think the HKS BOV is one of the most beautiful pieces of engineering I’ve ever seen and look forward to using it. Perhaps doing things in stages is the best way to go?

Understanding the interplay is very important to me. Also if anyone knows where I can see a diagram of how all these devices flow air between one another.
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I can't help really, but I have seen multiple people on facebook that have the HKS BOV say there was now issues running it...I know, I'm not helping, but that's all I got lol

mcmario

First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type r
Country flag
i have the new hks bov kit for my fk8 and yes there is problems bc the stock sends air back in and now you are letting it out the fuel air is now off so you have to tune but the next problem is that k tuner or hondata does not support this tune as of yet you will need a speed density tune instead of the map tune to get it to work properly only motec stand alone at the moment can tune it other wise you will run way to rich and if you drive it under 4000 rpm will be ok but if you pull it to much will cause damage i have called hondata and informed them abt this they told me to start a form on there web so i did more people support faster they will get on this fix

Last edited:

mcmario

First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type r
Country flag
i have the new hks bov kit for my fk8 and yes there is problems bc the stock sends air back in and now you are letting it out the fuel air is now off so you have to tune but the next problem is that k tuner or hondata does not support this tune as of yet you will need a speed density tune instead of the map tune to get it to work properly only motec stand alone at the moment can tune it other wise you will run way to rich and if you drive it under 4000 rpm will be ok but if you pull it to much will cause damage i have called hondata and informed them abt this they told me to start a form on there web so i did more people support faster they will get on this fix
just talked to hondata they have no plans to fix this so don't waste the money

mcmario

First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type r
Country flag
and you know why? because it a useless mod
yes as far as performance it does nothing but everyone wants it thats why its back ordered like crazy never met anyone that loves cars not like that sound of a hks bov as the numbers grow they will probably support it bc they have to stay supporting there users other wise they will go elsewhere that supports it just the way the competition works

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I love cars and I hate how the ssqv sounds. I’m more fan of how the blitz dd sounds.

The only choice you have right now like you said is a motec and not many people are going to drop 6G because they want to run a vta bov lol.

mcmario

First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type r
Country flag
I love cars and I hate how the ssqv sounds. I’m more fan of how the blitz dd sounds.

The only choice you have right now like you said is a motec and not many people are going to drop 6G because they want to run a vta bov lol.
motec is made for a lot more then bov lol its more for people that r building there car for racing so in my case its worth it if its just for bov not worth it obviously

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
yes i understand and know what motec is. I am not new to engine building or tuning.
they have to stay supporting there users other wise they will go elsewhere that supports it just the way the competition works
I'm mainly responding to this. Your average person running a ssqv is not going to change over to motec.

Frackz

First Name
Snoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2018 Audi RS3
Country flag
have you tried just getting an intake.

it gives you a woosh sound... it might just give you what your looking for?

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
In for updates...

This is disappointing to read as I ordered this kit about a month ago (it still isn't here because it's back ordered). I might just cancel it after reading this.

To the OP: Most of the newer cars these days are meant to run with full re circulation. I think this just replaces some of the stock parts and forces it to dump it more which in turn makes our cars run like crap.

flipnrr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r - 2004 S2000
Country flag
in for more details also. i’m in the wait for the kit and just bummed to read this. was so excited since this is my first turbo car but not really a big deal if its not worth it. just use the money for other parts.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious as to why people are still trying to put bov’s on these cars. Not trying to be a dick but do you guys really not research parts before ordering and putting them on, there is plenty of information that bov’s are bad for these car. I can’t imagine why anyone would think one manufacture’s product is going to end up not making the car run rich.

To be honest it really should be shame on these companies that are making bov’s for this car but hey if people are going to keep buying them why would they say no to your money.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
not sure why people are surprised.
although it doesn't seem like it fully deletes the factory bpv, it is still an atmospheric bov on a maf car.
Sponsored