NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
By the way my setup is a TD03 hybrid pushing 24psi to redline and 265whp on a dynapack so the tube&fin intercooler is more than capable to support any power goal on the stock base engine
Cool man ?
Share the exhaust/intake sound with us bro..
Sponsored

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Lol @NewCivicRs it's just a 27Won intake with the Race MAF and the 11-blade TD03 compressor is just so silent ... bone stock exhaust too (including the stock cat) so not quite a lot to hear mate :)
It's just an everyday quiet sedan that can bite hard on the occasional street race :p

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
So agree bro. High IAT2 does not mean the IC gets Heatsoaked, depends on certain situation, because IAT2 sensor located on Intake Manifold pipe, not the IC itseld.

Heatsoaked IC is when we full throttle, the temp keep going up to 60 or even more and more.

The heat soaked we see is when we left off the throttle, especially at traffic light, the intake manifold gets hot from engine bay temp but temporarily, soon goes down when cooling fan kicks in or when the car moves. Once we make boost again, intake pipe gets cold air, the temp goes down even more and stable at around 40-45 even using stock IC with 19.5 Psi haha.
Yep, basically the cold charge pipe getting warm from the engine at low loads, the sensor is right there. I'l gold wrap it to see if it helps a tiny bit.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
Lol @NewCivicRs it's just a 27Won intake with the Race MAF and the 11-blade TD03 compressor is just so silent ... bone stock exhaust too (including the stock cat) so not quite a lot to hear mate :)
It's just an everyday quiet sedan that can bite hard on the occasional street race :p
The turbo sounds louder than stock ? everytime I go to mall, I lower window and pull a bit, sounds really nice "ssshhhhh.. cusss" even with stock turbo and stock diverter valve hahaha..

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
Yep, basically the cold charge pipe getting warm from the engine at low loads, the sensor is right there. I'l gold wrap it to see if it helps a tiny bit.
Wrapping charge pipe is good idea, but I think it is just a support for bigger IC. Charge pipe only would not make much different.

Last edited:

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
I've seen up to 108ÂşC at the track but seems to be a heat cycle because it start to drop anyway at some point, I'll get an upgraded grill some day to allow more air. In summer i can see constant 80-90 ÂşC ECT it can go as high as 103 on stop and go traffic or climbing for a long time on mountain roads and then the fans kicks in and drop to 80's, i've seen that with stock intercooler as well. Turning the AC on seems to help as the radiator fans are always on. I've never experienced 95-100ÂşC cruising on winter, only climbing a long mountain road.
yeah i have noticed ECT dropped by turning on the AC, is there anyway to keep the fan on without turning the ac on.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
yeah i have noticed ECT dropped by turning on the AC, is there anyway to keep the fan on without turning the ac on.
There is a motor to regulate when the fan should be on/off. Remove it, which is not recommended.

It will automatically turn on if ECT 1 reaches certain degree, regardless of AC on/off. Maybe you need Racing Fan.

My ECT 1 highest temp is 90C degree, no matter how hard I pull, and how hot the weather is in Indonesia.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Wrapping charge pipe is good idea, but I think this is the last step after IC upgrade including piping upgrade.

Reducing charge pipe only affect IAT 1, what we need to reduce the most is IAT 2 ? so sometimes IAT2 can reach the same temp, even hotter than IAT 1 at traffic light. So just wrapping charge pipe only would not make much, my opinion.
Charge pipe sensor (post intercooler) is IAT2

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I decided to replace my Rev9 intercooler with HKS R Type Intercooler for FK7. HKS R Type Intercooler for FK7 is confirmed a tube and fin construction. Intercooler fin seems solid and the tube & fin is dense so the intercooler's performance looked promising.

Simple and quick installation because it only comes with charge pipe connector for both hot and cold side so we only need to connect piping from intercooler package with the stock pipe for both hot and cold side.

I haven't tested WOT drive because of flood affected a few areas outside my residential cluster so I just tested partial throttle.

Cold start: IAT2 temperature is +2 C higher than ambient temperature. This looks promising as the old intercooler was +5 C higher than ambient temperature. Drove the car at partial throttle for about 30 minutes with combination of normal driving and stop & go driving. IAT2 between +10 and +12 C vs. ambient.

I noticed the intercooler did a good job in cooling IAT2 when moving because IAT2 goes down as the car moves.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I decided to replace my Rev9 intercooler with HKS R Type Intercooler for FK7. HKS R Type Intercooler for FK7 is confirmed a tube and fin construction. Intercooler fin seems solid and the tube & fin is dense so the intercooler's performance looked promising.

Simple and quick installation because it only comes with charge pipe connector for both hot and cold side so we only need to connect piping from intercooler package with the stock pipe for both hot and cold side.

I haven't tested WOT drive because of flood affected a few areas outside my residential cluster so I just tested partial throttle.

Cold start: IAT2 temperature is +2 C higher than ambient temperature. This looks promising as the old intercooler was +5 C higher than ambient temperature. Drove the car at partial throttle for about 30 minutes with combination of normal driving and stop & go driving. IAT2 between +10 and +12 C vs. ambient.

I noticed the intercooler did a good job in cooling IAT2 when moving because IAT2 goes down as the car moves.
Any pictures of HKS R type on your car and comparison with your old rev9 intercooler?

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any pictures of HKS R type on your car and comparison with your old rev9 intercooler?
I don’t have comparison picture between Rev9 & HKS but I have HKS intercooler picture installed on my car, which you can find in my Instagram.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t have comparison picture between Rev9 & HKS but I have HKS intercooler picture installed on my car, which you can find in my Instagram.
Looking great, looking forward to your built engine project. BTW make sure you got grill to protect your HKS intercooler as its tube&fin easily can get damage by flying debris or small stone/pebbles.

Last edited:

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looking great, looking forward to your built engine project. BTW make sure you got grill to protect your HKS intercooler as its tube&fin easily can get damage by flying debris or small stone/pebbles.
Thank you. You can follow the progress in my Instagram.

I still have my stock grill so I'm not too worry about debris & pebbles. Thanks for the reminder though.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
For what it's worth, I've been running the Wagner tube&fin intercooler and I have never managed to heat soak it, either on the road or in the dyno, even during 40ish Celsius in the summer. It also doesn't seem to affect ECT at all, so I'm not seeing more than 85C ECT even after a couple 100-200 pulls.
IAT2 is always 5-7C over ambient in a 3rd or 4th pull to redline and will pick up 3-5 more in a 100-200+ pull
I am looking at the Wagner to purchase. What does the torque down low feel like compared to when stock? I don't want to go too big.
Sponsored