First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m not on stock turbo. I’ve upgraded to CAPTS Stage 2 turbo, which has similar spec as TD03. I’m targeting about 300 hp Dastek dyno target, which approx. 270 Dyna Pack hp, probably around 260 Dynojet hp. Rev 9 intercooler heatsoak after the 3rd pull (52 celcius), ECT reached 94 celcius. Temperature during testing was 35 celcius.
Well, 35 celcius ambient and getting 52 celcius IAT2 during a dyno session after the 3rd pull isnt too bad. It could be better, but its not that bad. It would be bad if you were talking about road testing (even then, 35 ambient temperature plus high humidity and 52 IAT2 would make some sense). If you can afford a better FMIC, then of course go for it but I would not expect huge differences during a dyno session...
Sponsored

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
Well, 35 celcius ambient and getting 52 celcius IAT2 during a dyno session after the 3rd pull isnt too bad. It could be better, but its not that bad. It would be bad if you were talking about road testing (even then, 35 ambient temperature plus high humidity and 52 IAT2 would make some sense). If you can afford a better FMIC, then of course go for it but I would not expect huge differences during a dyno session...
yeah even my car with rev9 intercooler on dyno 3 weeks back was showing higher than usual on road, ambient temp was 16c and my IAT was above 30c otherwise on road its showing 25c with this ambient temp.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
It wasn’t dyno pull. It was on the street.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It wasn’t dyno pull. It was on the street.
Even so, 20 celcius up after 3 wot pulls at such ambient temps is not that bad...! Do not expect miracles from intercoolers. I have realized as much after installing mine. Granted, mine is not vented as good as it could because of the bumper design but it surely is much much bigger than stock. Still, I get real differences between aftermarket and stock, when cruising rather than WOT pulls.
Another difference is that aftermarket will cool off slightly quicker than stock and give you 3 or 4 WOT pulls before heat-soaking instead of only one. But at 35 celcius, no intercooler can do much. I did many many WOT pulls in 35 celcius and even 39 (Greece can get pretty warm and humid during summer as well) and I got similar readings as yours. I even got 114 celcius ECT at some point going over 220km/h for more than 5 minutes. I had the heater blow hot air to drop ECT as much as possible during that time and still got 114 celcius ECT. The cabin felt like I was in a sauna! At the time, ambient was 38 celcius and IAT2 was 61...!

Last edited:

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
I usually get 7ºC over ambient on my mishimoto 3 ~ 5 best case when engine bay is cool. If I don't push it too much and let it heatsoak it will climb up to 15ºC over ambient (it drops to 7ºC once boost come in). So in summer at 35ºC I usually see +42 while boosting (usually around 45 or more if you stay in traffic or city), and near 50 while not in boost.

Last edited:

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I usually get 7ºC over ambient on my mishimoto 3 ~ 5 best case when engine bay is cool. If I don't push it too much and let it heatsoak it will climb up to 15ºC over ambient (it drops to 7ºC once boost come in). So in summer at 35ºC I usually see +42 while boosting (usually around 45 or more if you stay in traffic or city), and near 50 while not in boost.
Yes. Usually about 48 celcius city driving with my Rev9 intercooler but never touched 50 when it was in boost. Funny thing was that IAT2 went down back to normal after I exit highway. When I stopped at traffic light, I took a look at tunerview & IAT2 was 48 celcius.

I concluded the intercooler works well until it was pushed.

I’m still considering this HKS intercooler. It seems that tube & fin could perform better than improper bar & plate IC construction.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How's your ECT temp after installing Mishimoto intercooler, a friend also got mishimoto intercooler and he saw great drop in IAT but the ECT is going high around 95-100c. On stock intercooler he never saw ECT goes this high even in normal cruising in winter ambient temp is 5-12c.

Last edited:

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes. Usually about 48 celcius city driving with my Rev9 intercooler but never touched 50 when it was in boost. Funny thing was that IAT2 went down back to normal after I exit highway. When I stopped at traffic light, I took a look at tunerview & IAT2 was 48 celcius.

I concluded the intercooler works well until it was pushed.

I’m still considering this HKS intercooler. It seems that tube & fin could perform better than improper bar & plate IC construction.
I say go for it and let us know how the HKS intercooler perform.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Hows your ECT temp after installing Mishimoto intercooler, a friend also got mishimoto intercooler and he saw great dop in IAT but the ECT is going high around 95-100c. On stock intercooler he never saw ECT goes this high even in normal cruising in winter ambient temp is 5-12c.
I've seen up to 108ºC at the track but seems to be a heat cycle because it start to drop anyway at some point, I'll get an upgraded grill some day to allow more air. In summer i can see constant 80-90 ºC ECT it can go as high as 103 on stop and go traffic or climbing for a long time on mountain roads and then the fans kicks in and drop to 80's, i've seen that with stock intercooler as well. Turning the AC on seems to help as the radiator fans are always on. I've never experienced 95-100ºC cruising on winter, only climbing a long mountain road.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
I’m not on stock turbo. I’ve upgraded to CAPTS Stage 2 turbo, which has similar spec as TD03. I’m targeting about 300 hp Dastek dyno target, which approx. 270 Dyna Pack hp, probably around 260 Dynojet hp. Rev 9 intercooler heatsoak after the 3rd pull (52 celcius), ECT reached 94 celcius. Temperature during testing was 35 celcius.
"50 C IAT2 is nothing of concern" - Derek Robinson
"55-65 Celcius needs bigger IC" - Davin Elika

Anyway, how much power drop after third pulls bro?
May I know the highest knock control?
Mine 0.66 the highest, no matter how hard I pull, how hot the day is.

Last edited:

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
Even so, 20 celcius up after 3 wot pulls at such ambient temps is not that bad...! Do not expect miracles from intercoolers. I have realized as much after installing mine. Granted, mine is not vented as good as it could because of the bumper design but it surely is much much bigger than stock. Still, I get real differences between aftermarket and stock, when cruising rather than WOT pulls.
Another difference is that aftermarket will cool off slightly quicker than stock and give you 3 or 4 WOT pulls before heat-soaking instead of only one. But at 35 celcius, no intercooler can do much. I did many many WOT pulls in 35 celcius and even 39 (Greece can get pretty warm and humid during summer as well) and I got similar readings as yours. I even got 114 celcius ECT at some point going over 220km/h for more than 5 minutes. I had the heater blow hot air to drop ECT as much as possible during that time and still got 114 celcius ECT. The cabin felt like I was in a sauna! At the time, ambient was 38 celcius and IAT2 was 61...!
I do agree.
Beside that, what we need to monitor is the knock control and how much power drop on dyno.
Power drop happens when ECU see unusual high temp thar could lead to knock, then ECU will retard ignition and cut the boost for safety.
As long as no knocks, and very small power drop, no worry of 50 or 55 IAT2.

Source from my chit chat with Experienced Tuners, Derek Robinson and Davin Elika.

My personal experience trip (1000km) from Medan City to Padang City, I can't feel much power loss, maybe just tiny amount. The car always ready to push me on the seat.
Indeed I spray cold water to my FMIC everytime I stop at rest area just to give extra support hahaha.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
For what it's worth, I've been running the Wagner tube&fin intercooler and I have never managed to heat soak it, either on the road or in the dyno, even during 40ish Celsius in the summer. It also doesn't seem to affect ECT at all, so I'm not seeing more than 85C ECT even after a couple 100-200 pulls.
IAT2 is always 5-7C over ambient in a 3rd or 4th pull to redline and will pick up 3-5 more in a 100-200+ pull

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
For what it's worth, I've been running the Wagner tube&fin intercooler and I have never managed to heat soak it, either on the road or in the dyno, even during 40ish Celsius in the summer. It also doesn't seem to affect ECT at all, so I'm not seeing more than 85C ECT even after a couple 100-200 pulls.
IAT2 is always 5-7C over ambient in a 3rd or 4th pull to redline and will pick up 3-5 more in a 100-200+ pull
Agree.

It's funny when we modify our cars too advanced, but we drive it often like granny, afraid of the turbo, the piston, etc, it's pointless, waste of money, why not just be in stock?

When we modify our cars, we don't push it to the limit, we add bolt ons to make it more realible. So we don't have to worry about conrod, turbo or anything.

And the funniest thing is, people who are trying to be "Tuner", but don't have real tuning knowledge, still have doubt in their tune, trying to tune their civics by their own, at the end, the modification is messy.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
So agree bro. High IAT2 does not mean the IC gets Heatsoaked, depends on certain situation, because IAT2 sensor located on Intake Manifold pipe, not the IC itseld.

Heatsoaked IC is when we full throttle, the temp keep going up to 60 or even more and more.

The heat soaked we see is when we left off the throttle, especially at traffic light, the intake manifold gets hot from engine bay temp but temporarily, soon goes down when cooling fan kicks in or when the car moves. Once we make boost again, intake pipe gets cold air, the temp goes down even more and stable at around 40-45 even using stock IC with 19.5 Psi haha.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
By the way my setup is a TD03 hybrid pushing 24psi to redline and 265whp on a dynapack so the tube&fin intercooler is more than capable to support any power goal on the stock base engine
Sponsored