Spike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2016 Aprilia RSV4
Country flag
If it's just the catback and no downpipe you should be fine. I believe you will need to get a front pipe as well.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's just the catback and no downpipe you should be fine. I believe you will need to get a front pipe as well.
That would be something I need to know because I am unable to tell from the pictures. I also don’t know anything about front or downpipes but it sounds like the downpipe is the one that causes a CEL?

TypeWavey

Free The Wave
First Name
Spike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2016 Aprilia RSV4
Country flag
That would be something I need to know because I am unable to tell from the pictures. I also don’t know anything about front or downpipes but it sounds like the downpipe is the one that causes a CEL?
Exactly. You usually need a tune when swapping out the downpipe on any car. Catbacks are good to go.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exactly. You usually need a tune when swapping out the downpipe on any car. Catbacks are good to go.
This is super helpful. If I remember correctly, The stock CTR exhaust has everything as one piece - meaning the frontpipe can’t be reused right?

Hopefully I don’t sound completely clueless but I am.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
This is super helpful. If I remember correctly, The stock CTR exhaust has everything as one piece - meaning the frontpipe can’t be reused right?

Hopefully I don’t sound completely clueless but I am.
stock exhaust has 3 sections.
1. the downpipe with the cat
2. front pipe
3. front pipe back

The HKS exhaust should be front pipe back so you should be able to reuse the stock front pipe.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those with the legamax, everything just installed with no modifications needed, right? That’s what the shop asked me and I was like “uhhhh I think so” but just wanted to make sure cause I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger lol. I don’t know anything about exhausts so I’m hoping this is just a swap and be done with it with no things like CEL or not passing emissions testing.
Yep, no modifications, straight swap for the OEM. One thing to mention or check with the installer is that the dual tips are symmetric in the opening. There is some empty space with only (2) tips, so if you are like me, if it is off center you will notice & it will drive you nuts. Guy that installed mine was more anal than me, so it looks about as perfect as can be. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Legamax UNLESS you want something loud. It is noticeably louder than stock, but not by a whole lot. Very deep, sophisticated tone. Very little drone to speak of, but it can be a tad boomy under certain throttle at certain RPM's. Certainly not a deal breaker for me and I was very weary about a loud exhaust. For the $, I do not see a better deal out there. Very high quality materials and workmanship. HKS is solid. Note: As it collects carbon, it has gotten a tad bit louder than when brand new, but still below my threshold for obnoxiousness. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. Correct above. Legamax will retain stock front pipe & downpipe/cat. Zero chance for CEL issues & 100% street legal. Also note, the Legamax comes in (3) pieces, but the stock section it replaces is one piece and will NOT fit in the CTR. I left the OEM exhaust at the dealership (they held it for me to make sure I didn't want to switch back for a month or so and then disposed of it for me when I was sure I would keep the HKS.)

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, no modifications, straight swap for the OEM. One thing to mention or check with the installer is that the dual tips are symmetric in the opening. There is some empty space with only (2) tips, so if you are like me, if it is off center you will notice & it will drive you nuts. Guy that installed mine was more anal than me, so it looks about as perfect as can be. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Legamax UNLESS you want something loud. It is noticeably louder than stock, but not by a whole lot. Very deep, sophisticated tone. Very little drone to speak of, but it can be a tad boomy under certain throttle at certain RPM's. Certainly not a deal breaker for me and I was very weary about a loud exhaust. For the $, I do not see a better deal out there. Very high quality materials and workmanship. HKS is solid. Note: As it collects carbon, it has gotten a tad bit louder than when brand new, but still below my threshold for obnoxiousness. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. Correct above. Legamax will retain stock front pipe & downpipe/cat. Zero chance for CEL issues & 100% street legal. Also note, the Legamax comes in (3) pieces, but the stock section it replaces is one piece and will NOT fit in the CTR. I left the OEM exhaust at the dealership (they held it for me to make sure I didn't want to switch back for a month or so and then disposed of it for me when I was sure I would keep the HKS.)
THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed to know. Armed with this information which erased my concerns I went ahead and purchased it! :D

The good news is the shop is literally a 45 second walk from my house so I could carry the old exhaust back if I really had to (maybe, if it weighs too much I may need some help) :eek:

I don’t care if there is, but would this slightly reduce performance? Curious as I’ve seen other exhausts lower the outputs by a few.

Last edited:

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
stock exhaust has 3 sections.
1. the downpipe with the cat
2. front pipe
3. front pipe back

The HKS exhaust should be front pipe back so you should be able to reuse the stock front pipe.
To clar
THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed to know. Armed with this information which erased my concerns I went ahead and purchased it! :D

The good news is the shop is literally a 45 second walk from my house so I could carry the old exhaust back if I really had to (maybe, if it weighs too much I may need some help) :eek:

I don’t care if there is, but would this slightly reduce performance? Curious as I’ve seen other exhausts lower the outputs by a few.
It def does not reduce power. HKS claims that it reduces back pressure by 50%. Not sure about actual gains, but with stock cat it probably does not free up much power. Get KTuner if you want a nice power bump.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Question:
Does your HKS exhaust hanger come with HKS letter cutout plate or 3 circles? Mine came with 3 circles but in some pix I saw it comes with the HKS plate.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Man, I really like the sound of this exhaust, but I also really don't want to drop down to only 2 outlets. Has there been any word of a 3-tipped version of this?
Sponsored