First Name
Sawdomy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
Hey Community,

Debating on 2 things for my Type R.. Waiting a month and pulling the trigger on these 2 items,

2017 CTR Not my daily, but i also dont track it, just spirited canyon runs and some street pulls.

HKS Coilover Kit Hipermax IV

Or

Whiteline full suspension upgrade ( springs camber arms and sway bars front + rear)

Anyone have experience with both?
Are the coil overs Worth losing my Drive modes?
my wheels are 18x9.5 with a 36 off set on 265/35/18 Federal RSRR will I rub on either?

ANY Input would be appreciated! Thanks again.
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Community,

Debating on 2 things for my Type R.. Waiting a month and pulling the trigger on these 2 items,

2017 CTR Not my daily, but i also dont track it, just spirited canyon runs and some street pulls.

Or

Whiteline full suspension upgrade ( springs camber arms and sway bars front + rear)

my wheels are 18x9.5 with a 36 off set on 265/35/18 Federal RSRR will I rub on either?

I have hipermax and ran 18x9.5 with 35 offset and 265/35 tire. The way hks comes, you would rub in the rear, so I'd recommend raising it up in the rear a tad...like 3mm.

Hipermax is super stiff, even on the lowest setting. As for the dampner settings being lost...doesn't bother me at all, lol.

As for the whiteline setup...never ran it, but sway bars would definitely be a world of a difference I'd assume...but know that with the front, you have to drop the frame to install the front sway.

OP
OP

DiamondR

Banned
First Name
Sawdomy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
I have hipermax and ran 18x9.5 with 35 offset and 265/35 tire. The way hks comes, you would rub in the rear, so I'd recommend raising it up in the rear a tad...like 3mm.

Hipermax is super stiff, even on the lowest setting. As for the dampner settings being lost...doesn't bother me at all, lol.

As for the whiteline setup...never ran it, but sway bars would definitely be a world of a difference I'd assume...but know that with the front, you have to drop the frame to install the front sway.

Thanks for the tip! Dropping the frame is no fun lol

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
HKS spring rates are 12k front and 10k rear. WL springs are 4.5k front and 5.1k rear. I know you said it isn't your daily so comfort isnt really a concern, but if this is purely a fun touge car you might want to reconsider those extremely stiff spring rates for anything but a smooth track. For the ultimate touge setup I prefer a soft spring, stiff sway bar approach. It is more forgiving and far less dangerous up on the windy mountain roads.

OP
OP

DiamondR

Banned
First Name
Sawdomy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
HKS spring rates are 12k front and 10k rear. WL springs are 4.5k front and 5.1k rear. I know you said it isn't your daily so comfort isnt really a concern, but if this is purely a fun touge car you might want to reconsider those extremely stiff spring rates for anything but a smooth track. For the ultimate touge setup I prefer a soft spring, stiff sway bar approach. It is more forgiving and far less dangerous up on the windy mountain roads.
Good to know! Suggestions? Am I going with swift like everyone else?

So more spring rate = smoother ride?

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
Good to know! Suggestions? Am I going with swift like everyone else?

So more spring rate = smoother ride?
Swift makes good quality springs if not some of the best so you can't go wrong with them.

More spring rate is generally going to offer harsher ride unless paired with a quality shock that is adequately valved for the spring rates, which the HKS units probably are.

Softer springs are going to offer better mechanical grip and offer the tire a better contact patch to follow the road better. On a mountain round with dips, bumps, rocks, etc you want the tire to maintain the best contact or else it could really be a life or death situation.

Best advice I can give is to try and get some ride alongs with some fellow 10th gens who have coilovers installed to see how the car rides and reacts to those types of roads.

spdwrksfk8

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Country flag
I agree with Joel 100% on the setup part i have the Whiteline spring/swaybars setup and like it over stock it feels good but not to stiff. personally i would probably go with the swift springs. I daily my car and canyon drive and track day it also. softer is better in the hills for sure with stability

OP
OP

DiamondR

Banned
First Name
Sawdomy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
I agree with Joel 100% on the setup part i have the Whiteline spring/swaybars setup and like it over stock it feels good but not to stiff. personally i would probably go with the swift springs. I daily my car and canyon drive and track day it also. softer is better in the hills for sure with stability
Good to know! So now the question is... Spoon Or swift?

Anybody have experience with both on daily / canyon drives?

Don't really have an option to drive with other Fk8 owners at the moment I work too much

spdwrksfk8

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Country flag
i have buddys with both swift and spoon springs they both ride good i think either is a good choice

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on Lust’s recent feedback on his build thread, may want to consider RV6’s offerings as a possible 3rd option.

Hey Community,

Or

Petrolicious

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2019 Lexus RX 350 F Sport, 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Unless you track your car, coilovers are not needed. HKS coil is also super stiff even on the lowest setting.
Sponsored