Hit the rev limiter... oops!

Riskbreakuh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
So tonight was the first time I REALLY pushed my CTR. There was a 5.0 Mustang that wanted a go so I said screw it and raced him. Needless to say he put a decent distance between us, which I knew was going to happen on a straight away but what freaked me out was how I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear. MAN I didn’t expect the CTR to hit that 7k so quickly lmao.

Anyway, having slightly bounced off the rev limiter in 3rd is now giving me anxiety, especially since it was the first time really pushing the car. I’m at 1,000 miles right now just for some extra info. Newb question, but hitting the rev limiter isn’t TOO harmful for the engine, correct?
Sponsored

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're not hitting the rev limiter from time to time, you're not trying hard enough. No, it won't hurt a thing, it's there for a reason - to protect the engine. Truth be told the engine is probably "safe" at much higher revs but it a.) won't make power that high on the stock setup and b.) Honda wants to operate the engine in a safe and the least risky manner possible. You're fine.

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Speaking of Money Shift, on our cars with rev matching, I think I did this once by accident going into the wrong gear and the car revd pretty high (happened months ago cant remember exact details especially when concentrating on the road!) not sure if i hit redline or over rev. The car is fine however how would you know what went on inside the engine? hope theres nothing..

OP
OP
Riskbreakuh

Riskbreakuh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Thanks for the response guys, this is some good info to know. I'm sitting here thinking I just lost like 5 HP from not paying attention when to shift lol :drive:

randmtsk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Type R || 2015 DGM STi - Sold || 2000 Silverstone s2000 - Sold
Country flag
It's not a biggie as others have said. Also if you watch a lot of people on the track they're always bouncing off the limiter.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I dislike hitting the rev limiter because I've lost power and time to gain momentum.

The money shot video is great, btw.

OP
OP
Riskbreakuh

Riskbreakuh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
It's not a biggie as others have said. Also if you watch a lot of people on the track they're always bouncing off the limiter.
I didn't even think about the people who bring their cars to the track lol. I'm sure they are beating on their engines hard.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
Does the CTR have a light you can program? My STI had a wicked bright yellow light on the tach that you could program. I set it for about 500 rpm below redline. If I ever saw that light I knew I was almost there and by the time I saw it and reacted the RPM was just approaching the redline.

Its not something to use as a tool as you should know the feel and sound of the car, but in a few cases where things get out of hand it was pretty nice to have.

CTR298

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2007 s2000
Country flag
Like others have said its completely safe. It used to scare me also like im about to blow the motor but Honda set the limiter to be in the safe zone
Sponsored