Nuclearthyme

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just picked up my CTR from Flow Honda not even 2 weeks ago. 43K miles but runs like a dream. Coming home from work on a dark highway doing around 55. Doe came out of the ditch, nothing I could do. Apparently, its mating season, and the deer are all over the place. Does anyone have experience with this kind of damage on a CTR? The airbags didn't deploy, I'm just hoping my CTR isn't totaled. I haven't received an estimate yet, the CTR is still sitting in storage at the tow truck yard until Monday.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hit a Deer (2017 CTR) IMG_0113.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hit a Deer (2017 CTR) IMG_0110.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hit a Deer (2017 CTR) IMG_0114.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hit a Deer (2017 CTR) IMG_0116.JPG

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If they total this car for a bumber, a hood, light and some trims and plastic bits...they are idiot...it's obvious the car isn't really impacted. Lucky that thing didn't roll over and impacted the windshield and roof.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea not even close to a total. Glad your okay! That's the most important thing. Deer literally come from nowhere lol

I'd say your looking at like 5k in damages depending on how everything behind it took a hit.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
while heatbreaking to look at...that car is not totalled. Are we going to see "on carmax Practically brand new Civic type R 2017 with 43K miles RARE for $32,000 "? in your future? What are you planning on doing TC

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I feel for ya. Up here, too, the deer are like "Hey, let's become suicide attackers and pay back those humans for all of that hunting!" I've had to take evasive action or slam on the breaks several times when one or more, sometimes three or four in a group, come bounding out of the woods and into the road. One reason I don't go very fast on most of the roads around here, especially at dawn or dusk. But even then, you can be going a reasonable speed and it still happens. Damn things are very skilled at committing suicide by car.

OP
OP

Nuclearthyme

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hoping for some good news today. Thanks for the replies everyone.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Heartbreaking my friend. All the best to you in getting it fixed. AND thank God, you can talk about it!

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I can't speak to the CTR, but living in the tri-state area (NY) I've hit a half dozen deer over the past 20+ years... Generally repairs run in the $3k-$4k range. I doubt they'll total it just make sure you get OEM parts, some insurers will go for aftermarket to save money. I don't even mind getting junkyard replacement parts as long as the body shop is a good one they can prep them so they're as good as new.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please PLEASE make sure they use OEM parts to reconstruct your car. Emphasizing unholy's point!!! Like him I've been there with body shops and fixing cars. An Insurance body shop just want to get people in and out the door. You want to use a bodyshop that guarantees its work.

even it it takes longer get your car running right!!!!

OP
OP

Nuclearthyme

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Small update! The repair shop gave me an estimate of 9 THOUSAND dollars so far. New hood, new bumper, new headlights, new radiator, new condenser, new windshield, new right fender which means the passenger door has to be painted again to match. New grill, new Type R emblems, and all the mounts and brackets that go along with that stuff.
Oh and the tow truck driver snapped the carbon fiber(faux?) splitter so I need a new one of those. Which are on backorder from Honda.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you take it to an insurance approved shop? Or your choice of shop? How long is this going to take. That sucks the splitter is on back order

OP
OP

Nuclearthyme

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah its at "select" shop for my insurance so the work is guaranteed for life. They said most of the parts should be here by Monday so hopefully not too long. I mentioned to the manager there that I'm hoping to have it back by Thanksgiving and he said that shouldnt be a problem.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
Can someone say Kangaroo bars... Maybe Type-R Rally Edition will be a thing soon...
[It's a Camry, but still... and I understand Camry's are pretty fast these days ;)]
Honda Civic 10th gen Hit a Deer (2017 CTR) 1604754949648

OP
OP

Nuclearthyme

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thought I would give everyone an update. Finally got my car back from the repair shop and they did a great job cosmetically, although I asked them not to wash it and they did anyway which installed some lovely swirl marks in the new hood. The FInal bill was 10,700$.

Drove it for about 2 days and I got 2 CELs for emissions and rev-match system errors, which caused the rev-match system to not work at all and my mpg's seem much worse than before. We have had some heavy rain here in the last couple of days and I know water can leak down from the hood to the engine cover and below but I haven't had time to get the codes read yet.
Sponsored