Highly recommend hollowing out 1st stock catalytic converter

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
So I have seen and been a part of previous posts about hollowing a cat out and everyone says not to do it for various reasons. I have been looking to buy a test pipe but just lost my job and thought, wth, lets hollow this thing out.

So there was no metal maze or anything crazy on the inside. There was a sandy feeling carbon ash type looking stuff; probably asbestos. It was kind of gritty like sand [aper.

After hollowing this thing out completely I fired her up and loved the sound. Sounded pretty much exactly as it did before; Maybe idling just at a lower rpm and a tiny bit deeper or throatier sounding. When driving or revving high I can notice a little rasp and it seems to be a tiny bit deeper; i love it, sounds a little more racey, not ricey.

It is almost like Honda designed these with the intention of hollowing them out. After hollowing it out on the inside there was a type of reducer. Looks like it goes from like 2.5 inch to the hole diameter of the canister.I drilled everything out that I possibly could and that is what remained.

I ran a test pipe on my DSM right after the motor was built and think I passed emissions anyhow, except for the visual. I have a couple buddies in the emissions testing industry so was always able to pass one way or another.

I am really impressed with the fa ct that it didn't get crazy loud; no smell of boiled eggs, and runs and sounds better. Very negligent difference in sound unless doing wide open throttle reving or pulls.

I did change the oil and do a battery pull; however, the car seems like it is running / idleing noticeably better. I was surpriseed at how much shit I pulled out of that catalytic convertor; definitely obstructed.

i didn't think to take pics of the catalytic convertor but did take pics of the internal stuff that I removed. The material inside was grey and black and dusty or ash like material, i'm sure aweful stuff, probably contains some kind of fire retardant like asbestos.

Anyway, if you've done the research and are prepared to run a test pipe; either if you don;'t have to run emissions testing or maybe have a friend in the industry, then I'd highly recommend hollowing out the cat. It is the prefect design for it and converts nicely into a test pipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Highly recommend hollowing out 1st stock catalytic converter IMG-0323.JPG
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's probably just some ceramic and mesh screens. Somewhere in there is probably a few grams of platinum.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I'm in the "I wouldn't have done that dept.". You could have sold the cat to buy a bunch of test pipes and still have money left over for some beer.

There's no asbestos in there. Some cats use a grid or screen to suspend the catalysts while others have the catalysts bound up in porous balls.

The catalysts can be recovered but it's not something I would do in my home. It generally involves acids like nitric and 37% hydrochloric acid.

w00t692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2005 TSX
Country flag
Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium are the rare metals in a Catalytic converters.

OP
OP

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Exactly right. SlowRide, I'm curious, have you seen your CEL come on now?
Yep, the CEL did finally come on. I also put E-85 in there and if I put too much in that also trips the CEL. I was hopeful that it wasn't going to come on. I would now recommend against this. Shoot, are the guys with test pipes getting the CEL as well?

OP
OP

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
I'm in the "I wouldn't have done that dept.". You could have sold the cat to buy a bunch of test pipes and still have money left over for some beer.

There's no asbestos in there. Some cats use a grid or screen to suspend the catalysts while others have the catalysts bound up in porous balls.

The catalysts can be recovered but it's not something I would do in my home. It generally involves acids like nitric and 37% hydrochloric acid.
For anyone reading this thread. This is definitely the way to do this. Again, are the guys with test pipes getting the same CEL?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, the CEL did finally come on. I also put E-85 in there and if I put too much in that also trips the CEL. I was hopeful that it wasn't going to come on. I would now recommend against this. Shoot, are the guys with test pipes getting the CEL as well?
Are you tuned for E-85? You can't just toss that stuff in there.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Are you tuned for E-85? You can't just toss that stuff in there.
Yes I can, I am an old school tuner and wouldn't do anything to fuck up my motor. I run about 7 gallons 91 and 2 gallons e-85 with no ethanol sensor. Works great, anymore e-85 and it trips check engine lights. When in doubt, do a few hard pulls, kill the motor and check a plug. plugs don't lie. Ultimately, I'd feel a lot better with an EGT guage. I think we are able to see enough peramters with our tuner to get an idea what's going on. I will get an ethanol sensor soon, actually, that'll be my next mod.

OP
OP

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
For anyone reading this thread. This is definitely the way to do this. Again, are the guys with test pipes getting the same CEL?
Now that I've got the e-85 out I am pleased. I'd sure like to put a larger flange on the other side of the cat though. It tapers down very small as it goes to the downpipe.