Highest mileage to date with 10th gen Si's?

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I originally picked up the car from dealer in 2017July. Had Hondata early in 2018 then October 2018 got the 27won bolt on touch;) then the following spring ekit and clutch. I have various tunes 8-9 that I use depending on what I am using the car for. It has more than a dozen full track days on it. Car is fantastic. It was my first Honda:).
Very interesting and helpful thanks for your input man. Nice to know that these engines and turbos can take a hard beating.
Sponsored

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any issues with gasoline direct injection (GDI)———>carbon buildup on valves? I have read a great deal about this being an issue with other automakers. I have a 2019 SI with 16,000 miles and all I have done is change the oil at around 30%. Using synthetic oil. I love this car. Closest I can get to the thrill I used to get riding my 85 KZ 1000 rice rocket. Had to sell that bike because I had the need for speed and knew how it would end if I kept riding it.
GDI in its early years had those concerns, I think if I recall correctly the Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata with the Theta 2.4L engines were of most concern with carbon build up (not sure about their 2.0 Turbo), but very few were affected and that mostly came down to how owners treated their vehicles. Using top tier gasoline and doing appropriate oil changes will make it a non-issue for the most part.

When I had my 2016 Touring with the 1.5 Turbo, I got it up to 50,000 km in the first 10 months I owned it and never had any issues. I put regular top tier gas in it. Ran like a champ. My Si I don't drive nearly as much (just under 5,000 km in 3.5 months), and always put premium gas in it. I expect it to run just as well as my Touring did. Never any issues with carbon build up in my Touring, and there's many around my area that have well over 150,000 km on their motors and all run perfect.

In other words, just enjoy it. GDI is mostly a non-issue these days with most manufacturers.

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
cool to see people are getting high miles with these cars and having no issues i know my tacoma will last but i know nothing about the si so its cool to see people not having issues this far ahead

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Any issues with gasoline direct injection (GDI)———>carbon buildup on valves? I have read a great deal about this being an issue with other automakers. I have a 2019 SI with 16,000 miles and all I have done is change the oil at around 30%. Using synthetic oil. I love this car. Closest I can get to the thrill I used to get riding my 85 KZ 1000 rice rocket. Had to sell that bike because I had the need for speed and knew how it would end if I kept riding it.
I owned a 1977 and a 1980 model KZ1000LTD. Those bikes were fast.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have almost 52,000 on my '17 SI, no issues. Purchased Aug 2017. Averaging 34.5 mpg combined, as much as 46 mpg on some drives.

Everything is still working smoothly, still on original brakes, etc. Did swap tires at about 35,000 miles. Major difference, best mod to lose the Goodyear All Seasons for Pilot Sport 4S summer rubber, More grip. A lot more, and it didn't exactly suck before. Now I can't break traction for trying. Oh yeah, on corners I thought I might run out of grip the SI held the line like glue. 'Just an economy car.' Sure it is. we know better.

Wear? Seat cushion on drivers side not quite cutting it after the first 40,000 miles, had to purchase cushion for about $ 70..
Also drivers side interior door panel scuffs easily.
Paint has held up well, which is saying something for living in the desert.
Clutch and shifter are fine.
Steering still tight.
Engine and chassis still responsive, but as always you need some finesse with gas and stick.
No rattles.

And that is why I think this is a better car than the competition.
I have a 6 year 85,000 mile Honda extended warranty, doubt I will need it.
No oil dilution issues.
No mods. Yet.
I looked at WRX, Focus RS, CTR,GTI, etc. and this car stole my heart and put my mind and wallet at ease.
A keeper. Maybe just upgrade the seats. They were fine for quite a while. And I am not that heavy, in case you were wondering.
I think the shape of them is fine, just need better material and cushioning. Everything else seems to wear very, very slowly.

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Country flag
I have about 52k miles on my 2018 si 25 months, I do the oil service when it tell me to. My front pads are about done and going to change them soon. I have the ktuner 19/23 since 20k. I found upgrading the tires were kind of a waste since I daily drive it to much and not able to appreciate it on the twisty. It has been very reliable except for the radio. It would do weird stuff like: freeze on me, apple car play sometimes doesn’t work, camera would get stuck, and etc. Biggest thing of this car is the great mpg for the fun factor of the car.

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Hit 111k today! Finally swapped my tires out. Its amazing to think that I got 100k+ out of the factory ones. ( dont get me wrong, they were really worn)

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hit 111k today! Finally swapped my tires out. Its amazing to think that I got 100k+ out of the factory ones. ( dont get me wrong, they were really worn)
dang and im lucky to get 50k out of my tires on my truck haha

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I had 97000 on my original tires before changing them out. They still have about 6/32 of tread left on so they will now become my winter tires
Forgive me for saying this, but that doesn't sound very safe.

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
that's great news then. What have you done maintenance wise to the car? Still working/feeling new? :)

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well considering tire experts say it’s adequate then I think they should be fine.. Maybe I should have said they still have almost half tread still left on them.

C27EF24C-2D5B-42D1-93DF-8949E42F9A05.png
its better to just buy proper winter tires then use some old all seasons

AJ28

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2017
Country flag
I currently have 144k. Daily driven and average ~200 miles a day. Been running a KTuner with TSP Stage 1 for quite some time! Had to swap out tires 2 times due to the camber wear with Eibach lowering springs. Car runs smooth but I think need a new clutch lol.

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
My '17 Si has over 50,000 miles and the only mods are a Hondata flash at +9 psi and a K&N cold air intake. I regularly drive from the Chicago-area to NE, MN, Detroit and KC so most of my miles are highway. Typically, on the highway, I drive at the posted speed plus 10 mph just to keep distance from most other traffic.

On highway trips, I average close to 40 mpg. My all time record, on a round trip to Detroit was 43 mpg according to the car's calculations.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I currently have 144k. Daily driven and average ~200 miles a day. Been running a KTuner with TSP Stage 1 for quite some time! Had to swap out tires 2 times due to the camber wear with Eibach lowering springs. Car runs smooth but I think need a new clutch lol.
Are you on the OEM clutch? This gives me hope if your are

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No offense to anyone, but this just goes to show if I were in the used market I would worry more about buying a gently used Si with far spread maintenance intervals and cost- cutting / reducing measures than a modified one that's well ahead on every single maintenance item...

Just my 2c from experience because I sold my mildly modified 04 Volvo S60 R for more than I bought it for after 3 years (2012 - 2015) of ownership simply because I had an online track record, and forum folks vouching for the car and myself as credible. It sold for $3.5K more than any other S60 R asking price province-wide; didn't have anything special going for it either other than how I maintained it and documented it...wasn't a low miler with shy of 130k miles, was the first year of production which was looked down on typically, and was a common / basic spec that many were produced in.

EDIT: If anyone thinks I'm being a bit rash, see that I'm coming from a perspective that just because you can survive without water for 3 days doesn't mean you should only drink water every 3 days because it saves you money on your utilities bill / buying water bottles. You are responsible for protecting your own, your passengers, and other motorists lives in a 3,000lbs metal cage going at 55+ mph typically... yet some are choosing to inch out every bit of life out of the most important components (brakes, tires, and engine oil). Sorry, and I typically don't swear here but F THAT, your penny pinching is dangerous and not acceptable because you're NOT just endangering yourself by doing that. Effing unbelievable that some are proud to make components last that long...

I'm not saying that everyone needs to drop thousands on a full blown build, but a few hundred for decent tires (new or used), and new brake pads sub-$50 a set is doable for everyone the moment either of the items are below recommended wear. We all know money is tight right now for the world, but no one has in the last 3 weeks since Covid arrived done 100k miles at 33k/miles weekly, so this isn't new these are old habits that you should stop.

Rant End. Have a Good Day, stay safe and healthy during these times :)
Sponsored

Last edited: