High Speed Stability is Off After Flat Tire?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
So an update on this: I've had two alignments, got a new factory wheel and tire, and had my summer tires rebalanced and remounted. Even with the summer tires on, I'm still seeing the car pull gently to the right when I step on the gas. It's an annoyance when cruising, but when driving aggressively, it feels dangerously unpredictable. The car straightens out as a let up off the throttle, and pulls lightly to the right when I step down.

I have an appointment on Monday to have the tie rod, lower control arm, and associated bushings looked over. Even if they find nothing, I may just have them replaced them for piece of mind anyway.

How likely is it that a high speed impact strong enough to blow out the tire could've also damaged a tie rod or control arm (or bushing)? Anything else that I should have them look at? Wheel bearings? Upper control arms (do we have upper control arms)?
Sponsored

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That sucks man, keep us informed. Have you had anyone else drive and confirm your findings?
Just the first Honda tech that looked at it. Hopefully this guy on Monday notices it and finds the problem.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So an update on this: I've had two alignments, got a new factory wheel and tire, and had my summer tires rebalanced and remounted. Even with the summer tires on, I'm still seeing the car pull gently to the right when I step on the gas. It's an annoyance when cruising, but when driving aggressively, it feels dangerously unpredictable. The car straightens out as a let up off the throttle, and pulls lightly to the right when I step down.

I have an appointment on Monday to have the tie rod, lower control arm, and associated bushings looked over. Even if they find nothing, I may just have them replaced them for piece of mind anyway.

How likely is it that a high speed impact strong enough to blow out the tire could've also damaged a tie rod or control arm (or bushing)? Anything else that I should have them look at? Wheel bearings? Upper control arms (do we have upper control arms)?
This might be a stupid question, but do you have all new summer tires or are you running one "new" tire and three older ones? I ask because I ended up with a brand new tire on the front with the three other tires having around 3600 miles on them because of almost the exact same situation you described. I encountered a little of what you're talking about. I rotated my tires, so the newer one is on the back, and I don't have the pull you describe anymore.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This might be a stupid question, but do you have all new summer tires or are you running one "new" tire and three older ones? I ask because I ended up with a brand new tire on the front with the three other tires having around 3600 miles on them because of almost the exact same situation you described. I encountered a little of what you're talking about. I rotated my tires, so the newer one is on the back, and I don't have the pull you describe anymore.
No worries. The other 3 tires are only a couple of months old, and the tread on the front tires and rear tires both match (8/32's in both fronts, 7.5/32's in both rears). The issue also occurs with my all season tires/wheels, so I've ruled tires/wheels out at this time.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
Cars will pull slightly to the right because of the crown in the road. Is the shake gone now? Good luck finding the problem

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cars will pull slightly to the right because of the crown in the road. Is the shake gone now? Good luck finding the problem
Shake is gone. I think that what I notice most after the impact is that it even if I angle the steering wheel a couple of degrees to the left of center, when I hit the throttle, it starts tugging to the right. If I let up off the throttle the nose visibly shifts back towards the left.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Shake is gone. I think that what I notice most after the impact is that it even if I angle the steering wheel a couple of degrees to the left of center, when I hit the throttle, it starts tugging to the right. If I let up off the throttle the nose visibly shifts back towards the left.
Any update man? I’m having same issue but opposite direction. Thanks

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After a look, the Honda dealer didn't see anything. They said that they shifted the centering of the steering wheel slightly to the left to better account for the crowning of the road.

Maybe I'm just nuts? I don't know what to believe anymore.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
After a look, the Honda dealer didn't see anything. They said that they shifted the centering of the steering wheel slightly to the left to better account for the crowning of the road.

Maybe I'm just nuts? I don't know what to believe anymore.
Did this help? This is what my dealer is telling me to do as well lol

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did this help? This is what my dealer is telling me to do as well lol
Maybe? I'm unsure. The issue is really subtle - after such a major impact to the wheel, I'm paying really close attention to things. As such, I'm not sure what's actually a new problem, and what predates the accident.

At this point the only thing that I can think of doing is to start replacing the suspension components in that corner, and I'd rather not do that on a 6 month old car.

Stupid debris in the stupid highway. :(

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
At this point the only thing that I can think of doing is to start replacing the suspension components in that corner, and I'd rather not do that on a 6 month old car.

Stupid debris in the stupid highway. :(
I hear you on the road debris. Within my first 6 months of ownership (~3k miles), my entire front end got replaced due to a tire tread in the fast lane on the highway. It sucks indeed. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Sponsored