High Speed Stability is Off After Flat Tire?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi All. I recently experienced a blow-out of my front passenger side tire. I was driving along the highway at night and hit a grapefruit-sized rock in the middle of the lane. It did enough damage to the tire and wheel that it necessitated that I put my set of all season tires/wheels back on while I shop around for a replacement. The all seasons should still be perfectly balanced from this past winter, and I just had an alignment done following the incident.

Everything should be working perfectly, but I feel like my high-speed stability is off. The car previously felt like a rock, even at triple digit speeds. Now, I feel like there's a mild shimmy/shake that starts at around 65-70 mph. The guy that did my alignment noticed that the rock had cracked the underside of my side skirt, but did not see any additional damage.

Is there anything else beside balancing and alignment that could be compromising my stability like this?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hi All. I recently experienced a blow-out of my front passenger side tire. I was driving along the highway at night and hit a grapefruit-sized rock in the middle of the lane. It did enough damage to the tire and wheel that it necessitated that I put my set of all season tires/wheels back on while I shop around for a replacement. The all seasons should still be perfectly balanced from this past winter, and I just had an alignment done following the incident.

Everything should be working perfectly, but I feel like my high-speed stability is off. The car previously felt like a rock, even at triple digit speeds. Now, I feel like there's a mild shimmy/shake that starts at around 65-70 mph. The guy that did my alignment noticed that the rock had cracked the underside of my side skirt, but did not see any additional damage.

Is there anything else beside balancing and alignment that could be compromising my stability like this?

So you hit something hard enough to damage both tire and possibly wheel? Have your suspension and alignment checked.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you hit something hard enough to damage both tire and possibly wheel? Have your suspension and alignment checked.
Alignment was redone yesterday. Anything in particular on the suspension that could be prone to damage?

xc1v1cx

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but are the all season rims hub-centric? I've heard of that kind of behavior for rims without hub rings.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Recheck the tire balances and air pressure on your all-seasons?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but are the all season rims hub-centric? I've heard of that kind of behavior for rims without hub rings.
That’s a good question. They’re Motegi MR924’s - I am admittedly unsure if they are hubcentric or not.

xc1v1cx

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
That’s a good question. They’re Motegi MR924’s - I am admittedly unsure if they are hubcentric or not.
Ahh in that case you should be good there. I have a set of those too and they do not require hub rings.

Good luck with getting it resolved- hopefully it isn't something pricey!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Alignment was redone yesterday. Anything in particular on the suspension that could be prone to damage?
That's where my expertise ends unfortunately. I wouldn't be able to tell you what specific suspension components would be broken since the event cause a huge shock to go through the entire suspension components.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Could be a bent tie rod. Alignment won't fix that.
Wouldn't you see this on the alignment though?

Maybe the alignment was done improperly? Have you checked the lug nuts? Double check they're all tight and torqued properly if someone else did it.

Also tire pressures. Might also want to check tread depth? Front axle has LSD, tires have to be within a couple of mm's in depth of each other.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wouldn't you see this on the alignment though?

Maybe the alignment was done improperly? Have you checked the lug nuts? Double check they're all tight and torqued properly if someone else did it.

Also tire pressures. Might also want to check tread depth? Front axle has LSD, tires have to be within a couple of mm's in depth of each other.
They let me watch them align it - the numbers on the computer all looked green. My steering wheel is still slightly off to the right - not sure if this is alignment related?

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A/S tires might have softer sidewall/more tread squirm than performance summer tires also. I don't know if it'd be that noticeable though. Snow tires are very noticeable...
Sponsored