Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si HFP 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I´m not sure if it´s becasue its getting cold out (I live in Montreal its dipped below zero in the past few weeks overnight and the mornings are around 2 degrees celcius) or if its something to do with my car. I drive a 2018 Civic Si. Basically when I push start my car the RPM goes up to about 2000 and stays there for a while it only settles back to the normal spot when once ive driven for a while. It´s only off of coldstarts that I get this issue.

Thanks for the input,
-Daniel
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Yeah, my car does that too. It seems to be how Honda handles the problems that a cold engine causes. I just let it sit until the engine RPMs drop to around 1200. Then I'm off.

Oil circulation is a big worry, but so is expansion and contraction. Especially with an aluminum engine. That's why I wait until the engine is warm enough for the computer to drop the RPMs.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Mine just started doing this on and off as well (depending on how cold it is outside).

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I´m not sure if it´s becasue its getting cold out (I live in Montreal its dipped below zero in the past few weeks overnight and the mornings are around 2 degrees celcius) or if its something to do with my car. I drive a 2018 Civic Si. Basically when I push start my car the RPM goes up to about 2000 and stays there for a while it only settles back to the normal spot when once ive driven for a while. It´s only off of coldstarts that I get this issue.

Thanks for the input,
-Daniel
It's normal. I also have a Camry SE and Sienna (both V6's) and they do the same thing, so does my Si, and it does not get that cold here in California (this morning it was 55 degrees F). The idle goes down in a few minutes

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Yes its cold engine related. Its as much "engine" warm up as it is "exhaust warm up" to get the car emissions compliant (low) as quickly as possible. Most new cars have a high cold warm up.. up to 2,000rpm.. and slowly coming back down to traditional idle speed (700-900rpm)

GypsyR19

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS, '18 6M-Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Every new vehicle we have (Civic, Camaro, Silverado) does same thing.

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
It is the Catalyst heating Mode. Passing Federal emissions standards is all about getting the substrate inside the catalytic converter "lit-off" as soon as possible. The combination of high rpm and retarded spark timing can get the cat over 200C in less than 15 seconds

Dave

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input,
-Daniel
Yeah, my car does that too. It seems to be how Honda handles the problems that a cold engine causes. I just let it sit until the engine RPMs drop to around 1200. Then I'm off.

Oil circulation is a big worry, but so is expansion and contraction. Especially with an aluminum engine. That's why I wait until the engine is warm enough for the computer to drop the RPMs.
Same here.That's why the oil is 0W20 the zero means it's thin when cold so you don't have thick oil at start up. Start up is when one of the most damaging times for the engine.

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
Even the worst-designed engine gets pressurized oil to every bearing in the engine within 5 seconds of a cold-start. This is theoretically a concern, but for all practical purposes you don't have to worry about it; and you certainly do not have to wait more than 5 seconds from a cold-start to start driving. Just take it easy until the coolant gets up to temp.

Dave

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
This couldve been alot shorter answers....

"Normal behavior" would be the answer...

If your engine didnt do that, id say you have a problem.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input,
-Daniel
First car? That’s completely normal
Sponsored