High Pitched Whine/Noise at Highway Cruising Speed?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never noticed it until I installed FMIC, Charge Pipe Upgrade, and RMM. Seems like we have the RMM in common which makes me want to put the stock one back in to see if I still hear it.
I have stock everything minus a catback exhaust, and it's present on my car.
Sponsored

Bagels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have stock everything minus a catback exhaust, and it's present on my car.
Yep, I noticed it stock too. The RMM just made the whine more noticeable.

Going to try Amsoil in the trans/diff during my next maintenance window - will report back if that changes anything.

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
Its the turbo it whine on light to no boost. If u let go of the gas it stops so thats not the trans cause if it was it would make noise even with foot off the gas. Also when your driving aggressive you wont hear it or when your driving and making boost. Im pretty sure its just the turbo. Its normal for turbos to make whinny noises. I wouldnt be worried about it.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its the turbo it whine on light to no boost. If u let go of the gas it stops so thats not the trans cause if it was it would make noise even with foot off the gas. Also when your driving aggressive you wont hear it or when your driving and making boost. Im pretty sure its just the turbo. Its normal for turbos to make whinny noises. I wouldnt be worried about it.
Why is it only noticeable in 6th gear?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Why is it only noticeable in 6th gear?
Lower gear (even at the same RPM) might put a heavier load on the motor (due to mechanical advantage/disadvantage) due to gearing. If there is a heavier load on the motor, this would increase exhaust pressure which means the turbo is spooling a little harder. That's really the only thing that comes to mind for me.

Edit: I do get the whining as well when in 6th gear when I'm going around 65-75.

Last edited:

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW FK8
Country flag
It probably goes away when you lift of the throttle because the manifold builds enough vacuum to open the blow off valve which equalises the air pressure on both sides of the turbo compressor wheel.

All I hear is road noise and a little gear whine at 100kmh/60mph. With the windows rolled down at lower speeds I can hear some strange turbo induction noises on light throttle. They disappear when you lift off the throttle completely.

Bagels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Huh, makes sense but just weird that I've never noticed that before on other cars. Thanks all for the the helpful replies!

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just notice the “whir” at low speeds usually pulling out of the neighborhood when I let off the throttle and it’s reving down to lower speeds. I never notice it unless I’m going slow and not on the throttle which seems to be different than several reports I’ve read.

The back pressure would make more sense with the throttle off and slowing in gear. The noise is not present at idle and if it’s present on the highway I don’t hear it

It’s obviously a normal sound of the car. I can’t speak to stock as I was modded the same time I purchased the car and have continued to mod even more so since day one. I never hear the noise under acceleration though it goes away.

It’s not concerning to me just a bit irritable at times like the few occasions when my brakes will squeak which is very rare. Anyone’s dealership able to pin down what creates the noise?

Last edited:

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
I have not but am fairly confident it is not the windshield.
I once had a whine groan that sounded like my transmission was going out on my Element. Ended up being a shitty caulking job on my windshield.

tran1025

First Name
Twrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OWP Civic Si
Country flag
This is normal for that 66-67mph whine/howl @ 6th gear right? Just started noticing it in my type R and found this thread. Was there any fix? Did it cause any damage long term?

TouV

First Name
Tou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Bringing this back from the dead. So the whining noise is normal in these fk8s then? Nothing to worry about?
Sponsored