High Pitched Whine/Noise at Highway Cruising Speed?

patriotsfan82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Couoe
Howdy!

Fresh new CTR owner here (brought it home today!).

On the way home (a decent stretch of highway), I noticed that between 60-67 (worst at 66&67 or so), if the car is under slight throttle while just cruising, a somewhat high-pitched whine develops in the cabin. Hard to tell where it is coming from (somewhere into my right ear).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed such a thing.
Sponsored

bigbadberry3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Country flag
Have the exact same thing. Right of my ear sounds like a whistling from 60 to 65 mph.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
The only high pitched whine sound at speed in mine normally comes from her in the passenger seat!:)

Is it infamous B pillar rattle near the seat belt point you are talking about?

bigbadberry3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Country flag
The only high pitched whine sound at speed in mine normally comes from her in the passenger seat!:)

Is it infamous B pillar rattle near the seat belt point you are talking about?
Mine is purely a whine whistle, 0 rattle.

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Mine does the same, sounds like its coming from the tranny, I'm not really concerned tbh

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
noise from the Diff has been reported and is what it is, but if its a whistle over the right ear, maybe check the window seals etc...

OP
OP

patriotsfan82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
noise from the Diff has been reported and is what it is, but if its a whistle over the right ear, maybe check the window seals etc...
Don't know that its a diff noise.

Really my first post doesn't quite describe the noise correctly. It's not a "buzz" or a "whine" - it's more like a very specific resonating frequency, like a tuning fork or something.

Going to try to capture it on audio here at some point.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I get a buzz/vibration at certain RPM, but haven't noticed it at a constant cruise speed because I am well below the RPM to cause the buzz then

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get a buzz/vibration at certain RPM, but haven't noticed it at a constant cruise speed because I am well below the RPM to cause the buzz then
When I accelerate hard the car makes a menacing sort of buzzing sound once the RPM passes 4.5k RPM. The car vibrates more and I think the buzzing is things rattling. You really have to wring the engine to get it to make the sound though.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I get the whine sometimes. I thought it was the turbo, but that doesn't really make sense as the boost gauge will show no boost but I'll still hear the whine in cruise control. Heard it a lot this morning doing about 55-60 mph.

This is separate from the whine I'll get from the stereo sometimes if I'm streaming over Bluetooth and have the volume all the way up.

Doesn't really bother me unless I start focusing on it. If someone could find a fix, that would be swell.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
I have the same whine. It's more distinct if I've been driving a while and tranny/diff is warm.
Had my dealer for a ride to show them, but it rained like hell that day and we couldn't hear it.

OP
OP

patriotsfan82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fears somewhat confirmed then I guess - it's an issue on other cars, and just from it's nature I don't imagine a dealer being able to do anything about it. Nonetheless will hopefully get it in to be looked at in 2 weeks or so.

About the only negative I have with car so far, so I'll hold out hope until they tell me they can't hear it or don't know how to fix it :)

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I get a buzzing/static noise every time I apply gas. You can hear it noticeably at low speed.

Driver346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
Howdy!

Fresh new CTR owner here (brought it home today!).

On the way home (a decent stretch of highway), I noticed that between 60-67 (worst at 66&67 or so), if the car is under slight throttle while just cruising, a somewhat high-pitched whine develops in the cabin. Hard to tell where it is coming from (somewhere into my right ear).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed such a thing.
Also a fresh new CTR owner here (brought it home yesterday :D ) I am having exactly the same issue that you've described. In fact, the sound is also most noticeable to me at 66mph and 67mph, just like yours, which is very interesting. As you mentioned, it does sound like a tuning fork noise. I also drove home along a decent stretch of highway after taking delivery and I noticed it then. So I searched tonight and I found this post.

Have you found out anything else about the noise? Did you bring it to your dealer? I reached out to my dealer tonight and asked them about it. I'm going to bring mine in to my local dealer next week. I'll update this post with further details of what I find.

Otherwise, my new car is a blast. I'm loving every minute behind the wheel.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Hopefully it is a simple fix.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I too have this. I just chalk it up to less sound deadining. Hopefully you can find a fix.
Sponsored