High pitch noise coming from transmission + transmission grinds?

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
Hi guys,

So my 2019 has always made this weird high pitched noise coming from the front of the car ever since I got it with 13 miles on it. It sounds something like when a brake pad is getting too low and starts to hit the indicator but it's not quite as extreme as that. It occurs when I'm driving with the transmission in gear and take my foot off the gas to start coasting. If I put the car in neutral it takes about .5 - 1 second but then the noise quiets down. It'll also get quieter if I'm coasting and then put my foot back on the gas. It doesn't really matter what MPH I'm driving at - it's always kind of there. It's harder to hear if there is lots of traffic or music playing.

I don't know if it's connected but my transmission in the first 1,300 miles has had one instance of 2nd gear grind during slow/leisurely driving and about 4-5 grinds during fast shifts (also 1st to 2nd). In fact, I'm even hesitant to try and shift fast from first to second because each time I do it pretty much grinds. I know it's not my driving - all my cars from age 16 to 35 have been manuals and it's never been an issue - both my 2019 WRX, and 2017 MX5 never had any transmission grinds.

I've read a lot about clutch master cylinder modifications and changing out the oil, but it sucks to think about making changes to a car that has 1,300 miles on it. I took it in to the dealership down the road (Beaverton Honda) and the service guy had never heard of any issues with what I was describing. Has anybody else experienced it or know what it might be? Any chance it could be connected to the transmission?
Sponsored

HONDA X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I would take it in and have it checked by a reputable Honda dealership. That is very unusual what your experiencing. Even all those people that are having transmission problems with their CTR is like one in a million.

I totally agree with that service guy a Beavermont Honda the CTR has no issues as of date. As far as the clutch mod it’s not necessary and mainly for performance but if your a good race car driver it shouldn’t matter.

Last edited:

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hi. there is some issue here; mine never makes any noises like that (now 10k miles). if i had to guess i'd bet on defective throw out bearing or something wrong with the pressure plate and it's not totally fully releasing right away when you clutch in. take to dealer and they should be able to sort it out for you good luck man!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you get a video? My transmission likes to do funny things once in a while but this isn't one of them.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good luck. I've had grinds since 300 miles in. All at slow shifts doing like 10-18mph. Honda gives me the old "could not replicate" when I take it in. I even have a bunch of them on YouTube recorded by my dash cam showing in shifting at slow speeds.

incinerator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 1997 Del Sol Si
Country flag
My 2019 made a similar sound when new, especially on cold days. It was so loud I thought about bringing it into the dealer, but NVH in general was still improving with break-in, so I just turned up the radio.

Not sure when I stopped hearing it but I'm at 4100 miles and everything has settled down. YMMV of course.

I wouldn't worry about a couple of gear grinds. You learned that you can't rush the 1->2 shift, one of the reasons this car isn't great from 0-60. 1st gear is practically useless on every Honda manual I've owned (even motorcycles). I only use it from a dead stop.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
the off throttle high pitched metallic rattle/pinging noise is normal unless it's something else. This car has many weird noises that are "normal".

Also cant slam the 1>2 shift. Need to slow it down. Could be a dealbreaker for some.

Rainman1996

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just wondering if you ever found the cause of this? Or if it is truly normal? I have a 17, with 4200 miles on it and mine is having the exact noise you described.
Sponsored