Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Car: Honda Civic 1.5T CVT Hatchback

Background

I've been using Hondata Flashpro for a little over 5 months now. I purchased the device from one of reputable tuners in my country. He mentioned that many tuned Civic Gen.10 in my country experienced connecting rod damage due to excessive boost pressure. He defined excessive as in 21 PSI and higher. He stated that he would tune my Flashpro with no change in boost but only fuel tuning. Unfortunately, he wasn't entirely honest as he only flashed +6 PSI High Octane basemap.

I've been trying to learn how to tune my car since then but very confused because there were may parameters need to look at.

I decided to purchased TSP Stage-1 Tune for Non-SI. I thought this is a safe canned tune that I could rely on because many Civic X member use this tune, either in KTuner or Flashpro platform.

BUT..... There is no other country has tuned Civic X with damaged conrod due to excessive boost (21 PSI and higher) like in my country.

I tried to read TSP Stage-1 Tune binary file and found some worrying factors. First, peak boost is 23 PSI, & second, torque limit from 3,500 RPM was set higher than Hondata safe threshold of 250 Nm.

I know there is still no hard facts/evidence that proofs 250 nm is really maximum torque that CVT can handle but no other member from other countries but my country heard about tuned Civic X with damaged conrod.

So, better safe than sorry, I try to learn how to tune the basic parts such as AFM, Boost pressure, and Torque limit.

Environment:
  • Ambient Temperature: 26 Celcius to 35 Celcius
  • Humidity : 72% - 83%

19 PSI Tune Version 1.01

Basemap used :
+3 PSI Hondata basemap

Modifications Selected:
  • Optimized Turbo Response
  • Improved Throttle Response

Changes made:
  • Closed Loop : Select "Use MAP to determine WOT"
  • AFM : AFM adjusted so that my S.Trim is within spec. Currently, it is better than S.Trim when I was using Hondata +3 PSI Basemap calibration.
  • Boost Pressure : Conservative boost from 500 - 2500 RPM. Boost start to pick up from 2750 RPM and gradually reached approx. 19,2 PSI at 5500 RPM. Boost decrease starting 6000 RPM
  • Torque Limit: Torque limit is set at 240 Nm from 500 to 1750 RPM, went up to 245 at 2000 RPM. Torque limit is set at 250 Nm from 2250 to 6000 RPM, 245 at 6500 RPM, and 240 at 7000 RPM.

I enjoy the tune so far and I think the datalog show decent result but I just have a feeling that the tune still can be optimized as I didn't touch fuel and ignition tuning.

I know that Hondata Flashpro platform for Civic 1.5T is not as popular as Civic but I do hope someone in Civic X forum who can help provide insights on what I could still improve from this 19 PSI tune.

I hope this threat could bring some excitement back to Hondata Flashpro section and could also be use as learning materials for both Flashpro and KTuner users.

Looking forward for your feedback. :)
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I made some adjustments from Civic Turbo International CVT 2016, +6 psi high octane base calibration.

The adjustment that I did was:
  • WOT Lambda Adjustment low
  • Air Temperature compensation
  • MAP to determine WOT
  • Rev Limits adjusted
  • AFM
  • TC maximum pressure ratio adjusted
  • Torque setting
Everything ran fine and parameters within tolerance until the 3rd pull. Knock control raised to 97% (Cursor: 20:59) and knock count went up from 5 to 10 before the 3rd pull.

Fuel always 98 RON (approx. 93 octane)

Attached is the calibration and datalog.

Appreciate your input.

Attachments

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
I made some adjustments from Civic Turbo International CVT 2016, +6 psi high octane base calibration.

The adjustment that I did was:
  • WOT Lambda Adjustment low
  • Air Temperature compensation
  • MAP to determine WOT
  • Rev Limits adjusted
  • AFM
  • TC maximum pressure ratio adjusted
  • Torque setting
Everything ran fine and parameters within tolerance until the 3rd pull. Knock control raised to 97% (Cursor: 20:59) and knock count went up from 5 to 10 before the 3rd pull.

Fuel always 98 RON (approx. 93 octane)

Attached is the calibration and datalog.

Appreciate your input.
how much boost are u pushing? i m still on TSP stage 1 and enjoying it but i do monitor it everytime n being carefull on Knock control.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
in Italy we are having the same problem, it is likely that the stoppage for the covid caused really bad lots of fuel

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how much boost are u pushing? i m still on TSP stage 1 and enjoying it but i do monitor it everytime n being carefull on Knock control.
20 PSI. I'm using E-Tunez tuning service to help me tune the car. I know the sentiment on E-Tunez in this forum is not convincing but it turns out great. Steve from E-Tunez calibrate the car and now it performs better in terms of driving experience and MPG compare to stock.

in Italy we are having the same problem, it is likely that the stoppage for the covid caused really bad lots of fuel
I'm sorry to hear about COVID-19 infection in Italy.

We are not under full lockdown restriction but I do agree with you that fuel in the gas pump might be spoiled because slow turnover of gas consumption.

The issue has been solved with the help from professional tuner though. Highest knock control now is 75% after 3 pulls. Average temperature between 27 and 33 Celcius.
Sponsored