Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Both knock count and knock control should be monitored. 1 thing to note regarding knock count is the ratio between the number of count against the driving time, and knock control itself. Example: you don't need to worry with 10 knock counts in 1 hours of driving but it is concerning if you are getting 10 knock counts in 10 seconds.

Knock control will be higher than normal in the first 10 minutes of drive (approximately) after fresh reflash usually about .59 knock control. Knock control usually hovers around .6 - .79 when driving +5000 RPM.
no k count for certain regions k control yes .. ah here comes the HD motorsports boss to civicx . . . i was told it's very easy to tune a fwd car hmmm
Sponsored

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Sorry for reviving this thread but
Does high boost give higher knock control?
for example using 18psi vs 21 psi . Both drive the same way/style.

Diegooosiso

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic hatch sport 2020
Country flag
Knock count isn't what I'd concentrate on. If you had 35 "knocks" in a matter of seconds it could be an issue. On an hour long drive, it isn't a big deal. Knock control is a big deal but you have to understand how it works. First off, when you upload a new tune, it will start out at .59 and then settle as you drive it sedately for a bit.

Knock Control will climb for various reasons. Lower octane or low quality gas, going up hills or load, high ambient temps, etc...

As far as you hitting 1.05 and then it not settling below .85, here's my best guesses.

1. Being in California you were using 91 octane at most (btw always use the best quality gas you can buy and buy from a busy station). The 91 likely means you mostly won't see .49 on an aggressive tune.

2. You just loaded the tune and were pushing the tune hard to test it's capabilities. Multiple WOT pulls, etcetera.

3. It probably was fairly warm outside during your drive and you possibly live in a hilly area.

And then there's this. On a non-Si, knock control is designed to shoot up anytime you accelerate past 5300 rpm or so. It's a safety feature to protect the engine. If you continue to push you car hard, knock control will continue to rise.

It's always best to monitor knock control and when you see it go up, back off for a bit until it settles back down. And if it's especially hot outside, don't push it quite as hard because turbos heat soak like mad and bog down. High knock control means reduces power.

As a experiment, take a 30 minute drive and just drive normally with maybe one WOT pull. Do a datalog and post it here or simply report back with your knock control numbers.
What if I have .99-1.04 when driving normal and .66-.70 when driving hard

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's what shitty gas will do to your k. Con. 93 Shell gas. Never again at that station!

Honda Civic 10th gen high knock control and knock count? 20230703_133539

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2018 Sedan
Country flag
Here's what shitty gas will do to your k. Con. 93 Shell gas. Never again at that station!

20230703_133539.jpg
So were you able to get it down after going to another gas station? I am assuming maybe it might be my city. I so far tried one different gas station this one about $1 more in 91 premium than the one I always used.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So were you able to get it down after going to another gas station? I am assuming maybe it might be my city. I so far tried one different gas station this one about $1 more in 91 premium than the one I always used.
Yes. It's happened a couple times since I was tuned. Even though it was a Shell, which is what I almost always use, the gas that day definitely had some issues.

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag

20230703_133539.jpg

I've noticed if I run 1.5 gallons of E85 and the rest of the tank with 93, My count stays at .49/.50 regardless of my driving on Phearable 1.5R.

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2018 Sedan
Country flag
Yes. It's happened a couple times since I was tuned. Even though it was a Shell, which is what I almost always use, the gas that day definitely had some issues.
Hmmm I see this is the 2nd time it has happened to me and I’m on tsp stage 2 tune. I guess I just have to keep jumping around on gas.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've noticed if I run 1.5 gallons of E85 and the rest of the tank with 93, My count stays at .49/.50 regardless of my driving on Phearable 1.5R.
That's good to know. I have never tried adding E85 before. I guess it's OK with that small amount?

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
That's good to know. I have never tried adding E85 before. I guess it's OK with that small amount?

On the Phearable website it recommends adding up to 1.5 Gallons of E85 if Octane rating is lower than 93. I've always done it since having a rising knock count with spirited drives on just straight 93.
Sponsored