inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I don't think so. The car is a Month old
Check.

If the "pro" installed a relay, they must have had undone the battery terminals.
Random complete loss of power is when your battery is suddenly unhooked, and the slew of errors come up when the car is rebooted after the battery is reconnected.

Also, this is exactly the reason why cheap HID systems are a stupid idea. "HAHA MY $12 HID SYSTEM IS JUST AS GOOD AS YOUR $100 BRAND-NAME SHIT AYY LMAO"...yeah, no.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ive had my Morimoto HID kit in for a week and half and no issues so far. I did the Canbus install rather than the relay though.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Very common in fact...google "HID kit problem car is stalling"

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Ive had my Morimoto HID kit in for a week and half and no issues so far. I did the Canbus install rather than the relay though.
You might want to connect the relay harness as opposed to Canbus, which our cars don't need. I have the same kit w/ the relay harness option & 4500K bulbs.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might want to connect the relay harness as opposed to Canbus, which our cars don't need. I have the same kit w/ the relay harness option & 4500K bulbs.
curious as to why? Does it matter? Canbus has worked fine now for 3 weeks?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
curious as to why? Does it matter? Canbus has worked fine now for 3 weeks?
Because our cars don't have canbus. It's working fine because there's nothing to work with lol.

The relay is a power management thing, whereas the Canbus is to remove errors if your car is equipped with it.

They're totally different things.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What inv4zn said.
Ok, but it works and I dont feel like wiring the relay in right now. Im assuming all its doing it putting the load on the existing lighting system instead of drawing power from the battery directly. Its not hurting the car though is it?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Ok, but it works and I dont feel like wiring the relay in right now. Im assuming all its doing it putting the load on the existing lighting system instead of drawing power from the battery directly. Its not hurting the car though is it?
If you've already made up your mind then why bother continually asking for verification.

The reason for the relay is that the initial current spike to ignite the ballasts may be higher than whatever the halogen bulb draws constantly. If this current draw exceeds whatever the stock wiring harness gauge's limit is, you've fried your wires and potentially have a fire.

The relay eliminates that possibility.

But yeah, if the Canbus is working fine then just stick with that. Fuck what we say, right?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you've already made up your mind then why bother continually asking for verification.

The reason for the relay is that the initial current spike to ignite the ballasts may be higher than whatever the halogen bulb draws constantly. If this current draw exceeds whatever the stock wiring harness gauge's limit is, you've fried your wires and potentially have a fire.

The relay eliminates that possibility.

But yeah, if the Canbus is working fine then just stick with that. Fuck what we say, right?
whoa there bro. No need to get salty with me. I was asking questions. I didnt say fuck anything you said. This is a place to ask questions, educate others and ourselves. And no I didnt make my mind up already. Thats how I installed them for now, and I was just trying to verify that I wasnt going ruin my harness with this temporary set up

And thank you for the explanation of of the current spike to ignite the ballast. That's really all I was asking, and the original reply about being a "power management" thing didn't really answer the question. When I read your description that tells me I really need to get the relay installed now so I dont burn my car to the ground!

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
whoa there bro. No need to get salty with me. I was asking questions. I didnt say fuck anything you said. This is a place to ask questions, educate others and ourselves. And no I didnt make my mind up already. Thats how I installed them for now, and I was just trying to verify that I wasnt going ruin my harness with this temporary set up

And thank you for the explanation of of the current spike to ignite the ballast. That's really all I was asking, and the original reply about being a "power management" thing didn't really answer the question. When I read your description that tells me I really need to get the relay installed now so I dont burn my car to the ground!
If that's the case, my bad.

There are so many people (both on here and elsewhere) where they come on and say things like "I did this, I think I know it's bad, but I want you guys to tell me that it's still ok".

"My tires are super bald and winter is coming, but I think I'll get new tires next year!" and when people like me tell them it's a terrible idea they get all defensive.

The point is I don't want anybody's car catching fire - if I have to be an ass about it, then I will. But you're right, I was assuming things about you, and for that I apologize.

Get the relay, it's a safety issue. You'll have guys say things like "I ran my HIDs without relays for 49 years and it was fine!"...but it's like $20 and fully reversible, and very easy to install. If you're gonna do it, do it right!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If that's the case, my bad.

There are so many people (both on here and elsewhere) where they come on and say things like "I did this, I think I know it's bad, but I want you guys to tell me that it's still ok".

"My tires are super bald and winter is coming, but I think I'll get new tires next year!" and when people like me tell them it's a terrible idea they get all defensive.

The point is I don't want anybody's car catching fire - if I have to be an ass about it, then I will. But you're right, I was assuming things about you, and for that I apologize.

Get the relay, it's a safety issue. You'll have guys say things like "I ran my HIDs without relays for 49 years and it was fine!"...but it's like $20 and fully reversible, and very easy to install. If you're gonna do it, do it right!
We good! My morimoto kit came with the relay too. I just installed them canbus so I could see how they looked and get rid of the trash LEDs I had put in. Ill take it over to a lighting shop after I get it back from Honda today and have them wire the relay and professionally mount the ballasts.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
We good! My morimoto kit came with the relay too. I just installed them canbus so I could see how they looked and get rid of the trash LEDs I had put in. Ill take it over to a lighting shop after I get it back from Honda today and have them wire the relay and professionally mount the ballasts.
The proper way to do it - you're better off than 90% of people on the internet haha

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Installed a 35w 5000k hids without relay. 7 months and no problem so far. *touch wood*
Sponsored