Hidden Features/Quirks you did not know about the Honda 2017 Civic

Islander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T manual, 2016 Fit EX
I have a 2018 EX-T sedan so I'm not sure if this is the same in 2017's but it might be. I parked on a cool, cloudy morning with the windows all the way up. I got back in the afternoon when it had turned sunny and hot and all 4 windows were lowered just a crack to vent the excess heat. I guess that the interior temperature sensors for the HVAC are set to do this when the temperature rises rapidly when parked. Now I'm wondering if they would have rolled back up it it sat long enough to cool off in the evening.
Sponsored

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I have a 2018 EX-T sedan so I'm not sure if this is the same in 2017's but it might be. I parked on a cool, cloudy morning with the windows all the way up. I got back in the afternoon when it had turned sunny and hot and all 4 windows were lowered just a crack to vent the excess heat. I guess that the interior temperature sensors for the HVAC are set to do this when the temperature rises rapidly when parked. Now I'm wondering if they would have rolled back up it it sat long enough to cool off in the evening.
Interesting. My 2017 Touring Sedan doesn't do that. And if it rains and the windows are down?

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
More likely that you pressed that the key fob unlock button was held down to lower the windows a bit. They don't just automatically go down...

Islander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. My 2017 Touring Sedan doesn't do that. And if it rains and the windows are down?
They were just barely down, like 1/4 inch or so. I think that there's enough overhang at the door top to keep rain out at that opening. Again, I wonder if the interior was cool if they would have gone back up. A rainfall would likely cool the interior off.

Islander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More likely that you pressed that the key fob unlock button was held down to lower the windows a bit. They don't just automatically go down...
I suppose that's possible, but it would have been entirely accidental since I didn't know that the windows would lower using the key fob at that time. I usually just grab the door handle to unlock and leave the fob in my pocket. I'll have to see if it happens again when the same weather conditions happen.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
They were just barely down, like 1/4 inch or so. I think that there's enough overhang at the door top to keep rain out at that opening. Again, I wonder if the interior was cool if they would have gone back up. A rainfall would likely cool the interior off.

The civic doesn’t do this. Prob lowered via remote by accident

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Mine has never ever done this.

And there's not enough overhang to keep rainwater from coming through, even if it's just a quarter-inch. My EP3's window frames were better at blocking just enough rainwater (but not as good as the gutters on my family's '75 Plymouth).

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just discovered that if you turn the engine off before it's in Park, the car beeps and applies the parking brake.

gprice7135

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan (1.5T)
Country flag
Hi, I think I saw a similar thread a while back but after searching the forums I could not find it.

Do you know of any neat tricks with the 2017 Civic that the rest of us might not be aware of?

I'll go first

Tap the unlock button twice, then hold it in, unlocks all the doors, rolls down the windows and opens up the sunroof.

Please feel free to contribute.
Holding in the Traction Control button until the light comes on doesn’t actually completely disable it. You also need to disable the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA). To do this complete these instructions:

1. Car On

2. TC Off & On

3. Parking Brake On

4. Release Brake

5. TC Off & On

6. Hold Brake

7. TC Off & On

If done correctly, you’ll see a rapidly flashing dash light indicating VSA is disabled.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

gprice7135

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan (1.5T)
Country flag

Aragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
A trick that turns the parking brake on everytime the engine is turned off in park.
Seen a few people discussing this around here with the early seatbelt trick, turning their cars off in drive, ect.. but never this one.

-Have brake hold active and come to a stop (when both green lights are active)
-Take your foot off the brake before shifting to park instead of after. Never touch the brake pedal again.
-Shift into park and turn off the engine. That's it.

It's especially useful with passengers since it's a smooth transition that doesn't bounce the car off it's pawl when parking. I've seen people trip and fall out of other cars in the past due to that, it's not pretty.

Of course when you got back in with your seatbelt on, you can just take off without touching the button either, but that's already well known.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
It's especially useful with passengers since it's a smooth transition that doesn't bounce the car off it's pawl when parking. I've seen people trip and fall out of other cars in the past due to that, it's not pretty.
Or keeping your foot on the brake while you put the car into Park and engage the parking brake also keeps the car from bouncing off the parking pawl. Every car I've ever driven works the same way.
Sponsored