Hidden Features/Quirks you did not know about the Honda 2017 Civic

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I haven't seen anything about this, mind explaining it a little better, a bit confused on what you are saying.
Speed-sensitive wipers.

Every Honda I've owned in the last 10 years has had them. I first saw them 28 years ago on the Chevrolet Beretta/Corsica.

Also, if you're stopped while the wipers are set to intermittent, they'll wipe immediately as soon as the brake pedal is released so that the windshield is clear as you take off.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hidden Features/Quirks you did not know about the Honda 2017 Civic delaywipers
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I have the SI and I read it here that if parking brake is applied, it can be released by itself when the car starts moving.
I tried it and it did not work. Maybe I read it wrong.......
did you have your seat belt on?

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
I have the SI and I read it here that if parking brake is applied, it can be released by itself when the car starts moving.
I tried it and it did not work. Maybe I read it wrong.......
Yeah they all do this. The moment you accelerate the handbrake disengages. It's somewhere in the manual.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
Yeah they all do this. The moment you accelerate the handbrake disengages. It's somewhere in the manual.
I could swear I’ve driven off once or twice with the parking brake on and my seat belt on.
I also can’t find any parking brake reference online.
The brake hold feature is different.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am talking about the parking brake, not brake hold.
I don’t remember. I will try it again. Thanks.
you have to.give it a little more gas than usual, before pushing the clutch, then it will release.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Yes. You need your seatbelt on for that feature to work. I do it all the time.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
you have to.give it a little more gas than usual, before pushing the clutch, then it will release.
Thanks. I will try tomorrow with the seatbelt on.
If there is a special procedure (putting more gas), I don’t need it. If I have to do something special, I will rather release it manually. It ‘s just that I forget sometimes.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
yes i understand .... you need to have the seat belt on for it to automatically release. I only really give it the same amount of gas as if I had brake hold on and it releases...

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I haven't seen anything about this, mind explaining it a little better, a bit confused on what you are saying.
Yea I've noticed this as well within a week or 2 of owning the car (Apr. 2017 is when I bought and picked it up). I didn't see this as a hidden quirk though.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks. I will try tomorrow with the seatbelt on.
If there is a special procedure (putting more gas), I don’t need it. If I have to do something special, I will rather release it manually. It ‘s just that I forget sometimes.
There's no special procedure, just a specific order. Civic in neutral without clutch pressed or park for automatic trans, put seat belt on, shift into gear and press gas to move car and parking break will release. This works for forwards or reverse.

Also if you have Brake Hold on and your seat belt buckled, you can place vehicle in neutral or park then un-buckle your seat belt and the parking brake will automatically apply.

With both of these processes, you can engage and disengage the parking break without ever touching the button.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my parking brake does not release if i try to start only releasing the clutch without accelerator, to me would be natural to do like that on cold starts since the engine is already revving over 1000.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Also if you have Brake Hold on and your seat belt buckled, you can place vehicle in neutral or park then un-buckle your seat belt and the parking brake will automatically apply.
I gotta try this the next time I drive. I don't always use Brake Hold, so it never crosses my mind that it might do something when I've parked. I've wondered why it doesn't just automatically put on the parking brake after shifting the transmission into Park by default (that is, without requiring Brake Hold to be switched on beforehand).

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've wondered why it doesn't just automatically put on the parking brake after shifting the transmission into Park by default (that is, without requiring Brake Hold to be switched on beforehand).
I would imagine the reasoning is that this car comes in both manual and automatic transmissions, and since manuals don't have a park gear they had to make it compatible with both versions.

It really screwed with me the first time I unbuckled my seat belt at a drive through with brake hold on.
Sponsored